Real-Time Pre, During and Post Review of the NCL Joy, November 27, 2021 Sailing in the Haven

Sthrngary

22 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

May daughter did a TicTock of me.  I don't do social media except CruiseCritic.com.  I thought you all would appreciated this.  Enjoy.

This was adorable! See……. Dad( being a Dad )having fun and daughter appreciates it all…priceless! Looks like it was a fun cruise! So nice when it all comes together , after all the planning and anticipation! Well done! Thank you for the wonderful review!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cafevita said:

This was adorable! See……. Dad( being a Dad )having fun and daughter appreciates it all…priceless! Looks like it was a fun cruise! So nice when it all comes together , after all the planning and anticipation! Well done! Thank you for the wonderful review!

My pleasure and thank you.  

• Like 1

I had the honor of meeting Gary, his wife and daughter in Costa Maya as we were on the same excursion. Let me tell you folks, he's just as kind and wonderful in person as he is on these boards. I had a nice conversation with his daughter who was fun to chat with, and his wife was also incredibly kind. BUT funny story - 

We were with a few friends on this ship, two who happen to work for NCL. And one works onshore Haven Concierge. We're talking about her job and she says "there is this really nice man that everyone loves, literally every one loves and wants to work with, his name is Gary, he's actually on this sailing." and I'm like "ARE YOU KIDDING? I KNOW GARY!!" and it was the funniest coincidence ever. But @Sthrngary I have it on good authority that you are absolutely LOVED by some NCL workers! Thought you'd like to know!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, washdcguy said:

Thanks for the awesome review.  We'll be trying out Haven and NCL for the first time before Christmas and are excited to experience it (and praying Omicron doesn't get in the way).  Both this thread and your other thread on the Haven have been invaluable, and the planner is just next level!

So we're traveling with our fully vaxed (2 shots + 2 weeks) 8 year old.  I didn't see it in any of your posts, but do you know if the kids clubs were open or were there just too few kids to warrant them being open.  

... she's not one of those that will spoil the Haven for others.  

I know for a fact that the "little kids" space on level 5 was closed for our Nov 27-Dec 4th sailing (can't remember what it was called), but Entourage (the teen space) was open. The kid's area in the pool was open some days and closed others, you just had to refer to the dailies. But really no one was on there. I imagine the youngest age sailing with us was 16. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kamikazii said:

I had the honor of meeting Gary, his wife and daughter in Costa Maya as we were on the same excursion. Let me tell you folks, he's just as kind and wonderful in person as he is on these boards. I had a nice conversation with his daughter who was fun to chat with, and his wife was also incredibly kind. BUT funny story - 

We were with a few friends on this ship, two who happen to work for NCL. And one works onshore Haven Concierge. We're talking about her job and she says "there is this really nice man that everyone loves, literally every one loves and wants to work with, his name is Gary, he's actually on this sailing." and I'm like "ARE YOU KIDDING? I KNOW GARY!!" and it was the funniest coincidence ever. But @Sthrngary I have it on good authority that you are absolutely LOVED by some NCL workers! Thought you'd like to know!

I did not know that about the NCL staff.  WOW, that is incredible.  I just sent Maria at NCL my TicToc video my daughter did.  I was thrilled to me you also.  So much fun.  Thank you so much for the kind words and making feel so special.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I did not know that about the NCL staff.  WOW, that is incredible.  I just sent Maria at NCL my TicToc video my daughter did.  I was thrilled to me you also.  So much fun.  Thank you so much for the kind words and making feel so special.

Gary, my friend from NCL just texted me the TikTok video saying "Gary sent this to us this morning!" They've all been LOVING it! I'm telling you, you truly are adored amongst NCL staff! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kamikazii said:

Gary, my friend from NCL just texted me the TikTok video saying "Gary sent this to us this morning!" They've all been LOVING it! I'm telling you, you truly are adored amongst NCL staff! 

Yes, I sent it this morning.  Thank you so much.  Life is more fun when you let everyone know how much you care.  You made me feel so good letting me know.  My daughter knocked the cover off the ball on that TikTok.  30K views so far.  Thanks again.

