Is the Seaview Transatlantic Mid-November 2021 Cancelled?

hamrag

I think I know what's coming, just been on the MSC web and the cruise is showing either error or a strange fully booked message. It differs depending on embarking port, but the message is clear and similar to the Seashore transatlantic that was shot. It was still showing as normal late last night, so this has def changed today!  😒

16 minutes ago, racephoto said:

It’s unfortunate but Martinique and Guadeloupe are now closed to ships till the end of the year. And I think some other islands are iffy too. It looked like a great itinerary.  While MSC has not been great about communicating changes to people, in this case the extension of the closure for those two islands just happened and it sounds like it was a little unexpected.
https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ship-operations/oct-15-update-aidas-big-caribbean-play-guadeloupemartinique-delay-emerald-princess

Above from racephoto confirms, without a shadow of a doubt, this cruise is now belly up in the water....no pun!

Not quite the same thing but I've just had a shortie on Orchestra from Southampton to Hamburg cancelled next April and I believe that was the last part of a repo from S. America...maybe all repo's will be without passengers...

On 10/20/2021 at 10:57 PM, hamrag said:

Hopefully the cruise goes ahead, albeit terminating on a different island than Martinique or Guadeloupe. I had an interesting exchange with my TA today via email but not sure how I view the response, it's hard to believe.....following is the exchange:

Me

Dear (name of TA)

I am reading on social media that our imminent cruise on MSC Seaview from Barcelona to Martinique in the Caribbean on 17th November is cancelled, due to a recent decision that both Martinique and Guadeloupe will not accept cruise ships before mid-January 2022.
Can you advise urgently please, as we have our holidays scheduled across those dates. and wish to consider other cruise options to book with you.
Many thanks.

TA

Dear Mr xxxx

Thank you for your e-mail. My manager contacted MSC directly this afternoon, and was informed they have not cancelled this sailing. They are still working with local authorities in the Caribbean but are confident this sailing will go ahead. If guests are concerned or worried they can cruise move to another sailing now. they will be covered under our stress free policy and can cruise move up to 14 days before departure

Could you please let me know if you wish to quote a change of sailing date?

Kind regards.

On 10/21/2021 at 10:05 PM, monsterl said:

A report from this morning with an tv-interview with the local tourism chief from the evening of 10/19/2021: https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/guadeloupe/2021-2022-une-saison-blanche-pour-la-croisiere-en-guadeloupe-1134013.html

With the same statement: no cruises until mid-January. 

12 hours ago, hamrag said:

The cruise remains bookable in the UK. I've been evaluating the claim from MSC to my TA a couple of days ago that 'My manager contacted MSC directly this afternoon, and was informed they have not cancelled this sailing. They are still working with local authorities in the Caribbean but are confident this sailing will go ahead.'

What we know is the ban on cruiseships in Martinique and Guadeloupe has been extended from 15 November inasmuch as 'Cruise calls at Guadeloupe and Martinique will be delayed until at least Jan. 15'  as reported by Seatrade Cruise News and local reports. We also know our cruise in it's varying forms from Genoa/Marseille/Barcelona appears to have only a few unsold cabins remaining.

Some of you will also be aware that once every two weeks the Caribbean cruises have embarking/disembarking passengers during a full day stop in Barbados predominantly for the British market. We did that precise cruise in February 2019 and there were upwards of 500 passengers turning over in Barbados. Our repositioning cruise is scheduled to land in Martinique on 4 December, exactly 6 weeks before 15 January resumption (albeit not guaranteed).

Finally, to the point I wish to make given the context outlined above. The ship could sail out to the Caribbean as planned. Would the French island authorities, with Paris approval, allow the ship to dock in Martinique 4 December to disembark passengers who were scheduled to end there and also the Guadeloupe passengers scheduled to end on 5 December....I'm not suggesting they then swim to Guadeloupe, but the distance between both islands is only 120 miles. Bear in mind the vast majority would be heading straight to the airport, having been tested onboard a couple of days earlier rather than 'percolating' throughout those islands.

