Dress Aboard Scenic River Cruises

toolworker

Do I have to pack a jacket and tie for a Scenic Douro cruise?

I was relying on the Scenic website, which says "The dress code across all Scenic cruise and tour itineraries is casual and comfortable. Dinner attire is smart casual — open-neck shirts, trousers and dresses; you may wear a jacket or blazer with a tie, but it is not required." 

But the cruise packet from Scenic says ""For the evening meal we have a recommendation of a jacket or tie for the gentlemen and smart casual evening attire for the ladies. However, as the welcome and farewell evenings, Portobello's, L' Amor, Table la Rive and Table D'or dining are more formal occasions you may wish to dress accordingly."

Will I be uncomfortable if I don't bring a jacket and tie?

Just please don’t wear shorts to dinner personally when your asked politely not to and you do it’s particularly rude.  I’ll warn you the air con in the dinning room is excellent so ladies something for your shoulders I would recommend. My husband does like his jackets but does not like cardigans or jumpers although he now says he’s of an age when carting round a jacket is a phaph so it depends upon the time of year. Ladies  no need to pack anything really extra a bit of bling or a beautiful scarf or wrap is all that’s needed to add that little bit of jenasaqua. Just enjoy it seems to me that river cruising is just a tad more laid back than some ocean cruising!

• Like 3

Thanks so much both for your help! If it's plausible to even think about someone wearing shorts to dinner, it should be casual enough for me.  🙂 Don't worry - we won't pack shorts or short sleeves for Portugal in November. 

Another question - our information packet said "Laundry Concierge will include washing and pressing services, and is limited to 1 kg of laundry per suite, once per cruise." That's two polo shirts and a pair of slacks - per suite. The phone agent wouldn't back off the 1 kg. She said we could pack as much as we could fit into the bag but it's a small bag.

So is it a normal laundry bag? 

Edited by toolworker

@toolworker I did bring a jacket when we sailed with Scenic from Budapest to Amsterdam but others did not. These days I usually skip the jacket and bring some nice shirts and a few bow ties instead for a festive touch.

As far as shorts are concerned, they were fine at lunch time but never for dinner.

Enjoy your trip. Scenic is wonderful!

Paul

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 10/27/2021 at 1:29 AM, Canal archive said:

Tool worker if your on the Diamond deck you get two items pressed each day. Plus I’m pretty sure I got far more than  kg into the bag. The laundry on board is excellent.

It is interesting to read this as there is conflicting information, and we have found it hard to get clarification! Our first river cruise will be the Christmas on the Danube this year and I am a notorious ‘over packer’. Being new to river cruising and our first Europe trip, we want to be prepared.If we are indeed able to have 2 items per cabin each day that is excellent new!