By the way, my wife Tami won the Slot Tournament and she gets to go to the finals on December 4, 2022 on the NCL Breakaway.  Crazy right??  Thanks again.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

Yes, I sent it this morning.  Thank you so much.  Life is more fun when you let everyone know how much you care.  You made me feel so good letting me know.  My daughter knocked the cover off the ball on that TikTok.  30K views so far.  Thanks again.

By the way, my wife Tami won the Slot Tournament and she gets to go to the finals on December 4, 2022 on the NCL Breakaway.  Crazy right??  Thanks again.

WOW 🙂

Your wife is really on a roll!

Time for a couple of long-shot lottery tickets maybe?  Heh...

And yes, thanks for all of your posts.  They've been very informative, and if we hadn't already been on NCL in the Haven, it would have been an incredible source of information.  We weren't quite sure what to expect our first time, no surprise, and we did try to read a lot here on CC.  But your level of detail and sharing is incredible.

And that TikTok... AMAZING!

I give you a lot of credit for putting it all right out there!

(Was that actually you in the slide!?)

So glad you all had such a good time!

GC

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

WOW 🙂

Your wife is really on a roll!

Time for a couple of long-shot lottery tickets maybe?  Heh...

And yes, thanks for all of your posts.  They've been very informative, and if we hadn't already been on NCL in the Haven, it would have been an incredible source of information.  We weren't quite sure what to expect our first time, no surprise, and we did try to read a lot here on CC.  But your level of detail and sharing is incredible.

And that TikTok... AMAZING!

I give you a lot of credit for putting it all right out there!

(Was that actually you in the slide!?)

So glad you all had such a good time!

GC

Yes, that was my old self.  My daughter was up there with me but she had a piercing that could not come out and was not allowed.  I did the first slide like that on the NCL Getaway in Nov 2019.  I was all in this time.  Loved it and did the other slide as well.  You got to stay young at heart.  So much fun. 

Cruise well.

On 12/4/2021 at 10:37 AM, Sthrngary said:

Saturday, December 4, 2021:

Just like every other cruise ever taken, you never get sleep the last night.  You tend to overindulge in food, drink and gambling.  You postpone the packing until the very last second.  If you follow my posts, you know I plan what to do on the last day.  I skipped breakfast on Friday morning, and secretly packed.  No one knew what I was doing BUT it was clearly listed in my “Family Journal Document”.  When my family noticed I was all done, they were not happy with me.  They all like to be the leader and I faked them all out.  It was one of my pleasures of this trip, LOL.

My lovely bride won the Slot Tournament which earned her $465.00.  More importantly, she was entered in the $100,000.00 winner take all Final Slot tournament on the NCL Escape, out of New Orleans, December 2, 2022.  My plan is to get as many of our friends to join us because New Orleans is a 5-hour drive from where we live.  That is my plan anyway.

Now during the next week, I will write my review for Cruise Critic.  For this blog I will just give everyone the high hard ones. 

Food:  All the food was great, yet the Haven Restaurant is still my favorite.  I was most impressed with the Local especially the burgers and chicken wings.  That was a nice surprise.  The specialty dining was good but not great in my opinion.  The Teppanyaki Restaurant was my favorite for both the show and food.  The French Restaurant was my least favorite.  Funny thing, I ate far less on this cruise than any previous cruise.  I guess two years of a Keto diet worked. 

Activities: The racetrack was fun but a one-time thing.  The same holds true for the Laser Tag and Galaxy P.  Glad I did it but been there and done that.  I loved the pink pong, both waterslides and the mini golf.  The gambling is always fun but having the availability of using your suite key for cash is dangerous.  I was good but not good enough.

Entertainment:  The best on cruise ships and the reason why one should go on NCL.  Elements was the best but hard to rate.  Do not miss Footloose and the Beatles. Go to the Sugar Cane at night for some over the top live music and meet “Bong” the bartender.  Ask him to show you his mouse and magic tricks.  He is awesome. Don’t miss the “Men’s Sexy Legs Contest” by the pool, so funny.

