Thoughts On The Binax Home Test

KennyFla

7 minutes ago, Rhea98 said:

Thank you. Yours is #4 of pdf's I've searched. This one has my lot # 142400.

So glad! I remembered you mentioned you couldn’t find your lot # on the other pdf so I was hoping it would be on this list. 

1 hour ago, Rhea98 said:

Are we paranoid, or what? I know I am. I I have at least two tests arranged (and an extra non-monitored one as that is what they recommend) to take BEFORE flying out of MIA to BCN! 🤪 

Not paranoid, just covering all bases. 
I would want to know I am good to go before flying to Barcelona!

Now I miss Barcelona….what a beautiful city. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, racephoto said:

Has anyone who has taken both the home test and the prescription test noticed if there was any difference between the two? I’m just curious.

Rx test is telemonitored.  You have to have them watch you open box and take the test correctly. 

If you are referring  to actual test, I believe it is the same.  

9 hours ago, phissy said:

Rx test is telemonitored.  You have to have them watch you open box and take the test correctly. 

If you are referring  to actual test, I believe it is the same.  

I just wondered. I figured the monitoring was the only difference.  I ordered a pack of two of the non-prescription kits for pre-test testing 😄and I was kind of surprised that the box wasn’t shrink-wrapped.

8 hours ago, racephoto said:

I just wondered. I figured the monitoring was the only difference.  I ordered a pack of two of the non-prescription kits for pre-test testing 😄and I was kind of surprised that the box wasn’t shrink-wrapped.

The 6 Rx tele monitored tests I received weren’t shrink wrapped either. Just 6 individually boxed tests packed in a larger brown box. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, phissy said:

Sounds like most of us have our bases covered. 🙄

we also are doing local antigen test and have a 6 pack of Binax NOW to use before cruise and for testing before second leg of B2B. 
If MSC offers Antigen test for free for B2B, might  go with that. 
But….may just do our own first to make sure we are negative 😉.

Yeah…I’m trying to figure out what to do for our B2B in November!!

We can certainly test before the first week. But I can’t seem to get a clear answer about the testing process or requirement for the second week.

DO NOT want to be told on embarkation day of the second week that we have to get off and find a test to reboard!  😬

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

The 6 Rx tele monitored tests I received weren’t shrink wrapped either. Just 6 individually boxed tests packed in a larger brown box. 

Do you know if those tests can be used by others that you do not list as a user when you purchase them?

Originally I thought of purchasing the pack of six and then splitting them with the other couple that we are going to sail with  - but I see only 3 users/birthdates can be listed. 

Edited by happy cruzin

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

Cool.That’s good to know. I felt a little uneasy about that…..so many counterfeits of everything on Amazon these days. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

Is it one box (2 tests in the box) per traveler?? 

Do you know if those tests can be used by others that you do not list as a user when you purchase them. 

Originally I thought of purchasing the pack of six and then splitting them with the other couple that we are going to sail with  - but I see only 3 users/birthdates can be listed. 

The box of 6 has 6 separate boxes. Each with QR code. 

Make sure to follow instructions for use. There are YouTube videos for instructions. Avoid contamination, wash hands throughly before testing.

$25 a test you want a definitive result.
we are sailing Nov 13 (Meraviglia) and staying on for 8 day Nov 20 repositioning to PC.

we will use 2 before cruise, 2 for second leg ( if needed) and 2 upon return home, to make sure we don’t need to quarantine.

*it has been reported that the test does not need to be person  listed on purchase application.

See other threads for Binax NOW Rapid Antigen.

B2B cruisers have reported that MSC provided test between cruises.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phissy said:

The box of 6 has 6 separate boxes. Each with QR code. 

Make sure to follow instructions for use. There are YouTube videos for instructions. Avoid contamination, wash hands throughly before testing.

$25 a test you want a definitive result.
we are sailing Nov 13 (Meraviglia) and staying on for 8 day Nov 20 repositioning to PC.

we will use 2 before cruise, 2 for second leg ( if needed) and 2 upon return home, to make sure we don’t need to quarantine.

*it has been reported that the test does not need to be person  listed on purchase application.

See other threads for Binax NOW Rapid Antigen.

B2B cruisers have reported that MSC provided test between cruises.

Thanks…I had not seen that anywhere! 

3 hours ago, racephoto said:

Cool.That’s good to know. I felt a little uneasy about that…..so many counterfeits of everything on Amazon these days. 

I ordered mine from emed.com. Amazon didn’t have them when I looked probably because you need an RX to get them. Emed.com provided the script and I paid with our FSA card 

• Thanks 1

We just used the monitored Binax test and have some notes about it. The end result was two documents showing negative and that's what matters most, but wouldn't say the process went without hitch.

• I had understood the monitoring would be done via the Navica app. Although you can start there, it very quickly tells you to log into emed.com instead.
  • I normally use Chrome for my browser on my iOS device. I got a message saying they didn't support my browser and that I needed to use Safari.
  • When I got to the point of dropping six drops of reagent onto the test card, I discovered that the bottle was empty! The test monitor sort of indicated that was not uncommon, and they'd be happy to ship me a replacement kit which would arrive too late for this cruise. Fortunately, I had purchased an extra kit just to make sure. So I'd highly suggest having a spare kit or two, and/or a backup plan.

