Any suggestions for Barcelona Hotel?

Ask4Jay

We just booked the Hotel Colon in Barcelona for two nights at the end of our Regatta cruise arriving 11/3. It will be our first time in Barcelona, but the web site looks good and it was rated "Best Location" by either Frommer's or Fodor's.[/url]

I agree. We stayed at the Hotel Colon in April, 2004. The price was good (160 euros per night), and it was right at the centre of the tourist square, literally a few steps from restaurants, shops, ATMs and a cathedral (it was Easter and we could take pictures of the procession from our private balcony). While the room was not large, it was clean and comfortable enough.

I've booked it too.. but I can't seem to get a "real person" email reply from that hotel.. Has anyone had this problem with them? i have now sent them 3 emails and nothing.

So curious if this is par for them. ??

I had just the opposite experience. I got two emails from them answering my questions a couple of weeks ago.

Claudia:

Perhaps you can call them (by phone) and ask, then at least you'll get a live person. Ask him to fax or e-mail you a confirmation, so there will be no mistake.

On our recent trip to the Far East (by air), we booked a hotel room in Hong Kong (a local hotel found on the web). We did not get a confirmation number but assumed everything would be fine. When we arrived, there was no room, period, and we finally managed to get to another hotel close by. So try to get your confirmation in writing, it helps!

We took your advice, Jan and just booked the Hotel Colon. We had a booking at the Apsis Atrium Palace, which looks like a nicer, more modern hotel, but does not have the location.

Claudia, I booked it on their web site and received an email confirmation with the reservation code.

I have visited Barcelona a few times and have some very general ideas about hotels...

The last couple of visits, we have stayed at the Hilton and at the Gran Havana...Both hotels were very nice...I would not stay at the Hilton again though, because the location is not particularly convenient (When we stayed there, we had a car...and the Hilton has good, underground parking...but it is a distance to any tourist sites)

The Gran Havan, OTOH, was excellent and located in a very desirable area--in the Eixample District, along the Corts de Catalan, just a few short blocks from the Placa Catalunya

Here is my feeling on Barcelona hotel locations (and since there are many options, you can choose accordingly): First thing to know is that the "center" of everything in Barcelona is the Placa Catalunya. This is the large public square at the "head" of Las Ramblas, Barcelona's historic walking promenade. The Placa Catalunya is also within walking distance (up Passieg de Gracia) to Gaudi's Casa Mila and Casa Batllo and a very simple bus ride up to Parc Guell to the North. On the Eastern side of Placa Catalunya is El Corte Ingles, Spain's great department store--with a wonderful market in the basement level where you can purchase bottled water and other drinks and all sorts of snacks for your room at very reasonable prices. All of Barcelona's transportation systems use the Placa Catalunya as a hub...and the square is a center of nightlife...

So, what you really want is to be as close as possible to the Placa Catalunya, if not right on it...

The neighborhood to the North of Placa Catalunya is the "Eixample District"...it is Barcelona's "newer", more modern section with wide boulevards and more modern buildings...To the South is the Barri Gotic--the older section with dark, narrow streets and older buildings, often not in very good shape...The general concensus is that the Eixample is a fairly "safe" neighborhood (though be wary of pickpockets anywhere in Barcelona) while the Barri Gotic is a little "less safe"--the further south you get, the more unseemly the neighborhood...

The other thing to be wary of is "bad air conditioning"...Some older hotels don't have it at all...some have it--or claim to have it--it just doesn't work well...All I can say is read the reviews carefully...

Good luck...

We took your advice, Jan and just booked the Hotel Colon. We had a booking at the Apsis Atrium Palace, which looks like a nicer, more modern hotel, but does not have the location.

Claudia, I booked it on their web site and received an email confirmation with the reservation code.

Yep, I also booked on their website and got that response and I also sent 3 emails to the hotel with some questions and have not received a real person ( not reservation generated reply) at all..it is very strange not to get personal quick responses..and it is starting to bug me..so was curious if anyone has had this problem wth them..

Saw the headline and was going to recommend Hotel Colon and its sister, Regencia Colon... glad to see the former has been mentioned already. I just stayed at the Regencia Colon (just behind the Hotel Colon and slightly downmarket, with some great deals) this month. The location cannot be beat, in the middle of Barri Gotic (Old Town) and central to practically everything.

