Covid Testing

korr2

My husband, son and I are booked on the Carnival Breeze cruise in June 2022 out of Galveston, TX. We are driving down to Galveston from Nebraska the day before our departure date. Does Carnival only accept test results from the home test kits ordered through emed or optima websites and Quest Labs select testing sites or will Carnival accept test results from one of our local health clinics?

• Like 1

As long as it has the information required on it it doesn't matter where you get it from.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols

The emed tests were introduced as an option after many cruisers were struggling to make antigen test appointments as they were being cancelled or just not available.

I'm just off the Miracle yesterday.  I had results from both Abbot BinaxNow Home Test and a Covid Testing Clinic drive thru.  I ended up with both because I had booked the drive thru one as a backup just in case and it was too close to appt time to cancel.  Carnival was good with either since it had the required information as @K_e_short mentioned.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mredandchis said:

you have to get them within the 48 hrs

You mean you have to test within 48 hours, not obtain the test within 48 hours correct?

I am about to order the tests now for our cruise in a few weeks but I will test the Friday before our Sunday departure.

Who knows what the requirements will be then.  They will change somewhat when vaccines are approved for kids 5 and up.  Plus the kits expire and availability will change.  Not cruising until June I wouldn't waste time thinking about it now and revisit it around Feb-March and see the requirements then. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

You mean you have to test within 48 hours, not obtain the test within 48 hours correct?

I am about to order the tests now for our cruise in a few weeks but I will test the Friday before our Sunday departure.

Correct.   The testing scares me as everything is a big unknown.

On 10/23/2021 at 7:03 PM, mredandchis said:

you have to get them within the 48 hrs before the day of the cruise

Will everybody STOP saying 48 Hours - It is 2 DAYS

If the ship embarks on Saturday (any Time) the test has to be ANYTIME on THURSDAY ie 12:01 AM is perfect. People get all stressed  over meeting a 48 hour timeline - it is two days.

Here is the Carnival Links:

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_100221

The CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

You have to have taken the test within two days.

You have to have the test results in hand (Paper or electronically) at embarkation.

Your Friday test for a Sunday embarkation is within the acceptable timeframe permitted.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

Hopefully by next June when OP is scheduled to cruise, testing will no longer be a requirement.  Maybe that’s just wishful thinking, but it’s a possibility.

As long as there are no more curve balls from new variants, these testing requirements will all be gone by then.  We are almost at herd immunity.

Good luck!

• Like 2

So it sounds like it is actually 2 days if you are vaccinated? Carnival says "The CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date." But CDC says 

• People who decide to go on a cruise should get tested 1–3 days before their trip and 3–5 days after their trip, regardless of vaccination status.

Carnival also states 72 hours but that appears to be if you are not vaccinated. Not sure why they would cut the window shorter if you're vaccinated. Taking a Monday cruise makes a 2 day window a bit more challenging.

6 hours ago, Wheels87 said:

As long as there are no more curve balls from new variants, these testing requirements will all be gone by then.  We are almost at herd immunity.

Good luck!

Um... herd immunity?

What country are you living in?

80% is what we would need to get there.

Plus with variants herd immunity isn't the solution.

I could post a bunch of actual research documents but that probably won't be helpful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Um... herd immunity?

What country are you living in?

80% is what we would need to get there.

Plus with variants herd immunity isn't the solution.

I could post a bunch of actual research documents but that probably won't be helpful.

OK, so I used a term which most folks are at least vaguely familiar with.  I made the post in haste at 0500 when I was headed in to work dealing with...COVID-19.  I am not in need of any explanation from you or your articles.  You clearly imply that I am incapable of understanding your "Actual research documents" and I really don't appreciate the tone.

That being said, I have decades of expertise in dealing with disease, laboratory testing, research, etc.  I was trying to keep things simple, but apparently, I need to justify my oversimplification, so, for the sake of everyone on this forum...here it goes.

You are technically correct.  Using the term "Herd immunity" was an extreme oversimplification.  The virus which causes the symptom complex known as Covid-19, Sars-CoV-2, is a coronavirus of which there are many variants.  It is one of the many different types of viruses which cause the common cold, among other things.  Yes, the world has spent many billions of dollars to create vaccines which will TEMPORARILY, slow the spread of the disease and decrease the overall deaths from it.  however, these viruses mutate at a frequency such that it is likely that other variants emerge.  Of course, natural immunity is ultimately the only way to reach herd immunity and you are correct, we are no where near 80% of the population having the disease.  However, even with some mutations, the vaccine is still showing effectiveness at preventing death from the alpha and delta variants.  Be careful not to over interpret studies from places like Israel which show that the majority of hospitalized patients have been vaccinated...the fact is that the overwhelming majority of the population there has been vaccinated, therefore, there are few un-vaccinated people left there to be admitted to the hospital.

So, given that the Sars-CoV-2 virus is ubiquitous throughout the world, as long as people are being born, there will always be people who are susceptible to the virus.  Will we be able to ever reach herd immunity?  Has there ever been herd immunity with Influenza virus?  The answer to both questions is "no."

The point I was trying to make was that by that time, there number of cases would be low enough that all of the oppressive rules will be lifted and we would return to life as we used to know it, pre-Covid-19.

I could go into a lot more detail, but I think I've said enough.

Good day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Presenting a negative PCR COVID-19 test at check-in, taken between 72 and 24 hours prior to the sailing date (for example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday, but not on the morning of embarkation). Unvaccinated guests must take an additional antigen test at embarkation, and test again within 24 hours of debarkation on all cruises longer than 4 days. A US$150 per person charge will be assessed to the guest’s onboard Sail and Sign account to cover the cost of testing, reporting and health and safety screenings. Children under two are exempt from testing requirements.