Health Questionnaire - question

bigrednole

We received the Health Questionnaire to complete for Carnival. I have a question on one of the questions and the wording. The question is: In the 14 days before boarding, have you had any one or more of the following symptoms? One of the items is "Cough". That item is extremely generic. The question also poses that it is a symptom and not necessarily a reaction. If you had a cough that was a reaction to inhaling a dog hair or fiber from a mask, does that count? What about a cough from choking on a piece of food?

In those two cases, it was a reaction and not a symptom to something else. How do you answer the question? Because it is not a symptom and instead a reaction, I would answer the question No. All of the other symptoms listed are no. How do you manage or answer this generalization? What happens if you answer Yes to the question, are you denied boarding?

Edited by bigrednole

A cough can be a symptom. They aren’t asking ‘have u coughed’ in the past 14 days. If they did, everyone would say yes. They are asking ‘have you had a cough’ (as a symptom). A cough as a symptom is prolonged (hours to days or more) and not in response to a temporary stimulant like choking. I think reasonable people can tell the difference between coughing over inhaling a dog hair and coughing intermittently for a week (for example as in a cold).

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

We received the Health Questionnaire to complete for Carnival. I have a question on one of the questions and the wording. The question is: In the 14 days before boarding, have you had any one or more of the following symptoms? One of the items is "Cough". That item is extremely generic. The question also poses that it is a symptom and not necessarily a reaction. If you had a cough that was a reaction to inhaling a dog hair or fiber from a mask, does that count? What about a cough from choking on a piece of food?

In those two cases, it was a reaction and not a symptom to something else. How do you answer the question? Because it is not a symptom and instead a reaction, I would answer the question No. All of the other symptoms listed are no. How do you manage or answer this generalization? What happens if you answer Yes to the question, are you denied boarding?

I think you’re being too literal.  I think they mean coughing from illness.  Not coughing because you just walked thru a smoky room or something not illness-related.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BamaMomRollTide said:

I think you’re being too literal.  I think they mean coughing from illness.  Not coughing because you just walked thru a smoky room or something not illness-related.  

I deal with contracts often with work and have to meet with Legal teams. Unfortunately, literal is what matters and the question is asked vaguely. I, as you and most lay people, interpret the question meaning the cough is a symptom of an illness, cold, flu, etc. I wanted to get other people's interpretation before I did answer and submit. 

I know they are trying to be protective and proactive. But, the question should be worded slightly different so it doesn't feel more like a trap. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My vista someone said yes to cough. He used to be a smoker and still had a cough years later.

Health questionnaire stops and you cant go further and it says call to cancel.

His was a chronic cough from years ago. 

That is annoying. Many people have chronic coughs for all kinds of reasons. I've seen that question asked differently in other situations. "Do you have a new or worsening cough" or "Do you have an unexplained cough". Those are a lot more reasonable. I'm pretty sure most current or former smokers have a chronic cough. It can also be a side effect to alot of medications. Also allergy and asthma symptom. If you know what the cause of you cough is, there's no reason that should be used to stop you from boarding. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

That is annoying. Many people have chronic coughs for all kinds of reasons. I've seen that question asked differently in other situations. "Do you have a new or worsening cough" or "Do you have an unexplained cough". Those are a lot more reasonable. I'm pretty sure most current or former smokers have a chronic cough. It can also be a side effect to alot of medications. Also allergy and asthma symptom. If you know what the cause of you cough is, there's no reason that should be used to stop you from boarding. 

I think the question is horribly written. It needs to be more specific as you stated. I am taking it to mean that the cough is a symptom of an illness. 

• Like 2

I just got my 2nd Shingrix shot and flu shot.  I had to answer all these questions, too.  I always put no (unless I was truly having a new symptom, etc).  

That said, I’m the type of person that if I had a cold virus one month, I will have an occasional cough for at least a month later.  But I would still put “no” as it’s not a new symptom.  

Edited by BamaMomRollTide
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, BamaMomRollTide said:

I just got my 2nd Shingrix shot and flu shot.  I had to answer all these questions, too.  I always put no (unless I was truly having a new symptom, etc).  

That said, I’m the type of person that if I had a cold virus one month, I will have an occasional cough for at least a month later.  But I would still put “no” as it’s not a new symptom.  

My husband is a chronic cough-er! Any time he gets a new cold/cough, he will cough for weeks after all the other symptoms have passed.  The rest of our family never catches it from him. He answers no to this question. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

My vista someone said yes to cough. He used to be a smoker and still had a cough years later.

Health questionnaire stops and you cant go further and it says call to cancel.

His was a chronic cough from years ago. 

I read that, also.  Sadly, bad results come from being very honest.

In October we went on the Miracl. I got one of the symptoms (Not Coughing) the night before the cruise. So when I woke up I went on the app to change my health status and cancel the cruise. The app would not allow me to change the health questionnaire and said something about it being handled at the dock. My husband and I reported to the dock, hoping we could at least get a credit for the cruise and sail another time.

We got to check in (With our luggage, as we were sure we were driving home) and before we could say anything, the lady asked us to read the sign. The sign said "If you have two of these symptoms, please report it to the agent" I asked her specifically, " What about if I have one of the symptoms?" She said No, it needs to be two. We were kind of shocked, but I think that is just the first line of defense. When we were on Princess they flagged us for traveling to Mexico the week before. On that one they asked us to talk to the doctor, who is located at a check in window. The doctor just looked at our Negative PCR test and said fine, go ahead.

I am honestly shocked to hear about the person who had to cancel, just based on my experiences. I agree, the questions should really be worded better and it would be nice if we all knew what the actual "rules" were.