Then proceed to Barbados to offload scheduled passengers there and, crucially, embark 500 or so Brits and repeat that process fortnightly for 3 sailings. They may even get some of the Martinique/Guadeloupe boarders to change their joining point to Barbados and have, just for the sake of a number, say 1000 passengers sailing for the 6 weeks until hopefully they can resume (as originally intended from 4 December) on 15 January from Martinique and run the remainder of their winter schedule as planned.

From a position two days ago believing our cruise had a 90% likelihood of cancellation, based on the above, I think there could now be a reasonable chance it goes ahead. If you think about it, all MSC would have to bear in lost revenue terms is another six weeks of operating the ship with the passenger numbers sailing when they started resuming a few short months ago. Also, they could much more aggressively market the Barbados cruise in the UK and USA at discounted prices, and charter a few aircraft to/from Barbados!

Thoughts anyone, and I know....famous last words etc....

10 hours ago, vtgumby said:

You have made some salient points Hamrag, I went to bed depressed and I awake with confidence after reading your words.... 
....I like your plan and I’m hoping MSC is consulting with you!
I want to meet you on the ship and shake your hand if this all comes through, you’re the person who gave me hope…for now! 😉

6 hours ago, monsterl said:

MSC is currently talking with St. Maarten - certainly as a replacement for Martinique and Guadeloupe. It will be expensive (for the customers) to rebook all the flights ...

3 hours ago, monsterl said:

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

Thank you, my confidence is on an upward trajectory now!

Interesting posting sequence above, for anyone affected or interested!

We await further information from MSC, but I am much less pessimistic than when I started the thread....time will tell. 🤞🤞

G ... MSC are looking at home porting Seaview out of St Maarten in December according to a story in a US paper after Rick Sasso their North American head man met with Island officials. Not sure if that would help your case or that of others who may be booked on the ship. Flights though might be another thing though Air France and the Dutch airlines fly in there.

Edited by sidari

6 minutes ago, sidari said:

G ... MSC are looking at home porting Seaview out of St Maarten in December according to a story in a US paper after Rick Sasso their North American head man met with Island officials. Not sure if that would help your case or that of others who may be booked on the ship. Flights though might be another thing though Air France and the Dutch airlines fly in there.

Yes, that is part of the posting trail I quoted above. 

I discovered 5 minutes ago that excursions are now showing for the first time, through Tenerife, on the UK website in our 'Manage my Booking' section for our sailing commencing Barcelona!

The only flight we have booked is Ryanair to Barcelona, because it's the only direct flight from Scotland....scheduled to fly at 6.30am! Because we will be on the ship for 24 nights, we are booked on the first 7 night Caribbean leg following, we haven't yet booked return flights but can book them onboard if and when we sail. There's no financial risk for us if it is ultimately pulled. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hamrag said:

Yes, that is part of the posting trail I quoted above. 

I discovered 5 minutes ago that excursions are now showing for the first time, through Tenerife, on the UK website in our 'Manage my Booking' section for our sailing commencing Barcelona!

I wondered when I read that info yesterday. Things do look up for your cruise. As you were concerned about my experience/canceled cruise, I will mention that I went back to NCL (we are Plat there) and booked Getaway TA from Rome 05Dec. I had to reduce our experience as MSC still has all of our money (except the laundry purchase was refunded). We were easily able to move our AA ressies to BA flights. DH has perked up and is trying to increase his stamina for the travels. Even if it gets canceled, that's an overall positive. 

Edited by Rhea98
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rhea98 said:

I wondered when I read that info yesterday. Things do look up for your cruise. As you were concerned about my experience/canceled cruise, I will mention that I went back to NCL (we are Plat there) and booked Getaway TA from Rome 05Dec. I had to reduce our experience as MSC still has all of our money (except the laundry purchase was refunded). We were easily able to move our AA ressies to BA flights. DH has perked up and is trying to increase his stamina for the travels. Even if it gets canceled, that's an overall positive. 

Good news all round, delighted for you and hope this one works out. We too are platinum NCL, and it looks a good cruise.....just too close to Christmas for us, flying home jet-lagged and trying to scramble something for Christmas day.

Enjoy.

• Like 1