Coronavirus Restrictions in Switzerland and Netherlands

Psoque

• 2 weeks later...

I just read this update: https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/tackling-new-coronavirus-in-the-netherlands/measures-announced

and here:

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2022/03/how-do-the-latest-changes-to-the-coronavirus-rules-affect-travellers/

if I understand correctly, this means fully vaccinated travelers from the US do not need a negative test to enter the Netherlands?!? 

Edited by Gopherpharm
Add link to news article

13 minutes ago, Gopherpharm said:

I just read this update: https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/tackling-new-coronavirus-in-the-netherlands/measures-announced

and here:

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2022/03/how-do-the-latest-changes-to-the-coronavirus-rules-affect-travellers/

if I understand correctly, this means fully vaccinated travelers from the US do not need a negative test to enter the Netherlands?!? 

I find the government website confusing at the moment as it still has sections that refer to a negative being necessary for travel from non-EU countries not on their safe list and the U.S. isn't on that list.

We're flying to Amsterdam next weekend for our pre-cruise stay so we'll wait and see what the website states on the 23rd.  Fingers crossed that you're right and a negative test will not be required!

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/mandatory-negative-test-results-and-declaration/mandatory-when-travelling-from-a-high-risk-country

I was about to post the same thing.  Different language on different pages as you follow the links down the rabbit hole.  Hopefully that just means they haven't updated the page with the test requirement, because the main page clearly states "The test requirement will be lifted."  [Luckily we're not flying until April 17, so plenty of time for the March 23 changes to be clarified.]

37 minutes ago, Imasima752 said:

I find the government website confusing at the moment as it still has sections that refer to a negative being necessary for travel from non-EU countries not on their safe list and the U.S. isn't on that list.

Agreed it is confusing. It seems like maybe it’s not updated or they’re keeping the old information there for now since it is currently in effect. 

1 hour ago, Imasima752 said:

The US is on the "not safe" list.  Well, it's not on the "safe" list, so the default is it's on the "not safe" one.  There did actually used to be a "not safe" list and the US was on it then.

I'm really of two minds about whether to test or not.  We  have a test appointment at the airport the morning of our flight to Amsterdam in a week, and we might still do it, even if the test requirement is removed.  We also plan on doing an at home test the day (or two) prior.

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm also planning to check with my airline (Delta).  Even if the Netherlands don't require it, Delta might.

United has it listed specifically as country requirements so I am curious if they change the language…time will tell!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm also planning to check with my airline (Delta).  Even if the Netherlands don't require it, Delta might.

Yeah, I'm checking the KLM website frequently.  It still says "negative test required to board".

50 minutes ago, Gopherpharm said:

United updated their website. It now says:

313CFCBC-605A-42E6-95D8-30ED8A3409B3.thumb.jpeg.d9e98ed668655a338d7bc23c9e4909ea.jpeg
so that makes it sound like there is no testing required for those from EU counties, and US citizens still must provide a negative test. 

Don't know where you got that last part about US citizens, since nothing you quoted applies to Vaccinated US citizens one way or the other.

On 2/28/2022 at 11:17 PM, Shmoo here said:

I was on the KLM site today (upcoming flight), and, from what I read, you have to wear a mask while onboard the plane.  And YOU HAVE TO CHANGE IT EVERY 3 HOURS.  That seems a bit excessive to me.

Not updated on the site, but looks like as of the 23rd, KLM may be dropping masks altogether. 

https://simpleflying.com/klm-transavia-latest-drop-mask-requirements/

Just now, Daisi said:

Not updated on the site, but looks like as of the 23rd, KLM may be dropping masks altogether. 

https://simpleflying.com/klm-transavia-latest-drop-mask-requirements/

Thank you.  I already had decided to mask up for that flight (back when the trip was scheduled for 2020) as I seem to get the guy who likes to cough up a lung sitting behind me, and then I get some sort of nasty respiratory bug that I have to deal with on a trip. 

So, I'll still be wearing a mask.

20 minutes ago, Gopherpharm said:

@Shmoo here I don’t think I’ll ever NOT wear a mask on a flight. I used to always get sick during/after traveling. 

I don't really have issues wearing a mask, but the fact that I'm going to be wearing one for somewhere in the 17+ hour range kinda bothers me.

Since masks are still required in airports, and we're arriving to the airport (for testing - maybe) 2 hours before our 3 hour prior to flight check in, and the flight is 11 hours, I'm not really happy about that.

But it is what it is.

@Shmoo here you’ll get breaks for snacks/drinks, and you can remove if you want while in the restroom on the plane (I just think about the particles of…stuff…in there and prefer to keep mine on). I find the KN95 and FFP2 masks which don’t touch your mouth are less annoying, especially if trying to sleep. 

Just now, Gopherpharm said:

@Shmoo here you’ll get breaks for snacks/drinks, and you can remove if you want while in the restroom on the plane (I just think about the particles of…stuff…in there and prefer to keep mine on). I find the KN95 and FFP2 masks which don’t touch your mouth are less annoying, especially if trying to sleep. 

We have KN95 masks, as well as a few N95 masks.  

I'm going to be quite a sight on the plane, with my mask, noise-cancelling headphones and eye mask, trying to sleep.  LOL😁

Well, the Netherlands website no longer states that a test is required.   And the KLM website also doesn't indicate you have to have a test to fly.  But they're recommending a test on arrival and after 5 days.

Effective 23 March 2022.

Now I don't know what to do - we have test appointments at the airport, but I'm not sure we should cancel them.  I mean, if we're positive, I'd rather find out BEFORE I head for Amsterdam and not after I get there.  I'd rather be quarantined at home than overseas.

Also KLM says for the flight to Amsterdam those 10 years & up must wear a mask in the airport and should on the flight.  

Flying from Amsterdam back to the US, we still have to test and masks must be worn in the airport and on the flight for those 2 and up.

I think I have finally found something official from the Netherlands that clearly says that vaccinated US travelers DO NOT need a test before traveling to the Netherlands.  But the way their website is set up, and the wording below ["arrive (back)"] still make me wonder if this really applies to US citizens traveling to the Netherlands for tourism.

1793722898_ScreenShot2022-03-23at1_54_15AM.thumb.png.801a3154f5485bd2a6272f30ac85a1af.png

https://reizentijdenscorona.rijksoverheid.nl/en/advies?bestemming=verenigde-staten-van-amerika

Similar situation here - United now says fully vaccinated but no test required. I think I’m going to keep our PCR test appointments but at least not fret if they don’t result before we depart. They should result by the time we land at AMS. 

But the US is still requiring a test to come home.  So I ordered a Binax 6-pack last night.  We've done this type of test from a hotel room in Europe before, and it beats finding a pharmacy in Paris.