A WARNING for US cruisers.

sidari

5 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

This is either silly or stubborn; go when you need to.  NO ONE is checking the times. The port staff (who are NOT MSC) want you help get you onboard safely and expeditiously.  The intent of the times is to try to stagger guests.  If you want to sit around a hotel lobby after check out, that's your call.  No one will stop you at the port.  Pinky swear 😉

It's neither.  I have over 800 days on cruise ships. I've never had a boarding time moved back before. Last night I got a text from MSC telling me I now only have a 30 minute boarding window midafternoon.  Why would they send that? Just for kicks? 

Yes this is my first MSC cruise, so I do understand what you are saying, things are different with this cruise line. However are you aware their website will be down tomorrow?  That may be a factor. 

6 hours ago, tkwbear said:

It's neither.  I have over 800 days on cruise ships. I've never had a boarding time moved back before. Last night I got a text from MSC telling me I now only have a 30 minute boarding window midafternoon.  Why would they send that? Just for kicks? 

Yes this is my first MSC cruise, so I do understand what you are saying, things are different with this cruise line. However are you aware their website will be down tomorrow?  That may be a factor. 

I received the same text today (we board Divina Sunday) but it’s MSC I’m not going to worry about it. I know we won’t be turned away at 12:01

BA6F9A24-0E4B-4E59-84F7-9D8E56A321E1.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, publicpersona said:

I'm not from Ohio, so I certainly don't know. But are you certain these are the Rx only monitored tests? The difference in cost is significant.

I'm positive - as I have picked some up. It is shocking, I'll admit. I live in a small town and our library has a bunch of them...you can take what you want.

Now, you do need to be careful about expiration dates. We picked up 4 and they were expired, but then went back and got another 4 and they were fine. This is a little complicated because they are all marked with an exp date in November, but certain lots have been extended by 3 or 6 months, so you need to either Google or call Abbot to make sure you are good.

I discovered this from the Carnival thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Now, you do need to be careful about expiration dates.

Word. I have three kits that were purchased from Optum that had expiration dates that were just a few days after I received them. The lots are not listed on the Abbott list showing the revised expiration date, so I contacted Optum. I didn't get a response from them at first, so I contacted Abbott. Here's the kicker .. Optum eventually responded that the expiration date is always 12 months after the manufacturing date. But Abbott replied that this specific lot expired after 10 months. I engaged both together in an email and each said the other was wrong - back and forth. I guess I won't know until I try to use them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alyssamma said:

I'm positive - as I have picked some up. It is shocking, I'll admit. I live in a small town and our library has a bunch of them...you can take what you want.

Now, you do need to be careful about expiration dates. We picked up 4 and they were expired, but then went back and got another 4 and they were fine. This is a little complicated because they are all marked with an exp date in November, but certain lots have been extended by 3 or 6 months, so you need to either Google or call Abbot to make sure you are good.

I discovered this from the Carnival thread.

Mine expired in October but they continue to push back the expiration dates. Mine are now good into next month, and I expect they will push that back farther.  The online guys scan the barcode so they can identify any that are truly expired. 

6 minutes ago, tkwbear said:

Mine expired in October but they continue to push back the expiration dates. Mine are now good into next month, and I expect they will push that back farther.  The online guys scan the barcode so they can identify any that are truly expired. 

Correct, but *some* are truly expired so you'll need to be careful...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

Word. I have three kits that were purchased from Optum that had expiration dates that were just a few days after I received them. The lots are not listed on the Abbott list showing the revised expiration date, so I contacted Optum. I didn't get a response from them at first, so I contacted Abbott. Here's the kicker .. Optum eventually responded that the expiration date is always 12 months after the manufacturing date. But Abbott replied that this specific lot expired after 10 months. I engaged both together in an email and each said the other was wrong - back and forth. I guess I won't know until I try to use them.

Mine expired in October but there was a barcode on the mailing box that linked to the letter from the FDA giving permission for Abbott to extend the shelf life. 
I printed that out just in case we had a problem as we’ve been in FL all week and not at home 

I cruise tomorrow on Divina, we took the monitored test just after midnight Friday morning.

We got on right away with a tech no waiting time at all and nothing was mentioned about our tests being expired. When you begin the process they have you scan the barcode on the box. 
Thankfully we’re both negative. 

What I found interesting was our state’s health department sent me a text about 8 hrs later saying they were informed we tested negative for Covid.