A WARNING for US cruisers.

sidari

I have just read this which was posted by a US travel agent that we have sailed with from Miami, Make sure your details are in good order so this does not happen to you.

my heart is breaking tonight....I had a wonderful family....planned a long time for the first time back to cruising....and denied entry to the ship.....they were told they had insufficient paperwork.....PLEASE...if your going on a cruise...DO NOT bring hand signed documents...they won't take them.....They even had a CVS hand written Document....not good enough....3 wonderful kids watched the boat sail without them....and it gets worse....where do they go? no plans to go back home...out of state...they flew in for this cruise...they have to call the airlines see if they can schedule for tomorrow...had to get their luggage from the ship....I called Royal Caribbean....neither I or Royal could help...its the PORT Security checking all the documents...OVER 200 people....had the wrong documents to board......Police had to intervene because so many folks were Angry.

3 minutes ago, sidari said:

I have just read this which was posted by a US travel agent that we have sailed with from Miami, Make sure your details are in good order so this does not happen to you.

my heart is breaking tonight....I had a wonderful family....planned a long time for the first time back to cruising....and denied entry to the ship.....they were told they had insufficient paperwork.....PLEASE...if your going on a cruise...DO NOT bring hand signed documents...they won't take them.....They even had a CVS hand written Document....not good enough....3 wonderful kids watched the boat sail without them....and it gets worse....where do they go? no plans to go back home...out of state...they flew in for this cruise...they have to call the airlines see if they can schedule for tomorrow...had to get their luggage from the ship....I called Royal Caribbean....neither I or Royal could help...its the PORT Security checking all the documents...OVER 200 people....had the wrong documents to board......Police had to intervene because so many folks were Angry.

I guess I don't understand.  What exactly was wrong with documents?  Hand signed by who?  What did they want from CVS?

Having just gone twice and requirements changing nearly daily, it can be stressful and confusing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KennyFla said:

Sounds like the covid test.  This has been discussed repeatedly here.  You must have the paperwork to board the ship.  No exceptions.

That’s not how I read it . It said hand signed from CVS not that they didn’t have the documents themselves . Although we are not sure what insufficient means at this point. 

I think I understand the OP’s post.  I had a rapid test done at a local urgent care center.  The lab report was hand-filled in by the lab tech.  It clearly did not look like an ‘official’ report by a certified lab.  I was worried whether it would be accepted.  Sure enough, at check-in, the port agent looked very askance at the reports. This was in Miami with MSC.  We were allowed to board.

I now do the monitored home rapid antigen test, which does send a very official lab report that can be printed.  To protect yourself ask in advance what the report looks like from these pop-up testing sites.

Dennis

• Like 1

That’s very strange that they say CVS had a hand written document. 
Before I retired I had to test weekly because I worked with seniors.
It was just easier for me to go to CVS or Walgreens for the test and my results were always emailed to me. I had over 30 weekly tests and never a hand written document. 

Only thing l can think of is maybe this particular CVS was having computer problems.  It’s hard to know when the facts of the story are so brief. 

• Like 3

Also, to answer this TA’s question of “where do they go?”
Well you’re their TA help them get home or book them a hotel someplace. There’s lots of hotels in that area. 

Is there a link to this thread?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, styles27 said:

That’s very strange that they say CVS had a hand written document. 
Before I retired I had to test weekly because I worked with seniors.
It was just easier for me to go to CVS or Walgreens for the test and my results were always emailed to me. I had over 30 weekly tests and never a hand written document. 

Only thing l can think of is maybe this particular CVS was having computer problems.  It’s hard to know when the facts of the story are so brief. 

Since CVS, at least here, does a drive through self administered test I don’t see how they got a handwritten report.  Walgreens and emed send an email. 

Just now, KennyFla said:

Since CVS, at least here, does a drive through self administered test I don’t see how they got a handwritten report.  Walgreens and emed send an email. 

I always did the drive thru tests @ CVS & Walgreens here as well. 

37 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Is there a link to this thread?

I googled it and couldn't find one and if there were 200 angry people that necessitated the police intervening, every local news station would be on it.  That story would bump the local crime sections of each newscast.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I googled it and couldn't find one and if there were 200 angry people that necessitated the police intervening, every local news station would be on it.  That story would bump the local crime sections of each newscast.

I did the same and couldn’t find anything about it. Seems a little exaggerated on the TA’s part if in fact this was even a TA 

Also searched the RCCL board and couldn’t find it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by styles27
  • Like 3

We are going on the Nov 6th sailing of the Meraviglia and my father-in-law talked to a rep on the phone and he said they will not accept antigen test unless they are CDC approved.  What the heck does that mean???  I don't know if the reps for MSC even read the website or because they have a different answer depending upon who you talk to.  

