Thoughts On The Binax Home Test

KennyFla

With the shortened window to get tested prior to the cruise, we decided to do the at home test.  We were able to buy 2 Binax AG Card supervised tests for $69 from Optum health.  There were none on Amazon, and Emed would only list a 6 pack for $150.

We got expedited shipping, and the cost is FSA and HSA eligible.  We did the order yesterday(Monday), and this morning I got an email that it had shipped and would Wednesday before noon.  The tests come with an emed supervision and verification.

Our cruise is in October, so we may schedule a pcr test at Walgreens at the 48hr mark as insurance.

• Like 2

We ordered from emed and expect delivery today. 
We will be vacationing in Florida for 7 days before we leave on our cruise 11/14 and I wanted to be able to test a few days after we arrive in FL and then again during the required 48hr window. 

We are renting a condo and I plan to cook most meals so we won’t be around a lot of people and I didn’t want the headache of trying to schedule a test and get the results back in time before our cruise. 

10 hours ago, KennyFla said:

With the shortened window to get tested prior to the cruise, we decided to do the at home test.  We were able to buy 2 Binax AG Card supervised tests for $69 from Optum health.  There were none on Amazon, and Emed would only list a 6 pack for $150.

We got expedited shipping, and the cost is FSA and HSA eligible.  We did the order yesterday(Monday), and this morning I got an email that it had shipped and would Wednesday before noon.  The tests come with an emed supervision and verification.

Our cruise is in October, so we may schedule a pcr test at Walgreens at the 48hr mark as insurance.

I just ordered two sets (pre-boarding/return to US) from optum. For the extra $11, I should have gotten the 6 pack at emed. I checked yesterday, the EU cruises still had 3 days--or I missed a section. Today, that section now shows 2 days. We're on the Seashore TA from BCN, Nov 2, but will fly out of MIA and JFK on Oct. 31. 

On 9/7/2021 at 4:38 PM, Rhea98 said:

I just ordered two sets (pre-boarding/return to US) from optum. For the extra $11, I should have gotten the 6 pack at emed. I checked yesterday, the EU cruises still had 3 days--or I missed a section. Today, that section now shows 2 days. We're on the Seashore TA from BCN, Nov 2, but will fly out of MIA and JFK on Oct. 31. 

Update FYI: I received the tests quickly; however, it appears they will expire on Oct. 3. The product page says the tests may expire by Dec 15, which would have been fine as our cruise ends Nov. 18.  Will update when I hear back from them. 

2 hours ago, Rhea98 said:

Update FYI: I received the tests quickly; however, it appears they will expire on Oct. 3. The product page says the tests may expire by Dec 15, which would have been fine as our cruise ends Nov. 18.  Will update when I hear back from them. 

The FDA has extended the shelf life on these tests. So if you look at the sticker on the box it will show the date the tests were made…they will expire 12 months from that day instead of 8 months from that day which was the original shelf life. 

My tests also say expire in Oct but I phoned the company and they directed me to the letter from the FDA that extends the date. 
After I phoned them I noticed on the outside of the box that there was a scan code that went directly to the FDA letter. 
I printed out the letter because I don’t need the tests til November and I don’t want any problems when I go to use them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, styles27 said:

The FDA has extended the shelf life on these tests. So if you look at the sticker on the box it will show the date the tests were made…they will expire 12 months from that day instead of 8 months from that day which was the original shelf life. 

My tests also say expire in Oct but I phoned the company and they directed me to the letter from the FDA that extends the date. 
After I phoned them I noticed on the outside of the box that there was a scan code that went directly to the FDA letter. 
I printed out the letter because I don’t need the tests til November and I don’t want any problems when I go to use them. 

Thanks. I am aware of this extension and have emailed Abbott with the Lot, etc code because the lot # did not match any on the PDF I'd viewed although there was one with the same original expiry with a "close" lot #. Like you, I want something official when it's time to test. I have not been able to get any box codes to open any PDF. I found the PDF online.

Edited by Rhea98
  • Like 1

Sounds like most of us have our bases covered. 🙄

we also are doing local antigen test and have a 6 pack of Binax NOW to use before cruise and for testing before second leg of B2B. 
If MSC offers Antigen test for free for B2B, might  go with that. 
But….may just do our own first to make sure we are negative 😉.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, phissy said:

Sounds like most of us have our bases covered. 🙄

we also are doing local antigen test and have a 6 pack of Binax NOW to use before cruise and for testing before second leg of B2B. 
If MSC offers Antigen test for free for B2B, might  go with that. 
But….may just do our own first to make sure we are negative 😉.

