When Princess damage your luggage?

les37b

4 hours ago, les37b said:

No such regs exists for UK/EU flights that exclude this. Plus consumer laws are very much on the side of the consumer this side of the pond, where the attitude is "well you better take good care of things you are looking after then". Not that flights are relevant in this event as all they had to do was wheel it off the ship and they failed. On the subject of flights, if the airline gets you to your destination 3 hours late, would you expect compensation and if yes, how much? I'm interested to hear this.

Actually the cruise line packs it, then port workers take it off ship, and remove it from the containers.  In the US due to union rules, the cruise line has no oversite and control over those workers.   Which is why in the US insurance companies often require both the cruise company and the pier organization have to show what they will or will not pay before processing a claim. 

The whole point about mentioning the airlines was to show that spinner suitcases are very prone to damage due to the wheels protruding from the case.   Even saw one get snapped off in baggage claim once when a bag on the carousel when it was coming of of the conveyor and get squeezed against the edge by other bags already on the carousel.

As far as a 3 hour flight delay no compensation in the US.  The passenger can choose to cancel and get a refund but no compensation if they take the flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Actually the cruise line packs it, then port workers take it off ship, and remove it from the containers.  In the US due to union rules, the cruise line has no oversite and control over those workers.   Which is why in the US insurance companies often require both the cruise company and the pier organization have to show what they will or will not pay before processing a claim. 

The whole point about mentioning the airlines was to show that spinner suitcases are very prone to damage due to the wheels protruding from the case.   Even saw one get snapped off in baggage claim once when a bag on the carousel when it was coming of of the conveyor and get squeezed against the edge by other bags already on the carousel.

As far as a 3 hour flight delay no compensation in the US.  The passenger can choose to cancel and get a refund but no compensation if they take the flight.

And the reason I asked that question was to clarify the differences in consumer laws. If my flight to the US is delayed by 3 hours, it's going to cost the airline €600. Different countries, different rules. 

You've mentioned union rules in the US etc. I'm sure you will understand, it has zero bearing in the UK. 

I have no contract with an un-named and unknown (and if applicable) port staff. But I do with Princess. Same applies with airlines and airports. If my BA flight damaged my case, who do you think would be the ones paying up? It certainly wouldn't be the foreign airport staff or luggage handlers at Heathrow. And that is despite, pretty much the only BA staff who touched the case was at check in.  Unfair? Maybe..... But just how it is.

10 minutes ago, les37b said:

And the reason I asked that question was to clarify the differences in consumer laws. If my flight to the US is delayed by 3 hours, it's going to cost the airline €600. Different countries, different rules. 

You've mentioned union rules in the US etc. I'm sure you will understand, it has zero bearing in the UK. 

I have no contract with an un-named and unknown (and if applicable) port staff. But I do with Princess. Same applies with airlines and airports. If my BA flight damaged my case, who do you think would be the ones paying up? It certainly wouldn't be the foreign airport staff or luggage handlers at Heathrow. And that is despite, pretty much the only BA staff who touched the case was at check in.  Unfair? Maybe..... But just how it is.

Again the point was to point out the complexities in luggage handling that the majority of the process in moving luggage to and from the ship is actually done by dock workers (it is the same in the UK) that are not under the control of the cruise line, even if the cruise line might be held accountable.

As well as the fact that spinner bags are very easily damaged.  

Keep in mind that even at Heathrow the baggage handlers are either  employees of companies contracted by the airlines or airline employees, so the airlines have oversight and direct control.  Unlike at the docks where the stevedores are not cruise line employees or contracted by the cruise line and the cruise lines have very limited oversight. 

Edited by nocl

6 minutes ago, nocl said:

Again the point was to point out the complexities in luggage handling that the majority of the process in moving luggage to and from the ship is actually done by dock workers (it is the same in the UK) that are not under the control of the cruise line, even if the cruise line might be held accountable.

As well as the fact that spinner bags are very easily damaged.  

If your baggage is damaged or lost on your flight, who do you think will be liable? The airline barely touch it.

As for spinners being easy to damage, I've never seen one damaged wheeling 100m yet. That's real negligence to achieve that. And again, unless you know of Princess T&C's specifying not to use them, it's completely irrelevant.

24 minutes ago, les37b said:

If your baggage is damaged or lost on your flight, who do you think will be liable? The airline barely touch it.