For tapas, I highly recommend Taverna del Bisbe, which is immediately across from the Hotel Colon. I tried it the first night, and went back each night since... nice local wine selection, and outstanding tapas including tortilla (Spanish omelette), octopus, heavenly garlic mushrooms, etc.

Cannot wait for a return visit to Barcelona! :)

Saw the headline and was going to recommend Hotel Colon and its sister, Regencia Colon... glad to see the former has been mentioned already. I just stayed at the Regencia Colon (just behind the Hotel Colon and slightly downmarket, with some great deals) this month. The location cannot be beat, in the middle of Barri Gotic (Old Town) and central to practically everything.

For tapas, I highly recommend Taverna del Bisbe, which is immediately across from the Hotel Colon. I tried it the first night, and went back each night since... nice local wine selection, and outstanding tapas including tortilla (Spanish omelette), octopus, heavenly garlic mushrooms, etc.

Cannot wait for a return visit to Barcelona! :)

Was the cathedral (across street from Colon) renovations completed or is the scaffolding still there? Curious if we should get cathedral view rooms if there is no view:rolleyes: thanks

the hotel majestic is also a wonderful hotel on pasaje de gracia.........across the street from one of gaudi's houses and another within walking 2 blocks down- lovely rooms and one of the best restaurants in barcelona. tapas is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! another good guide for barcelona is MARIBEL'S GUIDE.

How far ahead are you going to stay in Barcelona? I'm trying to figure out if two days ahead is good enough. We are on the Oct. 6 cruise. I know we stay overnight on the ship, but I'm not sure how far in advance is a comfortable time to get there.

Thanks!

Ally

Ally,

Last time I was there it was at the end of a cruise...I spent two nights in addition to the "overnight" and it was a fair amount of time...at least to see the major sights of Barcelona (La Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Casa Mila, Casa Batllo, Las Ramblas, the Barri Gotic and Old Cathedral, Picasso Museum, Montjuic) at a reasonable pace...I would suggest you could use three days and see all of the above...

But, if you have the time to do some additional days, there are places worth visiting outside of the city as well: Girona and Figueras up the coast a little (Girona is a great Medeival town and it's neighbor Figueras is the home of Salvador Dali) or Montserrat, an old Monastery town near Barcelona...

And, of course, among the joys of Barcelona is "just hanging out"...eating Tapas or at outdoor cafes in small Placas, shopping, strolling and enjoying the nightlife...

And, if it's the "pre-cruise" for you, remember that you will have a 10 hour time change from SoCal...and you will be coming off a 14 hour plane ride...You will be jet-lagged and tired when you arrive...it's nice to just relax a little at first and catch up with time and sleep...

And, if you have a LOT of extra time pre-cruise, you might want to get to Spain a week or more ahead of time...maybe fly into Madrid instead (we just did a four-night precruise in Madrid prior to our July cruise...and had a great time visiting Madrid, Toledo, Avila and Segovia) ...maybe Granada and/or Seville as well...and then down to Barcelona...

So, the real answer to your questionm is that there is no rule as to "enough time"...it's never enough...take as much time as you can afford and get away with...

In 2003 we stayed at the Meson Castilla, not far off the northern end of La Rambla. It was reasonably priced and convenient. They directed us to a local restaurant for lunch which was not a tourist place and very nice. The breakfast was good and in a delightful room. Like all European 3 star hotels

(which is what this hotel is) the breakfast was included. Check it out on http://www.Tripadvisor.com. I think the rate was around 100 euros; which is pretty good for Barcelona.

We stayed at the Continental Palacete. Great location (3 blocks from Placa Catalyuna), friendly helpful staff, all day mini-buffet (great for breakfast and snacks and including beer, wine and bottled water). Rooms are small and very clean - price for smallest is 130 Euros. We're going back next month and will stay there for 3 nights and at the Five Rooms for 2 nights (going and coming from Mallorca). Interest was piqued re: the 5 Rooms by the wonderful review already noted here and by TripAdvisor. Will post my review when I return.

Archived