Phissy do your tests also have an Oct 21 expiration date?

Even though I know the shelf life has been extended I really wish they had placed a new sticker with the real expiration date on the test box. 

You know that feeling that something is bothering you and it’s out of your control? That’s how I’m feeling about it. I have visions of the online person asking to see the label and telling me the tests aren’t usable 🙈

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I have visions of the online person asking to see the label and telling me the tests aren’t usable

Well, the good news is they won't ask to see the lot number, expiration, etc. on the label. The bad news is that they won't have to. First step is scanning the QR code on that label with the NAVICA app so all that info is collected. But there's really no need to be concerned. The NAVICA app will show the new expiration date. And if you have any doubt that your test kit does have a new expiration date, just look up the lot number here:

https://www.health.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/Webpage Updates/COVID-19_BinaxNOW_Product_Expiry_Extension.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Phissy do your tests also have an Oct 21 expiration date?

Even though I know the shelf life has been extended I really wish they had placed a new sticker with the real expiration date on the test box. 

You know that feeling that something is bothering you and it’s out of your control? That’s how I’m feeling about it. I have visions of the online person asking to see the label and telling me the tests aren’t usable 🙈

Mine have Oct 3, 2021.

I did scan QR code on box and also went to eMed.com/FDA page.

We will use ours in November , for cruises and when we return home Dec 1.

We want to make sure we are negative before we spend time with family and grandkids.

We are retired medical professionals and two of our children are doctors. One actually works Emergency with almost all patients coming in with Covid. 

One reason I ordered these tests is because of talks with them .

I feel confident that , as long as I keep them in cool and dry area, they are good.  This is why they are overnighted.

My understanding about these tests is the following.

The FDA was concerned with the viability and reliability of reagents  originally.  Rapid Antigen tests were sorely needed earlier this year . FDA felt they would be used quickly .  Abbott then asked to have expiration dates extended after they were able to show test kits are reliable for , at least, one year after manufacture.  Released under EUA,  Abbott cannot change dates  originally approved by FDA. The updated approval letter serves as "new expiration date".

Here on the west coast, there is a shortage of Antigen tests at local pharmacies (CVS and Walgreens)

Cannot locate one for 500 miles here in Seattle.  With schools starting and people returning to work, the allocation of the antigen tests was directed to cover  urgent need in the public arena.  

Sorry, if this is TMI.

This may also be a factor in MSC deciding no longer offer tests at pier.

Bottom line,  We are good with the plan we have in place, going forward.

Hope this helps.

Now, just hope our cruises are not cancelled.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

Well, the good news is they won't ask to see the lot number, expiration, etc. on the label. The bad news is that they won't have to. First step is scanning the QR code on that label with the NAVICA app so all that info is collected. But there's really no need to be concerned. The NAVICA app will show the new expiration date. And if you have any doubt that your test kit does have a new expiration date, just look up the lot number here:

https://www.health.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/Webpage Updates/COVID-19_BinaxNOW_Product_Expiry_Extension.pdf

Thank you! Unfortunately the lot # I have isn’t on that list. Now wondering if I need to return these. 
Here’s a pic of the label on my test and all 6 of them are the same.  

987BCA7E-8ADF-41B9-B636-62973FB1311E.jpeg

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Mine have Oct 3, 2021.

I did scan QR code on box and also went to eMed.com/FDA page.

We will use ours in November , for cruises and when we return home Dec 1.

We want to make sure we are negative before we spend time with family and grandkids.

We are retired medical professionals and two of our children are doctors. One actually works Emergency with almost all patients coming in with Covid. 

One reason I ordered these tests is because of talks with them .

I feel confident that , as long as I keep them in cool and dry area, they are good.  This is why they are overnighted.

My understanding about these tests is the following.

The FDA was concerned with the viability and reliability of reagents  originally.  Rapid Antigen tests were sorely needed earlier this year . FDA felt they would be used quickly .  Abbott then asked to have expiration dates extended after they were able to show test kits are reliable for , at least, one year after manufacture.  Released under EUA,  Abbott cannot change dates  originally approved by FDA. The updated approval letter serves as "new expiration date".

Here on the west coast, there is a shortage of Antigen tests at local pharmacies (CVS and Walgreens)

Cannot locate one for 500 miles here in Seattle.  With schools starting and people returning to work, the allocation of the antigen tests was directed to cover  urgent need in the public arena.  

