Spirit of Adventure 10 Oct- Live Report

MonsieurD

2 hours ago, MonsieurD said:

The food is nice, and the tastes very subtle. Anyone expecting it to be like their local Balti will be surprised .

Many thanks, Monsieur D, for your excellent and informative reports.

It sounds as though the food in the Nepalese restaurant has been "anglicised" a bit, which is a pity as I love Nepalese cuisine. Perhaps Saga feels that its clientele would prefer blander food these days. We loved eating in the East to West on the Saga Sapphire which we thought was outstandingly good, and we booked it as often as we could. We were looking forward to eating in the Discovery's East to West when we sailed in October 2019, but were quite disappointed by the toned down version we got. We ended up preferring to dine in the GDR rather than in one of the speciality restaurants.

Overall, how did the food compare with other cruise lines you've been on?

I  wouldn't automatically take it that the food didn't taste like the local balti to mean it has been anglicised , I think / hope Monsieur D meant it was more authentic.  I've  found food in India, to be far more subtle than that in the vast majority of English Indian restaurants.  

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

I  wouldn't automatically take it that the food didn't taste like the local balti to mean it has been anglicised , I think / hope Monsieur D meant it was more authentic.  I've  found food in India, to be far more subtle than that in the vast majority of English Indian restaurants.  

I take your point about Indian food - many years ago I spent two months wandering around north India and thoroughly agree with you. As far as the East to West is concerned, my wife mentioned her disappointment on the Discovery and was told that the chefs were the same ones who had been on the Sapphire, and that if she wanted the dishes to be the same as before, she should ask the waiter and the chefs would prepare them accordingly. So the food did seem to have been made less "challenging", shall we say. 

Unfortunately we won't be on the Adventure until next October, but I'm really looking forward to trying the Nepalese restaurant.

8 hours ago, Kenmure said:

Regarding the buffet in the evenIngs our last 2 cruises on the Spirit of Discovery in Autumn 2019 and January 2020 both had an excellent buffet in the Grill in the evenIngs.

I agree. On our 10 night France and Spain October 2019 cruise on SoD, there was most definitely a buffet in The Grill every evening, even on formal nights.

I stand corrected regarding the availability of buffets in The Grill in the evenings on previous Saga cruises!

I have sailed on  the obvious mainstream UK based lines ( except for Fred). The SoA food is based on good ingredients, with a very wide choice of dishes in both venues. Without wishing to start a debate on the various food offerings of other lines, I rated the range and quality of SoA’s food to be excellent and much better than some of her direct competitors for the UK market. Sure, SoA’s offerings probably would not suit all our pals from across the pond, but since the clientele on Saga is mainly from the UK, I consider that the food offerings are almost right. I have cruised with nearly all of the so- called luxury lines. Their fare is more US style, and although their presentation of the plated dishes can be more sophisticated, SoA was not too far behind the more expensive cruise lines.
On SoA meal times were made more pleasant by the servers being  very willing and cheerful, despite them having to wear masks all the time.
We had spent some not inconsiderable time preparing Passenger Locator Forms the day before the cruise ended. It was quite a challenge for some, despite assistance from the staff. In the event, the PLF’s were not checked on leaving the ship.
We disembarked this morning, and it went like clockwork. Leaving the holding lounge at the planned time, we were in the Saga car with our baggage in less than 15 minutes, despite an escalator on the dock being out of action. This was the smoothest disembarkation that I have experienced.

D.

• Like 3

We had to do both a lateral flow and a saliva pcr test while in the car before boarding. This morning we had to do another pcr saliva test whilst in the cabin to be collected by the steward between 7 and 7.30 am. It was a lengthy process to generate the amount of saliva required! Saga deals with all the cost and admin required. After that it was breakfast and a very efficient disembarkation to the waiting cars. 
The cruise was blessed with mostly calm seas and fair weather, lovely food and a fantastic crew. 

Thank you for your reviews,  all in all very reassuring.  My take 

The ship , is very nice and so are the cabins, they live up to the promise. 

The crew are very friendly a nice atmosphere on board. 

Saga seem to have every thing well organised,  especially given circumstances. 

The food is very good , up with the premium lines. The speciality restaurants are very good and a nice change. 

The wine is OK when you find something you like, could be better. 

Looking forward to my first Saga cruise

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2021 at 4:16 PM, Glad Bailey said:

The Covid test required within 48 hours of return.Was this done on board by Saga before embarkation .

An update on covid tests. Saga complete all of them,including the now needed PCR test on return.

Link to Saga FAQ  below. The PCR test is done on board on the morning you arrive back, before disembarkation.

Scroll down to "return to the UK and disembarkation".

https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/cruise-return-to-service.aspx#app-Tabs-activeTab|ReturningtotheUKanddisembarkation||

Quite impressive of Saga, all done for you at no extra cost.

Thank you.  We hope to be on board Spirit of Adventure on the Classic Canaries cruise on 5th January.

Just wondering if we need to download the NHS App and Covid Travel Pass as well as carrying the NHS COVID letter?  I hope Saga will clarify for us, as we only have one smartphone between us at present!

3 hours ago, LandC said:

Thank you.  We hope to be on board Spirit of Adventure on the Classic Canaries cruise on 5th January.

Just wondering if we need to download the NHS App and Covid Travel Pass as well as carrying the NHS COVID letter?  I hope Saga will clarify for us, as we only have one smartphone between us at present!

Download the app, screenshot covid details. Download letter and print off. Belt and braces, if wifi playing up you have the screen shot and the letter.

Anyone got the NHS letter showing the booster jab as well as the first two vaccinations?  The NHS website said the booster jab would be included in the letter but mine (and three other family members I applied for) did not.  At least the NHS App does show the booster record so I've saved that as a file on my phone and printed it out.  

• Like 1