A WARNING for US cruisers.

sidari

Problem with relying on the info from the cruise line is that, in MSC’s case, anyway, it’s not very reliable.   Our site was still showing we needed a PCR test done within 72 hours, when this had changed 5 days before to only needing an antigen test that had to be done within 48 hours.

Also, you can’t even trust the reps to have the correct information when you ring them. 

• Like 6

Does anyone know (mind you I'm Canadian) exactly what test I need to embark? I have also emailed MSC. 

The Canadian site says PCR - nothing about antigen, but it did have antigen up until a few days ago. the US site says for Canadians an antigen test is accepted. So confused!

7 minutes ago, darkblueerin said:

Does anyone know (mind you I'm Canadian) exactly what test I need to embark? I have also emailed MSC. 

The Canadian site says PCR - nothing about antigen, but it did have antigen up until a few days ago. the US site says for Canadians an antigen test is accepted. So confused!

MSC currently says this for international guests- Caribbean 

COVID-19 TEST REQUIREMENTS:

• All guests 2 years & older must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result (RT-PCR test) taken no more than 3 days before boarding
  • All guests 2 years & older will undergo an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal (free of charge) before boarding

3 minutes ago, phissy said:

MSC currently says this for international guests- Caribbean 

COVID-19 TEST REQUIREMENTS:

• All guests 2 years & older must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result (RT-PCR test) taken no more than 3 days before boarding
  • All guests 2 years & older will undergo an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal (free of charge) before boarding

Thank you - that means it's changed again since I looked yesterday. Hooray for the significantly more expensive test.....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, darkblueerin said:

Thank you - that means it's changed again since I looked yesterday. Hooray for the significantly more expensive test.....

Just checked FAQS for Caribbean- What tests do I need.

This on site

below:

U.S., Puerto Rico, & Canada residents: 
FULLY VACCINATED GUESTS 12 YEARS AND OLDER:

All fully vaccinated guests 12 years and older must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 2 days before departure and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. Fully vaccinated guests must provide either a negative RT-PCR test, negative NAAT or negative antigen test.

4 minutes ago, darkblueerin said:

CAD Site:

image.thumb.png.a289b0ca108bf2e04ade59788f13c26c.png

On the Health and Safety section of the US site, we aren't lumped with the US anymore, but we are in the FAQs....what is even happening.

EXACTLY.

I guess I would err on the side of caution.

Get the PCR tests .

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

I just cruised with RC last month. I had all my documentation and had no issues. They did not require an additional test at the cruise terminal.

I was excited about sailing with MSC on Saturday but now I'm almost dreading it. Their customer service group is worthless, they changed my boarding time back 3.5 hours for no apparent reason (along with many others). Yes, I've been told to use my original boarding pass (out of 7) but I don't want to anger their gestapo. I still have to do the COVID test online Thursday, which should go fine, but I am just tired of all the crap.

Saturday morning I will be sitting around the hotel lobby after checkout for 2-3 hours, something else to look forward to.

7 hours ago, tkwbear said:

I just cruised with RC last month. I had all my documentation and had no issues. They did not require an additional test at the cruise terminal.

I was excited about sailing with MSC on Saturday but now I'm almost dreading it. Their customer service group is worthless, they changed my boarding time back 3.5 hours for no apparent reason (along with many others). Yes, I've been told to use my original boarding pass (out of 7) but I don't want to anger their gestapo. I still have to do the COVID test online Thursday, which should go fine, but I am just tired of all the crap.

Saturday morning I will be sitting around the hotel lobby after checkout for 2-3 hours, something else to look forward to.

I speak from recent experience.  Use whatever boarding pass suits you best.  No one at MSC will know the difference....and I didn't see any gestapo, just a lot of people doing their best to get us onboard as quickly and easily as possible.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tkwbear said:

Hyperbole much?? 🙄

There are many reports on here about being able to arrive at the port, at a time different to the one allocated, without any issues - and certainly never experiencing “anger” from any of the staff at the port.  

Bytheway, the use of “gestapo” in this situation is extremely offensive. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, tkwbear said:

If you have your documentation when you get to the terminal you will have no issues with MSC.

No cruise line is bending the rules right now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tkwbear said:

I understand the stress and frustration after doing two trips recently.  For us just to get to port costs lots of money and hassle.  I don't blame folks for not wanting to deal with the hassles.

Add CDC and MSC constantly changing things doesn't help.

I will say the third party port staff went above and beyond to help us get on ship even with all right documents.  This was Miami and PC.

• Like 3

Well - that settles it then (from Canadian site)

• All Guest (12 years old and over):
  • need to provide a certificate of a negative RT-PCR taken within 3 days before embarkation (i.e if you embark on your cruise on a Saturday,  you should take your COVID-19 test on the Wednesday before).  Antigen COVID-19 test is not accepted to take a cruise (even though it is allowed to fly to the USA)  and boarding will be denied. If the COVID-19 RT-PCR test is done more than 2 days before embarkation, Guests will undergo an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal (free of charge), before boarding

On 11/8/2021 at 10:38 AM, phissy said:

EXACTLY.

I guess I would err on the side of caution.

Get the PCR tests .

I took my proctored Binax test this morning. It went fine. As far as anyone knows, that will still do the trick right? One of the customer service reps told me it was fine.

1 hour ago, tkwbear said:

I took my proctored Binax test this morning. It went fine. As far as anyone knows, that will still do the trick right? One of the customer service reps told me it was fine.

We took ours today for cruise on Saturday. Printed out Result Page with NEGATIVE result.

It will be good for embarkation. It was tele monitored and result was emailed and on Navica app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mirrasis said:

Can anyone give me a place or link to get the correct antigen test? I’m afraid a PCR won’t come back in enough time.

Also, our vaccination cards were hand written. Will that be an issue?

Correct at home antigen test is the one ordered online.

Two sources

eMed.com - which sells box of 6 for $150. or 

Optum.com - which sells 2 pack for $69.99

Binax Now Ag Card Covid 19 test by Abbott Labs

The one that is available over the counter at CVS or Walgreens is for personal use only. 

Our vaccination cards are hand written, or I should say, entries are hand written.

We have had 3 vaccinations (Booster) and all are hand written.

When we went to Hawaii, it was accepted without question.

Edited by phissy

On 11/8/2021 at 1:23 PM, tkwbear said:

This is either silly or stubborn; go when you need to.  NO ONE is checking the times. The port staff (who are NOT MSC) want you help get you onboard safely and expeditiously.  The intent of the times is to try to stagger guests.  If you want to sit around a hotel lobby after check out, that's your call.  No one will stop you at the port.  Pinky swear 😉

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Note that in Ohio these are free from the public library...other states may do similar things...

Thanks.  Didn't know that.  I'll have to check libraries here in central Ohio.  The Ohio.gov site isn't too friendly.

• Like 1