My Suite: Nothing to say but WOW.  It was the Owners Suite, and it will never happen again.  This was a postponed 40th wedding anniversary with my adult children.  The ship was 30% capacity.  THIS WAS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME EXPERIENCE!!!!!  “Until the next cruise of course, LOL”

Staff/Cruise:  Over the top outstanding and not just in the Haven. Every single crew member.  Well done, NCL.

Spa:  My daughter got three treatments.  My recommendation is to check your ship account every single day.  I had two huge corrections which is always a hassle to deal with on the last day. 

Premium Plus Beverage Package:  If you can afford it, if you like to go all the way for one week a year, if you want to do $40.00 shots of tequila; I highly recommend it. If you have questions, there are many blogs on CruiseCritic on this subject.

Well, there you have it.  I hoped I helped everyone soon to be cruising.

Cruise Well Everyone, see you next time.

Hi Gary, what a treat to have someone like you with all your insights!  Can you tell me if there was anything in particular you found least appealing about Le Bistro?  We have a group of 14 booked on the Joy February 5-12, 2022, all sailing in the Haven.  One of the specialty restaurants I chose was Le Bistro, since we've never done it before.  Just curious what made it not where I expected it to be.

Thanks, Mike

27 minutes ago, mjh2w1 said:

Hi Gary, what a treat to have someone like you with all your insights!  Can you tell me if there was anything in particular you found least appealing about Le Bistro?  We have a group of 14 booked on the Joy February 5-12, 2022, all sailing in the Haven.  One of the specialty restaurants I chose was Le Bistro, since we've never done it before.  Just curious what made it not where I expected it to be.

Thanks, Mike

Mike: Your question is going to create some reaction.  Some folks love Le Bistro other are ok with it. I was just ok with it.  I have been twice over the last few years.  The escargot was just ok.  The French Onion soup was great.  Most of the entree's we thought were average with the exception to my Lamb Chops.  The obeyance and service were GREAT.  

French food is a hard thing to do on a cruise ship unless it is a luxury brand.  Now do I think you should go, absolutely.  I just wanted to set the expectation correctly.  If we whom love NCL always say everything is great like Social Media influencers, we are not being transparent.  Some will disagree with my thoughts but always remember, food is relative.  

I hope that gave you some further incite to my thoughts.  

Cruise well.

23 minutes ago, ElizaSTN said:

I was wondering if they did the meet and greet with officers for Haven guests?   

Yes, but I skipped it.  It is done in the Haven Lounge.  I have been to a few and they are ok.  

Cruise well.

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Mike: Your question is going to create some reaction.  Some folks love Le Bistro other are ok with it. I was just ok with it.  I have been twice over the last few years.  The escargot was just ok.  The French Onion soup was great.  Most of the entree's we thought were average with the exception to my Lamb Chops.  The obeyance and service were GREAT.  

French food is a hard thing to do on a cruise ship unless it is a luxury brand.  Now do I think you should go, absolutely.  I just wanted to set the expectation correctly.  If we whom love NCL always say everything is great like Social Media influencers, we are not being transparent.  Some will disagree with my thoughts but always remember, food is relative.  

I hope that gave you some further incite to my thoughts.  

Cruise well.

Exactly what I was looking for!  Just your perspective.  Thanks

• Like 1

CruiseCritic.som members, so thank you for all your support on this stream.  I had a great time doing it.  Some unsolicited feedback on my last few cruises included Crystal Cruises and NCL Joy.

Crystal Cruises: If you love the NCL Haven experience, the Crystal Cruises Ocean offerings are like having the entire ship being the Haven on Steroids.  Crystal is a luxury brand for sure.  Just like NCL, not everyone loves Crystal and share why they love other luxury brands.  What I found was if you just wanted to cruise, have 5-star service and dining; and at a reasonable investment sometimes less than the Haven, Crystal is a great choice.  What you need to know is the crowd is very chill, quiet and reserved.  It is meant for relaxing and ports.  The night life is limited.  The dining is the very best I have ever had on a cruise ship.  Glad I did it and will do it again just in Europe with lots of ports.