2 minutes ago, sojodave said:

We are going on the Nov 6th sailing of the Meraviglia and my father-in-law talked to a rep on the phone and he said they will not accept antigen test unless they are CDC approved.  What the heck does that mean???  I don't know if the reps for MSC even read the website or because they have a different answer depending upon who you talk to.  

It means that whatever test you are taking must be CDC approved.   If you get an antigen test ( the one where you get results in 15 minutes to a couple of hours) from any pharmacy or clinic, it should be CDC approved, but perhaps you would want to ask them to confirm.  If you buy an at-home test antigen test kit - then it needs to have teleheath monitoring included to be acceptable for travel.   

And its quite possible that the mention of "must be CDC approved" is due to the cruises being opened to Canadian and European travelers.  I am not familiar with their testing protocols, but perhaps some are not CDC compliant, hence the message your FIL received.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sojodave said:

The tests will say right on the package if CDC approved ( whether regular or under the emergency authorization) if you are using the home tests with telemed.  

If going to a urgent care center  or a drug store, ask.  

• Like 1

Could also be a case of not understanding “at home antigen test”.

attached are two pics. 
one is at home test, purchased from pharmacy. 
This one Is NOT acceptable for cruisr

One is same brand, with Ag Card , that is purchased online.

This one is tele monitored ( FaceTime with tech) and results are emailed to you.

This one is ACCEPTED for cruise for fully vaccinated. 
Those under 12 must get NAAT or PCR test from a facility.

Perhaps the kids had the wrong tests done?
Lesson: read carefully requirements for your cruise.

DC19D626-116C-461B-9041-B6344C2475DC.jpeg

47466A48-1023-48FB-8D07-C2A9FE9C5CFB.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sojodave said:

Perhaps they meant EUA from FDA

U.S., Puerto Rico, & Canada residents: 
FULLY VACCINATED GUESTS 12 YEARS AND OLDER:

All fully vaccinated guests 12 years and older must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 2 days before departure and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. Fully vaccinated guests must provide either a negative RT-PCR test, negative NAAT or negative antigen test.

CHILDREN 2 - 11 YEARS OLD REQUIREMENT: Any guest 2-11 years old must provide documentation of a negative RT-PCR, or other nucleic amplification test (NAAT) at the pier (antigen is not accepted). The test must be taken no more than 3 days before departure and the guest is responsible for the cost. 

Tests must be taken with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain, diagnostic lab or accredited at home telehealth provider. Guests will be required to show their negative test result upon arriving at the pier. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Test results will need to clearly show the type of test (Antigen, RT-PCR or NAAT), testing location/provider’s name, negative result, the guest’s name, and date and time the test was taken. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

Telehealth self-tests taken at home will be accepted provided the following requirements are met:

• The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information
  • Note that this test kit must be shipped to your home in most cases and may take up to 5 business days to arrive (in the U.S.) after you order.

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Could also be a case of not understanding “at home antigen test”.

attached are two pics. 
one is at home test, purchased from pharmacy. 
This one Is NOT acceptable for cruisr

One is same brand, with Ag Card , that is purchased online.

This one is tele monitored ( FaceTime with tech) and results are emailed to you.

This one is ACCEPTED for cruise for fully vaccinated. 
Those under 12 must get NAAT or PCR test from a facility.

Perhaps the kids had the wrong tests done?
Lesson: read carefully requirements for your cruise.

DC19D626-116C-461B-9041-B6344C2475DC.jpeg

47466A48-1023-48FB-8D07-C2A9FE9C5CFB.jpeg

I have a feeling the children had the wrong test. 
Also if I were using a TA I would expect them to be informed of the policies as well so that they may pass that info on to their clients. 

At least that’s what I would do if I were a TA but then again I am extremely organized and anal about details. I recognize not everyone is like me which is why I handle all the bookings lol

• Like 4

This ‘travel agent’ says that this happened on Royal Caribbean. Their website is extremely clear on all of this. First of all, it says no handwritten doctors notes.  Is a pharmacists note or handwritten test result a doctors note? I don’t know, and I wouldn’t risk it on my cruise. Also, I find it extremely difficult to believe that CVS is handing out handwritten test results. Secondly, unless you are an unvaccinated kid, they do have the option for you to test before entering the terminal. But unvaccinated kids are not able to do that because they need a PCR and it needs to be done at least the day before sailing per CDC, as explained on the RCCL site. They don’t mention how old these ‘wonderful kids’ are, but I’m guessing they were under 12. Or at least one of them was. And that brings up the handwritten thing again, because as unlikely as I think it is that CVS is giving out handwritten reports on a rapid test, I definitely don’t believe anybody is getting a handwritten report on a PCR test.

9A7ADD70-3FDC-42BE-9F29-5A689D5170DA.png

00E7DD93-E704-40BE-BD04-9C54B3C2C6C1.png

• Like 2