dining on the Ventura 2021

bufton

we are booked to cruise on the Ventura in November 2021 previously we enjoyed the club dining second sitting at 8.30 pm, has anyone been on the Ventura recently to identify if this is still the case with dining on the ship or if they have changed the system and if so what is it now.  We recently went on the Queen Elizabeth and the dining was freedom dining in all restaurants from 6.30 pm just turn up which meant a different table every night.  Secondly has anyone had trouble getting into the theatre entertainment if not booked online  before boarding the ship. Thank you for any info  

Just off Ventura yesterday. Club dining is back. Bay Tree Restaurant 1st sitting at 6.30pm, 2nd at 8.30pm. 

As for theatre entertainment. There was no problem getting into the first show at 6.45pm without a booking as it was never busy. Cannot comment on the later shows but you can use the ship’s booking facility via the MyHoliday planner once on board. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by MrsTW
  • Thanks 1

I am also on Ventura this month. My last cruise with P&O was 12 years ago and then we had freedom dining so fixed dining times are new to me.

I hope I get allocated the 1st 6.30pm sitting, if I  get allocated the 2nd 8.30pm can I request a change ?

When and how do I find out what sitting I have been allocated. 

11 minutes ago, MrsTW said:

2 restaurants still offer Freedom dining. The 3rd fixed dining. There will be a card in your cabin telling you which dining you have been given. They say you cannot change but always worth asking. 

We were allocated Club Dining on our last Oriana cruise.  Booked on Early Saver, but we asked to move to Freedom which they did.  Did take two days to do, but it was a 16 nighter and a Christmas & New Year cruise, so they had to juggle Christmas Dinner & New Years Eve as well.  Always worth asking.

Thank you both for your replies. 

So I am guessing that I will not be able to pre book any evening shows before I know which dinner sitting I have been allocated.

I assume I am not compelled to turn up at the restaurant at the allocated time (I won't be put on the naughty step) but could visit the buffet instead.

Sorry , as I mentioned, I have not had fixed dinning times before. (oh , yes I have on Holland America, but that was even further back 2007).

Edited by GOQ

3 hours ago, GOQ said:

Thank you both for your replies. 

So I am guessing that I will not be able to pre book any evening shows before I know which dinner sitting I have been allocated.

I assume I am not compelled to turn up at the restaurant at the allocated time (I won't be put on the naughty step) but could visit the buffet instead.

Sorry , as I mentioned, I have not had fixed dinning times before. (oh , yes I have on Holland America, but that was even further back 2007).

I would book the shows for the time you prefer. If dining clashes then they can be rebooked either by the MyHoliday planner or at one of the help desks. 

Yes you can eat in the buffet if you wish or one of the speciality restaurants. The Beach House is super. A £7.50 cover charge which covers most items on the menu. A little extra is added for a few items. 

2 hours ago, bbtablet said:

When you booked your cruise you should have been asked what sitting you preferred - if not then I suggest you ask the question of your TA (or P&O direct).

Only if a Select booking. Also these early cruises have started with Freedom Dining only. Ventura just began the set dining times on her last cruise after 2 cruises with Freedom only. Things are not quite as they were yet and changes can happen at any time. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bbtablet said:

When you booked your cruise you should have been asked what sitting you preferred - if not then I suggest you ask the question of your TA (or P&O direct).

My Ventura cruise is a Saver booking so as MrsTW says I don't have the choice of Freedom dining. However my Arcadia cruise next year is a Select booking , so thanks for the tip and I will check my booking to see if Freedom dining has been selected.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:50 AM, MrsTW said:

Just off Ventura yesterday. Club dining is back. Bay Tree Restaurant 1st sitting at 6.30pm, 2nd at 8.30pm. 

As for theatre entertainment. There was no problem getting into the first show at 6.45pm without a booking as it was never busy. Cannot comment on the later shows but you can use the ship’s booking facility via the MyHoliday planner once on board. 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you that's good news as we like a set time and table travelling with friends for hubby's 60th glad to hear its re introduced 😀

14 hours ago, bbtablet said:

Hi thank you we were asked just when we booked with T a for our cunard cruise in September were asked only to find on ship it was all freedom dining which was a little chaotic.  This is good news we have the choice again.  I did try getting hold of p o however no one answers the phone I gave up after 4 hours trying. Once again thank you for the info .

On 11/1/2021 at 10:16 AM, GOQ said:

I am also on Ventura this month. My last cruise with P&O was 12 years ago and then we had freedom dining so fixed dining times are new to me.

I hope I get allocated the 1st 6.30pm sitting, if I  get allocated the 2nd 8.30pm can I request a change ?

When and how do I find out what sitting I have been allocated. 

I think dining depends on which tariff you booked whether Select or Early Saver. Select gives you the chance to choose your Cabin and Dining time with other things such as coach transfer at various ports if required, choice of Onboard Spend, Coach to and from Southampton or Parking at Southampton. So therefore if you booked Select Price you have a choice of Dining times or Freedom Dining. With Early Saver you don't have a choice it is allocated and as someone else said you will have information of this in your Cabin when you arrive. Having said that, if it isn't when you want to Dine have a word with the Maitr'e D. (Head Waiter )

4 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I think dining depends on which tariff you booked whether Select or Early Saver. Select gives you the chance to choose your Cabin and Dining time with other things such as coach transfer at various ports if required, choice of Onboard Spend, Coach to and from Southampton or Parking at Southampton. So therefore if you booked Select Price you have a choice of Dining times or Freedom Dining. With Early Saver you don't have a choice it is allocated and as someone else said you will have information of this in your Cabin when you arrive. Having said that, if it isn't when you want to Dine have a word with the Maitr'e D. (Head Waiter )

It will be interesting to see if they make any changes to the fare structures as once Arvia is in service, there will be two ships that only have Freedom or alternative dining options (i.e. no Club/Fixed Dining)...

15 minutes ago, Britboys said:

It will be interesting to see if they make any changes to the fare structures as once Arvia is in service, there will be two ships that only have Freedom or alternative dining options (i.e. no Club/Fixed Dining)...

15 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Which is the other ship along with Arvia has only Freedom Dining as I have booked a cruise on Iona for 2023 and it allowed us to book Club Dining ?

7 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Which is the other ship along with Arvia has only Freedom Dining as I have booked a cruise on Iona for 2023 and it allowed us to book Club Dining ?

Confusing as the P&O site does not mention any change

45 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

P&O has always marketed Iona as only having Freedom Dining. If they have changed this, I've not seen it mentioned anywhere. With their record on IT, it is possible that could be a glitch...