NCL Joy: With all I heard about how the Joy ship was lacking compared to the Bliss or the Encore I had a hard time feeling that way.  As I have said so many times, this was a once in a lifetime cruise for my family and me.  Low guest count, ship was like new, crew was super happy, NCL went all out.  No waits for attractions, shows and restaurants.  Our suite was spectacular.  Above I compared Crystal.  Crystal had better dining and service overall. The reason was the entire ship was like being in the Haven.  I thought that was the answer for me and it was nice.  However, after my cruise on the NCL Joy, my preferences are solidly on the Haven and NCL.  The shows, activities, energy and over all experience was for whatever reason, much better than expected. My next cruise is scheduled for December 2022 on the NCL Breakaway.  This is the finals of the Slot Tournament which my wife won on the Joy last week.

With cruising, everyone has different needs.  Whether Crystal, NCL, Oceania or Regents; everyone gets what they are looking for.  If you want to try a luxury cruise at a reasonable investment, try Crystal for sure. 

Cruise well everyone. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

CruiseCritic.som members, so thank you for all your support on this stream.  I had a great time doing it.  Some unsolicited feedback on my last few cruises included Crystal Cruises and NCL Joy.

Crystal Cruises: If you love the NCL Haven experience, the Crystal Cruises Ocean offerings are like having the entire ship being the Haven on Steroids.  Crystal is a luxury brand for sure.  Just like NCL, not everyone loves Crystal and share why they love other luxury brands.  What I found was if you just wanted to cruise, have 5-star service and dining; and at a reasonable investment sometimes less than the Haven, Crystal is a great choice.  What you need to know is the crowd is very chill, quiet and reserved.  It is meant for relaxing and ports.  The night life is limited.  The dining is the very best I have ever had on a cruise ship.  Glad I did it and will do it again just in Europe with lots of ports.

NCL Joy: With all I heard about how the Joy ship was lacking compared to the Bliss or the Encore I had a hard time feeling that way.  As I have said so many times, this was a once in a lifetime cruise for my family and me.  Low guest count, ship was like new, crew was super happy, NCL went all out.  No waits for attractions, shows and restaurants.  Our suite was spectacular.  Above I compared Crystal.  Crystal had better dining and service overall. The reason was the entire ship was like being in the Haven.  I thought that was the answer for me and it was nice.  However, after my cruise on the NCL Joy, my preferences are solidly on the Haven and NCL.  The shows, activities, energy and over all experience was for whatever reason, much better than expected. My next cruise is scheduled for December 2022 on the NCL Breakaway.  This is the finals of the Slot Tournament which my wife won on the Joy last week.

With cruising, everyone has different needs.  Whether Crystal, NCL, Oceania or Regents; everyone gets what they are looking for.  If you want to try a luxury cruise at a reasonable investment, try Crystal for sure. 

Cruise well everyone. 

I know I'm a pita (my wife reminds me every day), but any chance you brought home the dailies from Joy? 

Tia

On 12/5/2021 at 11:22 AM, Sthrngary said:

May daughter did a TicTock of me.  I don't do social media except CruiseCritic.com.  I thought you all would appreciated this.  Enjoy.

BRAVO!!! Great trip report and the TikTok was SUPER!!! I'd happily cruise with you anywhere. Safe return to reality Gary and thanks again!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, a1betpr said:

I’ve got them for the Dec 4 sailing…

That's awesome! We're sailing Joy January 15th and I can't wait to see your dailies for planning purposes, assuming you are going to post them. 

Thank you in advance. 

Edited by bkrickles1

The below link is of my family and me on our recent NCL Joy family cruise vacation.  We stayed in the H2-Haven Deluxe Owners Suite with Large Balcony.  The YouTube.com video has a Timeline Table of Contents agenda so you can go to the area you would like to hear and see.  

I discuss the Haven Amenities, Amenities special to just the H2 Owners Suite, Pros/Cons and a lot more.  The entire video last 14 minutes.  If you like it, give it a thumbs up.  If you have a comment on how I can improve my presentation, let me know. My goal was to provide a real consumers point of view.  This is part of a video series I do called, "The Cranky Old Man" Which I am.  

Cruise Well Everyone and Enjoy Every Minute.

Link: 

• Like 2