Lateral cruises and testing

We are looking into booking back to back cruises on the same cruise line, same day to change ships, same port, but different ships; the Oasis and the Jewel.

Does anyone have recent experience as to what procedures are as to testing between cruises when we are changing ships, but not cruise lines?

I have called RCI twice, once a month or so ago when we were considering two different cruises and once two days ago.  The first time the guy did a little search and came back with a pretty positive answer that we would be tested with other back-to-backers (and Canandians, I think?) and then allowed to go to the next ship to board, after a wait in a holding room.

Two days ago the agent seemed completely taken aback at the question and put me on hold for quite some time while she researched.  She kind of said the same thing; we would have to arrange for a test before porting, paid for by RCI, but she seemed quite uncertain yet and didn't seem to know what happened next, how we would get to the next ship, or other protocols.  I'm assuming we would just walk?  Or ???

Any help is appreciated!

You will be tested on the last full day of your first cruise. It will be the same as back to back passenger and there will be no charge.   Back to back passengers have a letter in their room to schedule the test. Under your circumstances, you may need to check with guest services. Your test results will be emailed. 

On debarkation morning, you simply leave the ship as any other passenger would.   

You will show your negative results on your next cruise.  

Prior to Covid, we  had to leave one ship and board another on the same day from the same port.  It was not walkable. We were on our own to find transportation.    It wouldn’t hurt to ask at guest services if they can assist in transportation. 

enjoy. 

m

Thank you.  This is what we are hoping/expecting.  It's ok if it's not walkable, we'll manage that.  Just don't want to be denied boarding on the second ship or charged a huge amount to take a test at the end of the first cruise.

Isn't cruise or vacation planning fun these days?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Isn't cruise or vacation planning fun these days?

We’ve just booked a cruise with MSC sailing on 28th December. They require a PCR test within 72 hours of departure at our own expense. Given that the 3 days prior to the 28th are Bank Holidays in the UK and even if I could locate somewhere to have the tests done, the labs processing the results are unlikely to be working. I have no clue how we are supposed to fulfil this requirement. As you say, isn’t planning fun these days! 🤦‍♀️

As an update we just booked a 12 night cruise with a different cruise line.

After receiving 3 different answers from three different RCI reps, it just didn't seem worth the hassle.  The last guy called us to see if we were ready to book, etc. and he said we would have to arrange for a test before the end of the first cruise and pay for it ourself.  And he didn't seem to know the procedure to get off of one ship and get to the next.

So by booking the Celebrity 12 day, only one day less than the back to back, we eliminate that hassle, plus it is supposed to be a vaccinated only cruise.  Plus no packing up and moving ships.  More expensive, but....much easier, I hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

As an update we just booked a 12 night cruise with a different cruise line.

After receiving 3 different answers from three different RCI reps, it just didn't seem worth the hassle.  The last guy called us to see if we were ready to book, etc. and he said we would have to arrange for a test before the end of the first cruise and pay for it ourself.  And he didn't seem to know the procedure to get off of one ship and get to the next.

So by booking the Celebrity 12 day, only one day less than the back to back, we eliminate that hassle, plus it is supposed to be a vaccinated only cruise.  Plus no packing up and moving ships.  More expensive, but....much easier, I hope.

Changing your cruise to the 12 day is a good move. The transfer day is really a wasted a day.

The reason the agent didn’t know the procedure to get off one ship and go to the next, is there is none. You are finished with your first cruise, you get off the ship you generally find your own transportation to the next trip. (In our experiences, we have had to find our own transportation to another terminal at the pier ) There is nothing for them to arrange, there was nothing to link, there is no procedure. 

And remember, the agent may have never been anywhere near a cruise pier. 

m

We are on the Oasis Nov 3-7, then board Allure on November 8. I emailed the Oasis Suite Concierge about getting a Covid test onboard and was pleased with her response. 

Good Day Dear Sandra:

Hope this email finds you well,

Apologies for the delay on the reply on your e mail, as we are currently working in this cruise and also finishing the last one.

Yes, we can do the PRE COVID test on board, no charge, it will be done the day before departure, please  pass by Suite Lounge on Day 1, and we will give you a QR code to made the appointment on board.

Thank you.