Allure Vs. Harmony - Aug 2022 - Huge price difference - support needed

ljzelenz

1 minute ago, crusinthrough said:

Actually, on this board and social media in general Ive read posts where someone was told something by a crew member that ultimately ended up being not true,   I guess you believe everything posted on social media has to be true.  

Of course I do.😉

I think that RCI would have a vested interest in crew not spreading false rumors about Labadee and I don't really know what the crew would get out of doing so. Think about the place. Decadence in the face of the locals, who have little, day after day. Suddenly the place is now deserted. The rest is easy to imagine....

3 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Don't forget the earthquake event that destroyed parts of an already dysfunctional and poverty stricken  country. Remember too, that 17 missionaries were kidnapped. All that could affect not using Labadee.

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I am not talking about the country of Haiti but RC's private island that is part of Haiti.  RC has been using the port for years and I honestly cannot remember a time Haiti has not had political unrest.  This is not the first devasting earthquake either.

I'm not advocating for this to be a stop.  The only thing I questioned was that the "locals" trashed the island.  

6 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

I am not talking about the country of Haiti but RC's private island that is part of Haiti.  RC has been using the port for years and I honestly cannot remember a time Haiti has not had political unrest.  This is not the first devasting earthquake either.

I'm not advocating for this to be a stop.  The only thing I questioned was that the "locals" trashed the island.  

Labadee is hardly an island. If it was then maybe it would have been more protected.  There is nothing more than a fence with a gate and an open waterfront facing the village across the bay.

It would be good if you are right but I have my doubts.

• Thanks 1

When we were Labadee a few years ago, we were told to stay in the 'resort' area. Being too curious, I walked up by the fence where I saw a couple of people begging for anything. I stayed back and went back to the beach area. So Labadee is not an island. I have been trying to get any information about the place, but so far, no luck other than the rumor I heard.

A few years back, passengers were not allowed off the ship at Labadee due protestors in small boats around the ship and pier. They were protesting the Haitian government. Why they thought it was a good idea to protest at Labadee is a mystery.

Another rumor...Royal is looking for a place in the Bahamas to replace Labadee.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Labadee is hardly an island.

1 hour ago, baldilocks said:

So Labadee is not an island.

Another rumor...Royal is looking for a place in the Bahamas to replace Labadee.

I agree.  Labadee is not an island.  It is part of Haiti and you cannot be both.  I referenced it as island only because  it's referred to as "RC's  private island".  

I would not be surprised about replacing Labadee.  

More unverifiable details here. . . we visited Labadee only once and did the sea kayak excursion which allowed us to paddle near the closest village - they did not let us go ashore there.  It did feel a little odd gawking at the locals while maintaining the mandated safe distance. 

In any case, our guide, a local, homegrown real live Haitian young man, told us that the agreement was for a term of 50 years.  We'd crossed the 30-year mark at that point, and this gentleman told us people were already worried about the potential of RCI leaving in 2036.  

He could have been a shill but he seemed sincere. He told us life had improved dramatically because of RCI - that not only were many hundreds of people employed as a result, but local infrastructure impacting them had been put in place, such as electricity and better schools.  He told us "everyone" in Haiti wants to work for RCI. It is, according to him, the best employer and career option in the entire nation. And again "everyone" knows it. 

Trashing it is certainly possible but not in their interests, and would require the ne'er do wells to get access beyond the security protecting it.  RCI has temporarily halted visits several times over the years when civil unrest exceeds certain safety thresholds.  The area of Haiti where the port lies is near Cap Hatien, which is also known as being relatively much safer, more peaceful, and a little more prosperous than Port-au-Prince. 

But in the end, it seems right now the pause is in line with similar cautions in the past, and likely in the future. Unfortunately Haiti shows few signs of systemic, widespread improvement of their politics, economics, or standards of living for their people.

On 11/14/2021 at 7:41 AM, ljzelenz said:

Hello,

We are attempting to decide on a balcony stateroom for an August 2022 Sailing on either the Allure or the Harmony. 

My husband and I and our  18 and a 17 year olds.  1 - Cabin -  Balcony -  we have sailed 8 RCI cruises and have been on the Allure in the past as well as the Symphony.  Was scheduled for the Harmony in April 2020.  - Not big water slides - folks.

Harmony - Coco Cay - St Thomas - St Kits

Allure - Labadee - Aruba - Curacao

The Allure is pricing at 2,500 cheaper than the Harmony.  The Allure is an 8 night Southern and the Harmony is a 7 night Eastern.

Right now the Allure is sailing to Labadee.  Will they replace this island if they are still not sailing to Labadee ?  What would the options be ?

We would really appreciate Thoughts on the Allure ?   Seems like it is too good to pass up for the price. but are not sure if we are missing anything.? 8 nights as well.

We know the ship has not been refurbished since our last sailing ?   is this worth justifying 2,500 more ?

Also, any thoughts on the shows ?

Thanks in advance,  Lori

Back to this original question - Oasis class ships are all awesome. I wouldn't worry about ports. The ship is the draw. The answer is the ship will be similar enough to Harmony to take the better offer. Period!@ Do it!