Best way to call UK Landline

Mrk2868

Whilst on a forthcoming Caribbean cruise I need to be able to call an UK landline, from the ship or port.  I'm quite happy to restrict the calls to port days.  As it's a landline then solutions as WhatsApp, Facetime & Skype can be used.  If I use mobile phone roaming or satellite phones service on-board then cost of calls are very high.  £2-£3/minute if not more.  Any ideas of a cheaper way to call home?

4 minutes ago, Mrk2868 said:

Whilst on a forthcoming Caribbean cruise I need to be able to call an UK landline, from the ship or port.  I'm quite happy to restrict the calls to port days.  As it's a landline then solutions as WhatsApp, Facetime & Skype can be used.  If I use mobile phone roaming or satellite phones service on-board then cost of calls are very high.  £2-£3/minute if not more.  Any ideas of a cheaper way to call home?

I believe P&O have a low cost wi fi  package that includes social media, but not sure about video calls, although standard phone calls via SM  may be possible.

The best thing to do is go on your mobile phone network providers website and see if what they offer on worldwide calls. There may be a package you can buy for the duration of your holiday which will allow you to call home when you are in port. Personally I wouldn't even attempt a call from the ship unless you are in port. I'm with Vodafone and they have one where you can use your UK package  data, text and calls whilst abroad. Hth

Whilst on Iona you could only video call if you had the most expensive WiFi package, so it worked out very expensive. I’d downloaded Skype and put the minimum £5 credit on which I used whilst on Princess but ended up purchasing the middle WiFi on Iona and WhatsApp messaging people who would then check on my parents for me

• Like 1

I suspect I will have to go down the route of sending WhatsApp messages and getting people to check how my mother is.  The mobile provider I'm with does not offer a roaming package outside Europe, and want nearly as much as the satellite phone on-board per minute.

Video/Voice calls over WhatsApp/Facetime etc. are no good as my mother does not know how to use internet or smart phones.  Just regular BT Landline.  

Any more ideas much appreciated.

That's why I downloaded and put credit on Skype it was brill on Princess as able to call their landline and still have most of the £5 credit left. Would it be possible to do this and find a WiFi hotspot in port, we've never been to the Carribbean so don't know what the WiFi is like

On 10/7/2021 at 4:24 PM, Stokie33 said:

That's why I downloaded and put credit on Skype it was brill on Princess as able to call their landline and still have most of the £5 credit left. Would it be possible to do this and find a WiFi hotspot in port, we've never been to the Carribbean so don't know what the WiFi is like

I would second that. For basic phone calls,  Skype is hard to beat. 

Just one proviso - if someone has put a call blocker on their phone to prevent spam calls,  that will prevent them getting  Skype calls.

I did this for my Mum. She no longer gets spam calls,  but I now cannot call her on Skype !