Hawaiian Sojourn shore excursions

kjbacon

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

I have been to Iceland many times. The thing that constantly amazes me are the geological features. Don’t miss Thingvellir National Park, where the two tectonic plates come together (also the “home” of the oldest parliament).  Years ago you could stand with one foot on the North American plate, the other foot on the European. You can visit this area on many tours from Reykjavik called “The Golden Circle”, but you might get more out of a private guide if really interested.  Iceland is one of my favorite places in the world!  Enjoy!  Oh, and be sure to try skyr (Icelandic style yogurt).

Yes, and if you like licorice, try their licorice skyr! Surprisingly good. 

We had a too-brief stay in Iceland. A magical place. 

4 hours ago, janetcbl said:

I have been to Iceland many times. The thing that constantly amazes me are the geological features. Don’t miss Thingvellir National Park, where the two tectonic plates come together (also the “home” of the oldest parliament).  Years ago you could stand with one foot on the North American plate, the other foot on the European. You can visit this area on many tours from Reykjavik called “The Golden Circle”, but you might get more out of a private guide if really interested.  Iceland is one of my favorite places in the world!  Enjoy!  Oh, and be sure to try skyr (Icelandic style yogurt).

Thank you for this, it is exactly the way I hope to feel about Iceland … I must ask … if you could stand with one foot on each plate years ago, why can’t you now? 

I love tasting native dishes and I live yogurt so I will put skyr at the top of my list! 

3 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Yes, and if you like licorice, try their licorice skyr! Surprisingly good. 

We had a too-brief stay in Iceland. A magical place. 

Yes, I’m one of “those” that truly enjoy black licorice. Can’t say it sounds like it goes with yogurt but I’m definitely in for that taste test! 

27 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

Thank you for this, it is exactly the way I hope to feel about Iceland … I must ask … if you could stand with one foot on each plate years ago, why can’t you now? 

I love tasting native dishes and I live yogurt so I will put skyr at the top of my list! 

Over  time the plates have been slowly moving further apart! The first time I was there (1980’ s) you could step over the crack; 20 years later there was a metal bridge (about 3’, if I recall) to walk over the widening crack;  in  2020  I could no longer recognize where that crack had been! -  it was a jumbled mess. It has been an amazing realization how much this earth of ours is capable of change! Thanks for asking!

Edited by janetcbl
Typo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the update is there’s still no update on the shore excursions. When I check our roll call, I see that another poster (who seems very helpful and knowledgeable) feels we need to check MVJ frequently because the excursions could post without much warning and sell out rather quickly. This is so disappointing, especially for a long cruise with so few ports.

• Like 1