Sorry, if this is TMI.

This may also be a factor in MSC deciding no longer offer tests at pier.

Bottom line,  We are good with the plan we have in place, going forward.

Hope this helps.

Now, just hope our cruises are not cancelled.

Thanks so much and definitely not tmi. You’re very helpful. 
Here on the Northeast coast our rapid antigen appts are far and few between also.

Before recently retiring (last Friday was my last day 🥲 bittersweet)

I worked with seniors for the last 26yrs and we had some breakthrough cases at our facility. So even though we were all 100% vaccinated I and my coworkers  had been getting tested weekly.
The past month it’s almost impossible to find a rapid test appt so we’ve been doing pcr tests and having to wait 24-72 hrs for results.
The kiddos going back to school has definitely had an impact on testing appts.  here as well. 

Thank your children for me for working in medicine during these very trying times. Our daughter is in nursing school (career change for her as she’s 33) so we have the utmost respect for folks like you and your children and anyone who devotes their lives to helping the rest of us folks. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I searched my lot # and another list came up and it’s on that one so I’m feeling better about that. 

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

195-100 looks good. We have 195-200.

195-xxx lots are extended to 1 year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Thanks so much and definitely not tmi. You’re very helpful. 
Here on the Northeast coast our rapid antigen appts are far and few between also.

Before recently retiring (last Friday was my last day 🥲 bittersweet)

I worked with seniors for the last 26yrs and we had some breakthrough cases at our facility. So even though we were all 100% vaccinated I and my coworkers  had been getting tested weekly.
The past month it’s almost impossible to find a rapid test appt so we’ve been doing pcr tests and having to wait 24-72 hrs for results.
The kiddos going back to school has definitely had an impact on testing appts.  here as well. 

Thank your children for me for working in medicine during these very trying times. Our daughter is in nursing school (career change for her as she’s 33) so we have the utmost respect for folks like you and your children and anyone who devotes their lives to helping the rest of us folks. 

Your daughter deserves a hugh high five.

. I agree , those working in medical profession are all heroes right now. That includes you and your years of dedication to those dependent on your care. 

Nursing has become so challenging.  We told our son, a medical practice is only as good as it’s nurses. He feels the nurses are much better trained than the docs. They deserve all our respect and gratitude.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2021 at 4:15 PM, styles27 said:

I searched my lot # and another list came up and it’s on that one so I’m feeling better about that. 

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

Thanks for posting this, we have the 195-100 as well.

Weird, my tests have a higher lot number than yours, but a 2 day sooner expiration.

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 7:20 PM, styles27 said:

For anyone flying or otherwise traveling with the test kits, please be aware of the temperature range at which the kits must be stored. 

Anyone flying probably should have the kits in their carry on luggage.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

For anyone flying or otherwise traveling with the test kits, please be aware of the temperature range at which the kits must be stored. 

Anyone flying probably should have the kits in their carry on luggage.

I was thinking of that as well. Hopefully we won’t have a problem bringing them through security. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I was thinking of that as well. Hopefully we won’t have a problem bringing them through security. 

Security should be no issue.  Amount of reagent probably 1 ml.    According to Abbott, reagent amount 

<1ml.

Checked box labeling….box has Rx only listed. Prescription items are exempt from TSA liquids restrictions. 

9603EB2E-3ACC-4652-94C2-DB34DE2E0CAC.jpeg

Edited by phissy
Pic added
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, phissy said:

...But….may just do our own first to make sure we are negative 😉.

Are we paranoid, or what? I know I am. I I have at least two tests arranged (and an extra non-monitored one as that is what they recommend) to take BEFORE flying out of MIA to BCN! 🤪 

• Like 3

On 9/15/2021 at 4:15 PM, styles27 said:

Thank you. Yours is #4 of pdf's I've searched. This one has my lot # 142400.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Security should be no issue.  Amount of reagent probably 1 ml.    According to Abbott, reagent amount 

<1ml.

Checked box labeling….box has Rx only listed. Prescription items are exempt from TSA liquids restrictions. 

9603EB2E-3ACC-4652-94C2-DB34DE2E0CAC.jpeg

Thank you! I forgot about prescriptions being exempt from TSA liquids. 

I printed out the scripts with our names on them from the emed site so I’ll put them with the tests too. 

If anyone is interested in printing them out you just sign into your account on emed and go to your order, scroll down to where your names are listed and click on each name and the script will come up. 

• Like 1