With those caveats said, I found this to be an excellent way to take the pre-cruise test. Never encountered a wait of more than a minute or so.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, publicpersona said:

We just used the monitored Binax test and have some notes about it. The end result was two documents showing negative and that's what matters most, but wouldn't say the process went without hitch.

• I had understood the monitoring would be done via the Navica app. Although you can start there, it very quickly tells you to log into emed.com instead.
  • I normally use Chrome for my browser on my iOS device. I got a message saying they didn't support my browser and that I needed to use Safari.
  • When I got to the point of dropping six drops of reagent onto the test card, I discovered that the bottle was empty! The test monitor sort of indicated that was not uncommon, and they'd be happy to ship me a replacement kit which would arrive too late for this cruise. Fortunately, I had purchased an extra kit just to make sure. So I'd highly suggest having a spare kit or two, and/or a backup plan.

With those caveats said, I found this to be an excellent way to take the pre-cruise test. Never encountered a wait of more than a minute or so.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I hope they still send you a new test to replace the empty bottle one. 

Looks like I’ll be bringing all 6 of the tests  we purchased even though we only need 2. 

Did you use your phone for the monitoring?

I just finished the test this morning.

Can confirm: You can use the tests for different people, regardless of who purchased them - other adults need their own Navica/emed accounts.  Children and other people you health proxy for can be added via the app.

I saw on Youtube that people experienced queues.  For us, around 9am (East Coast) we experienced zero wait time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Did you use your phone for the monitoring?

Yes. I started in the Navica app with "I have a test" and I had assumed the monitoring would proceed from there. Instead, it directed me to log into emed.com and I think it even said "on your desktop". I don't have camera/mic on my desktop, so tried to use Chrome on my iPhone instead. Then it said I had an unsupported browser and that I should use Safari.

It helps to have two people so one can hold the camera, although for much of it the front-facing camera is used. The other person needs to sort of look over their shoulder to frame the shot. I asked if I could switch to the camera on the back and the test monitor said that it couldn't be switched. Yet at one point (looking at the result), it did switch to the back camera.

11 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

Yes. I started in the Navica app with "I have a test" and I had assumed the monitoring would proceed from there. Instead, it directed me to log into emed.com and I think it even said "on your desktop". I don't have camera/mic on my desktop, so tried to use Chrome on my iPhone instead. Then it said I had an unsupported browser and that I should use Safari.

It helps to have two people so one can hold the camera, although for much of it the front-facing camera is used. The other person needs to sort of look over their shoulder to frame the shot. I asked if I could switch to the camera on the back and the test monitor said that it couldn't be switched. Yet at one point (looking at the result), it did switch to the back camera.

Ok perfect. Thank you!  I’ll have my iPad with me for backup. We’ll be staying in a condo in FL the week before our cruise so we’ll be conducting the tests down there. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, publicpersona said:

So I'd highly suggest having a spare kit or two, and/or a backup plan.

I should mention that when we discovered that the reagent bottle was empty, the test proctor simply had us get another bottle from another kit. It didn't seem to matter if it was one of the kits that include monitoring or not. The spare I had did, but it could just as well be the same test available without monitoring for 2 for $14 at Walmart (when in stock). Be careful here, though. If you have a failed test for some reason, your test monitor may require you start with a whole new kit that includes monitoring.

I'll also update that I let Optum know one of the kits was defective, and they pledged to make it right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, publicpersona said:

I should mention that when we discovered that the reagent bottle was empty, the test proctor simply had us get another bottle from another kit. It didn't seem to matter if it was one of the kits that include monitoring or not. The spare I had did, but it could just as well be the same test available without monitoring for 2 for $14 at Walmart (when in stock). Be careful here, though. If you have a failed test for some reason, your test monitor may require you start with a whole new kit that includes monitoring.

I'll also update that I let Optum know one of the kits was defective, and they pledged to make it right.

we only have 2 kits.  Is there enough in one bottle to cover both tests if needed?

2 hours ago, KennyFla said:

we only have 2 kits.  Is there enough in one bottle to cover both tests if needed?

That's a great question but I'm afraid I can't answer it. Since I had the spare kit, I didn't even think to try that, and I've already thrown away the bottles. The bottle could possibly hold more than six drops but does it? I don't know.

9 hours ago, publicpersona said:

That's a great question but I'm afraid I can't answer it. Since I had the spare kit, I didn't even think to try that, and I've already thrown away the bottles. The bottle could possibly hold more than six drops but does it? I don't know.

It does.  Our bottles had drops left over.

On a side note. We did get dropped on the call for our second test at the point of twirling the swab in the test holes.  We were able to reconnect after about 5 minutes and the test was able to proceed.  It just meant that the time of test developing was longer than 15 minutes.  The test technicians were very understanding and helpful.  It required going in and starting a new test session and explaining to the tech what happened.  The NAVICA app is very smart and the tech saw all the data to proceed.  I was very impressed.

• Like 2