Planning Ahead for an April 2022 Cruise

lackcreativity

After three cancellations/changed cruises over the last two years, we have paid our final balance for the Mediterranean & Italian Sojourn for April 9, 2022. Considering that still seems so far away, I have not been monitoring any of the threads related to all the hoops to be jumped through for international travel. (Well, except that we have been vaccinated with booster shots scheduled, but we would have done that anyway.)

Things have changed so much during the time of Covid, and I expect things will continue to change over the next six months. Hoping for moving closer to "normal", but maybe not. I am doing my routine research of potential excursions, port research ( in case of the chance of exploring independently) and even restaurant reviews. I didn't want to stress now over all the covid testing, VeriFly, and other such requirements for current travel.

Am I missing out on things I should be informed about, or can I wait until the new year to start paying attention to that side of things? 

Edited by lackcreativity

15 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

Am I missing out on things I should be informed about, or can I wait until the new year to start paying attention to that side of things? 

As we get closer to the end of this year or start the new year, check out the Viking forums for "Live" threads - cruisers will be posting about the actual conditions and how or if Viking is changing any of their travel rules.

• Like 1

Your trip is six months away.  Six months ago the Delta varient had barely begun to spread in the US.  Of course that was for the worse.  It could go the other way for the better!

As long as you are willing to follow all the current on board protocols and willing to do all the pre cruise things for your cruise whatever they may be, don't stress about it now.  Research your ports, the things you like to do and see and have fun doing it.  Everything else will fall into place when the time comes and you will accomplish all the necessary to do things when necessary.

Glad to see you back!   It depends on what sort of person you are.

Are you one to want to plan every detail now?  Or the other side.  I would bet that things will indeed change a  lot between now and next spring.  My own personal beliefs are to not stress and deal with it when get closer to the cruise.  You could drive yourself crazy and full of worries otherwise.  Sadly, in these times, that seems to be the case.  The downside is that you miss a lot of the fun planning ahead of a cruise.   I don't think you'll miss much, especially since you can always go read posts and your Roll calls and pick up quickly anything of relevance.  Some Roll Calls are so long and detailed discussions on every little twist and turn of rules, regulations, restrictions and such, that in the end it doesn't lend any new information.  Your choice!  Happy cruising!

TayanaLorna,

It is funny, when this all first started, I remember thinking "I am not sure I would want to travel if I had to wear a mask". It's been so long now, I might even wear full PPE if necessary!

CCWineLover,

I think I am more the "plan but improvise" kind. I do like the research about the places we are going to visit. How else to fill up the time between trips? But surprises happen in real life, and I try not to let them ruin a vacation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

TayanaLorna,

It is funny, when this all first started, I remember thinking "I am not sure I would want to travel if I had to wear a mask". It's been so long now, I might even wear full PPE if necessary!

CCWineLover,

I think I am more the "plan but improvise" kind. I do like the research about the places we are going to visit. How else to fill up the time between trips? But surprises happen in real life, and I try not to let them ruin a vacation.

I like your approach - that describes me as well!  Plan but Improvise - expect the unexpected and go with the flow.   Having been through the new cruising protocols on our Welcome Back Cruise this summer, and discovering that we could indeed "go with the flow", get through changes, and still have a wonderful time - has given us the total confidence that cruising again is still worthwhile, even in these difficult and different times.  It might not ever be the same again, but we'll still be out there!

• Like 2

We sailed on one of the first 'around England' Viking cruises in May and ventured on our first 'international' cruise last month on the Viking Sea from Malta around Croatia - where we could explore freely. For both cruises we didn't really plan anything until a couple of weeks before we sailed - with a review of risks etc just before the 14-day limit for risk-free cancellation.

Both cruises were great. The second didn't feel quite so safe as there was a significant minority of passengers who wouldn't wear masks but still reasonably low risk. We didn't book any extras (excursions, drinks package etc) in advance in case we needed to cancel (apart from one optional walking tour in Malta as we had decided not to go on the 3 hour included bus tour with a bus fall of people straight off long haul flights). We also didn't book port/airport parking until we had passed the 14-day point and didn't book COVID tests until a few of days before sailing in case requirements changed (although we lined up a test company that could do the tests at short notice). We wore what I would call 'weapons grade' face masks on the planes and in airports (the queue for the health documentation checks in Malta airport was very long, with no social distancing) and 'ordinary' masks on the ship (although Janet had a couple of 'bling' masks for evening wear).

We've got two more Viking cruises booked for 2022 and plan to adopt a similar approach for those - assuming nothing dramatic changes before then. I'm sure you'll have a great time on your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1