Coronavirus Restrictions in Switzerland and Netherlands

Psoque

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But the US is still requiring a test to come home.  So I ordered a Binax 6-pack last night.  We've done this type of test from a hotel room in Europe before, and it beats finding a pharmacy in Paris.

Happily our river cruise company is facilitating any required testing (including returning to US).  We have to pay for it, but they'll set it up for us.

We have trips (non-river cruises) to countries that no longer require tests from vaxxed people upon entering:   Canada (June) and Scotland (September).  We are PRAYING fervently that the US also drops the test requirement for re-entry for vaccinated individuals by then.

If this doesn't happen, I guess we'll be going Jazz's way and ordering kits.

8 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Sharkster77 if it’s not a rude question where are you heading for in Scotland?

Not a rude question at all---we're all friends here!!

We're taking a CIE tour, 12 days, Glasgow, eventually ending up in Kirkwall for 2 nights, then working our way to Edinburgh.  With an extra day in both Glasgow and Edinburgh, we'll be there for 2 weeks.  Celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary this year!

Edited by sharkster77

Well really enjoy yourselves we are in Bonny Scotland for a week in September we share a small lodge up there. We’re going with our good friends again and driving we stay overnight on the way there and back. We’ve been going for well over 20 years and have still not tired of it. Beautiful scenery we’ve met some lovely people there’s a whisky distillery around every corner. We’ve even managed to cruise some of the canals and lochs, oh and the castles are superb I know the Australians say NABC but Scottish castles are just that bit different than European ones. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Arghhhhhh!

Just got an email from our river cruise company (Vantage).  While the Netherlands isn't requiring the negative test for entry, THEY are requiring "a negative test prior to boarding".  And they also say "You may take a COVID-19 PCR test ".  I'm hoping that "may" means that an antigen test is sufficient, as we already have an appointment at the airport for an antigen test.

I sent an email asking for clarification.  If I don't hear from them within a couple of hours, I'm going to call them.  If we need the PCR test, I'll have to try to find someplace to do it TODAY, as we fly out tomorrow.

Question for those who have ordered the BinaxNOW kits with online guidance, etc (COVID test that US will accept for re-admittance),  how much in advance should I order our kits?  Trying to strike a balance between having them on hand in plenty of time AND not having them expire too soon.  Not sure how long it will take to receive them.

I've seen them on the emed.com site but only in 6-test packs.  optum.com sells 2, 4, and 6-test packs.

Thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@Shmoo here, they could have provided more warning...hopefully everything works out, and you are able to get everything scheduled on time as I'm looking forward to your review of your cruise.  

Well, it didn't "work out".

The cruise line is says "must be PCR".  And their response to the short time line was "the email was sent this morning".  

So, we've cancelled our antigen test for the morning, and are now taking an extra trip to the airport to get the PCR today.🤬

2 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Question for those who have ordered the BinaxNOW kits with online guidance, etc (COVID test that US will accept for re-admittance),  how much in advance should I order our kits?  Trying to strike a balance between having them on hand in plenty of time AND not having them expire too soon.  Not sure how long it will take to receive them.

I've seen them on the emed.com site but only in 6-test packs.  optum.com sells 2, 4, and 6-test packs.

Thanks in advance.

I ordered a 6-pack on Wednesday and it was delivered the next day (yesterday).  

I wasn't sure how the testing procedure works, but just found this helpful thread:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

@Shmoo here, do you by chance have Kaiser health insurance? They have no-charge drive through test sites with PCR results back in 12-28 hours (in our experience). 

That 12-28 hour range wouldn't work for us.  Our plane leaves in 24 hours from now.  

We're just back from the airport testing facility.  Results in 3-5 hours.  

I'm really not happy with this turn of events.

Edited by Shmoo here

4 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Thanks in advance.

I got them from Delta. 

They came in a few days. I ordered them in January and they say that they're good until November. I have 2 of them in my backpack now, to use when we come home from France in 2 weeks.  We'll see how/if they work.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

That 12-28 hour range wouldn't work for us.  Our plane leaves in 24 hours from now.  

We're just back from the airport testing facility.  Results in 3-5 hours.  

I'm really not happy with this turn of events.

I'm sorry. 

I'm glad you were able to get the tests done, however. Best wishes for a lovely trip. 

5 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Thanks in advance.

I bought from Optum mid February and my tests are good through the end of December. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

YAY!!!!!!!🤸‍♀️🤸‍♂️

We're both NEGATIVE!!!!

Now, on to more mundane things - like packing......

Have a fantastic trip! Sorry you had to deal with the last-minute change. Hope it's smooth sailing from here on out.

8 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Thanks in advance.

I used the BinaxNow kits last December for my trip back to the USA and it was a very easy process. As long as you have a good phone and camera (worked on our Samsung S21 phone but not my Google Pixel 4 phone), you can scan the barcode to get started with the test and someone came online within minutes to walk me through the testing process. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Thanks for all the replies RE:  the BinaxNow kits.  Also encouraged by the comment that the test monitor came online within minutes.  I was fearing sitting there "on hold" forever, waiting for our turn to come up.

Word to the wise: make sure you follow directions to the letter. 

(I love my husband. I love my husband. I love my husband.)

I suggested that my husband watch one of the YouTube videos before taking his test. (I love my husband) He did not watch the video. He also wasted a very expensive test when he misunderstood what the test proctor said and pulled something off, invalidating the test. (I love my husband) Thankfully, we had extras with us, and were able to come home from Tahiti (then again, maybe being stuck there would have been nice).

Did I mention that I love my husband?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3