As for spinners being easy to damage, I've never seen one damaged wheeling 100m yet. That's real negligence to achieve that. And again, unless you know of Princess T&C's specifying not to use them, it's completely irrelevant.

Actually the airlines do touch it.  The baggage handlers that load the cart are airplane employees or contractors hired by the airlines, even at Heathrow.  The people that take it off of the planes are the same airline employees or contractors hired by the airlines.  The people that take it off the cart and put it on the conveyor systems the same.  Basically with the airlines most, if not all of the touches are airline employees or contractors hired by the airlines.  About the only place where the airlines do not have control is the time from when they are removed from the cart and placed on the conveyor.

In what you call 100 Meters  involves collecting the luggage and transporting it to the cargo area of the ship where it is sorted and loaded into into containers where it can be fork lifted off of the ship. (end of touch by cruise personnel).  Dock workers pick up the container and move it off the ship and into the passenger terminal.  Dock workers  then unload the containers and position it in the passenger terminal.  A bit different then just wheeling it 100 meters.  At least they did not dump the container into the water, saw that happen once).  The damage can happen at any one of those steps.

The T&C's do not mention spinners, but lots of articles exist detailing the issue with spinners vs the two wheeled bags with the wheels mostly enclosed inside.  Though they do limit the amount of liability per bag for damage or loss with and without insurance.

My experience with cruise line damaged luggage:

a) One time with Princess a wheel was broken off when the suitcase arrived at the cabin. I brought the empty suitcase to the Purser's desk. Within two days it was returned with the wheel firmly attached. Obviously Princess found the detached wheel on board.

b) Another time on Princess the wheel was partially detached when the suitcase was delivered to the cabin. Brought the empty suitcase to the Purser's desk. It was returned in a couple of days with the wheel firmly attached again.

c) After a Carnival cruise the suitcase was damaged (plastic part cracked open) in the terminal. I reported the dame then to a CCL staff member who filled out a damage form and gave me a copy so I could file a claim. Carnival asked for a repair estimate and I sent them a note from a repair shop that the cracked plastic could not be repaired. Carnival then said I could replace the suitcase and send them the receipt for reimbursement. I did and they sent me a check.

• 7 months later...

We just disembarked a few days ago from Regal Princess in Barcelona and when we arrived at the port terminal, my husband discovered the handle was broken off his bag.  It was left outside cabin door previous night in perfect condition.  The handle was set atop the bag disguising anything broken but once he tried to pick up the handle it wasn't attached. We couldn't find a Princess representative - only bus transfer and port terminal staff so we took a picture at the terminal.  Based on the comments on this thread, I'm not sure if we can expect any remedy to this. We may choose self-service walk off in the future to avoid a repeat of this.  Any suggestions or recent experience would be appreciated.

I would suggest that a handle coming completely off a suitcase is very rare.  Changing to self-disembarkation to get around this is a solution for getting off the ship but the same issue could occur with the airline.  I would not change to self-disembarkation unless this was a good option in itself.

Regards John

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, JoMoKe said:

We just disembarked a few days ago from Regal Princess in Barcelona and when we arrived at the port terminal, my husband discovered the handle was broken off his bag.  It was left outside cabin door previous night in perfect condition.  The handle was set atop the bag disguising anything broken but once he tried to pick up the handle it wasn't attached. We couldn't find a Princess representative - only bus transfer and port terminal staff so we took a picture at the terminal.  Based on the comments on this thread, I'm not sure if we can expect any remedy to this. We may choose self-service walk off in the future to avoid a repeat of this.  Any suggestions or recent experience would be appreciated.

It happens, luckily it’s only a minor repair.

Many manufacturers can supply a new handle (self fit) and one’s actually repairs/replaces FOC

Best to contact the maker’s customer service.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

The retractable handle on my suitcase got bent somewhere between my cabin door and the baggage hall after disembarking the Regal in Southampton a couple years ago. Looks like someone had extended the handle then knocked the case over against a wall or something. I didn't think to report it at the time but managed to source a replacement handle online, sent a copy of the invoice to Princess customer services and a week or two later a cheque arrived in the post finding the cost in full. Hats off to Princess, YMMV.

Baggage handlers have no reason to use the retractable handle so on my next cruise I'll take some cable ties to secure it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1