No Canadians allowed on MSC

Scubadog007

56 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Not even Shatner???

Heard today Shatner is going up to space so he doesn’t want to cruise anyway lol

1 hour ago, Scubadog007 said:

Just a heads up that as of October 1st  Any one residing in Canada will not be allowed on any MSC ship. This no sail for Canada will be updated on October 31st.

This is a continuation of their “no Canadians” policy right?  I’ve seen some Canadian folks post here that their cruises have been cancelled the last couple of months. 

• Like 1

It's actually because MSC in their infinite wisdom has mandated that everyone carry full Covid insurance and at present, Canadians can't purchase any due the GOC Level 4 Avoid all Cruises.

MSC and the insurance companies are hoping that that will be reduced to a level 3 Nov.1 when the ban on cruise ships in Can. waters is lifted.

To ensure peace of mind, MSC Cruises requires all guests to have a specific and mandatory Covid-19 insurance policy to embark, covering against COVID-19 related risks, i.e cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and related expenses, as well as hospitalization. A proof of the specific COVID-19 coverage insurance policy - which must be in one of the following languages: English, Italian, German, French or Spanish - must be presented at embarkation or boarding will be denied.

21 hours ago, macmax said:

It's actually because MSC in their infinite wisdom has mandated that everyone carry full Covid insurance and at present, Canadians can't purchase any due the GOC Level 4 Avoid all Cruises.

MSC and the insurance companies are hoping that that will be reduced to a level 3 Nov.1 when the ban on cruise ships in Can. waters is lifted.

To ensure peace of mind, MSC Cruises requires all guests to have a specific and mandatory Covid-19 insurance policy to embark, covering against COVID-19 related risks, i.e cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and related expenses, as well as hospitalization. A proof of the specific COVID-19 coverage insurance policy - which must be in one of the following languages: English, Italian, German, French or Spanish - must be presented at embarkation or boarding will be denied.

MSC provides a Covid insurance policy to everyone vaccinated correct?  Or is that just for US citizens?

58 minutes ago, phillibl said:

MSC provides a Covid insurance policy to everyone vaccinated correct?  Or is that just for US citizens?

Do you mean offer for an extra fee?  Yes they do but most people can do better through an independent travel insurance group.

1 hour ago, phillibl said:

No the Covid assistance plan is free of charge.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

I am on a Caribbean cruise in January. They tried to sell me their insurance at $460. I had thought it was free but it’s not per FAQ:

- Is travel insurance required in order to cruise?

A travel protection plan with coverage for COVID-19 is recommended for guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated.

This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your cruise. If you’ve already booked your cruise and have not purchased a travel protection plan with coverage for COVID-19, you may call 844-579-4349, if you booked direct with MSC Cruises, or contact your travel advisor to add this to your booking prior to final payment. 

View full details of MSC Cruises Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19

well, I got insurance for $81 instead.

• Like 1

Just got off the phone with MSC, they confirmed the Covid assistance policy is included for vaccinated pax and kids, but full insurance is not. Insurance is recommended not required for US.  Insurance is required for EU and Med. So the same thing the website says under Health and Safety 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, phillibl said:

No the Covid assistance plan is free of charge.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

Thanks for this. I am curious about it not having a date or other identifying document numbers. It seems to contradict what we have been seeing on the website: 

Is travel insurance required in order to cruise?

A travel protection plan with coverage for COVID-19 is recommended for guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated.

This must be purchased prior to making final payment on your cruise. If you’ve already booked your cruise and have not purchased a travel protection plan with coverage for COVID-19, you may call 844-579-4349, if you booked direct with MSC Cruises, or contact your travel advisor to add this to your booking prior to final payment. 

View full details of MSC Cruises Travel Protection Plan with coverage for COVID-19