A Few Observations From The Poop Deck Equinox

morpheusofthesea

It is very difficult for Yours Truly to get into cruising until we know we pass a covid test together. DW always threatens to leave me behind (at home) if I don't get a negative result. (I know deep down she really means it). It is pouring rain at this moment as we pack (I'm taking a break. Besides how much can one fit in an under-the-seat duffle?) . I just hope our cabin has a nice overhang over a deep balcony. Booked this cabin sight unseen, going only on past reviews, this way I only have someone else to blame. Plan on taking photos and posting ("best laid schemes of mice and me"). Another 'scheme' of mine is attempting to 'pace' myself at  Cafe Al Bacio and following up with our after show raid at the dessert buffet. This cruise I intend to observe the differences one may expect from the ultra luxury lines (from what we are being 'sold') to what Celebrity Retreat actually provides in their attempt to attract  this niche market, aside from caviar on demand. I just may fail miserably. But I will give it the 'old college try'.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Do tell more. What ship and what sailing?

First things first. In order to 'properly' get into the mood this morning of our departure (and waking  and limbering up before I lift DW 8 suitcases into the car), we (I) ceremoniously put National Lampoon's "Holiday Road" on loud continuous loop. It stimulates my 'happy dance' and has become a ritual before every cruise. Now that one has some picture....and (hint) we drive the 30 minutes and park at Terminal 25 Port Everglades. Celebrity Equinox, November 19, Thanksgiving sailing. Thanks for asking !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Actually this photo is not the Priority Drop off. The Priority Drop off is till further along., One has to remember from past experience if self-driving to port. Another 'fly in the ointment', we were just emailed a day before that the Equinox will leave Port Everglades from Terminal 25 and return to Port Everglades to Terminal 29, a mile away. A shuttle bus is to be provided to transport those of us that self-drove to the parking garage. Arriving to the port this morning I took a 'dry run' from the port entrance to Terminal 29 (Of course there was no signage indicating which direction was Terminal 29, but I anticipated and made a map).

The second photo has signage and lines forming at the terminal front doors at 10:15 am.

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

Edited by morpheusofthesea

22 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

It is very difficult for Yours Truly to get into cruising until we know we pass a covid test together. DW always threatens to leave me behind (at home) if I don't get a negative result. (I know deep down she really means it). It is pouring rain at this moment as we pack (I'm taking a break. Besides how much can one fit in an under-the-seat duffle?) . I just hope our cabin has a nice overhang over a deep balcony. Booked this cabin sight unseen, going only on past reviews, this way I only have someone else to blame. Plan on taking photos and posting ("best laid schemes of mice and me"). Another 'scheme' of mine is attempting to 'pace' myself at  Cafe Al Bacio and following up with our after show raid at the dessert buffet. This cruise I intend to observe the differences one may expect from the ultra luxury lines (from what we are being 'sold') to what Celebrity Retreat actually provides in their attempt to attract  this niche market, aside from caviar on demand. I just may fail miserably. But I will give it the 'old college try'.

So happy to see your post. Love your reviews!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

First things first. In order to 'properly' get into the mood this morning of our departure (and waking  and limbering up before I lift DW 8 suitcases into the car), we (I) ceremoniously put National Lampoon's "Holiday Road" on loud continuous loop. It stimulates my 'happy dance' and has become a ritual before every cruise. Now that one has some picture....and (hint) we drive the 30 minutes and park at Terminal 25 Port Everglades. Celebrity Equinox, November 19, Thanksgiving sailing. Thanks for asking !

Does your DW really bring 8 suitcases for a cruise?

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Does your DW really bring 8 suitcases for a cruise?

Yes. For a 7 day cruise, since this is a nine day  she stuffed in one more 'small' one. (9) at the last minute. I knew the moment I got in the packed car and couldn't see out my rearview mirror something was different.( So I counted )

5 hours ago, hasentreelake said:

Please tell us how many passengers aboard.
Also if the retreat is 100% or near 100% occupied.

From what our waitress in Luminae said this evening there were 1600 passengers. The cruise director this evening said a more specific 14?? Americans ,1?? Canadians of which she is, 39 Germans, 1 Belgian. So somewhere in the vicinity of 1600 ? (Though I am sure I overheard Spanish on board, but that is just our second language today , no cierto? (and my Spanish teacher swore I wasn't listening.)  Of course the Retreat is booked, but dinner first evening early wasn't crowded. Only show tonight is 9:30 pm comedian. Don't ask, I am only a cruise critic...

• Thanks 1

Well this evening after dinner and before the show we stopped by our favorite place (everyones' favorite place, Cafe Al Bacio) and it seemed like an eternity that we stood in front of the glass case in which were a dozen or so tasty treats. No one else was around and  we wanted to make the 'right' choices and read every description. I suppose "I" was taking too much time to decide, because the waitress behind the glass case began to serenade me with her rendition of "Its Now or Never".

I shall settle down tomorrow morning after breakfast to begin my observations in earnest. Presently I'm still too giddy being back on board a really good cruise ship.

• Like 1

Preparing our balcony lounge chairs for my after breakfast retreat.  It is a beautiful morning after a rain soaked send off. A Princess vessel set sail just before us with it tooting out its "Love Boat" chorus, brought tears of joy to DW, standing out on this balcony watching her caste off ( the ship, not DW).

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

• Like 3

Caught on interesting article this past Sept 23, 2021 in Seatrade Cruise News interview with luxury senior executive D.W. who clarifies what exactly is the luxury cruise market. "Luxury means different things to different people depending on their expectations. Expectations are based on previous experiences and lifestyles. "

Well, had DW not experienced suite class for 50 years she would probably have been just as content cruising in smaller cabins with less luggage. Today a walk-in shower is imperative and I am not immune to the experience either. I have found that I enjoy immensely having a balcony large enough to accommodate a lounge chair (preferably  cushioned for the long hours) with ample overhang from the Caribbean sun.

We have found the food and attentive service to be extraordinary in the Luminae on board both Edge and Equinox. We have not ventured out from this venue , Luminae. This suite category combines complimentary specialty dining all the time on board, but we have not desired to do so. I guess 50 years of MDR and midnight buffets have taken their toll and we leave the specialty dining venues to the new generation of avid cruisers to enjoy.

29 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Caught on interesting article this past Sept 23, 2021 in Seatrade Cruise News interview with luxury senior executive D.W. who clarifies what exactly is the luxury cruise market. "Luxury means different things to different people depending on their expectations. Expectations are based on previous experiences and lifestyles. "

Well, had DW not experienced suite class for 50 years she would probably have been just as content cruising in smaller cabins with less luggage. Today a walk-in shower is imperative and I am not immune to the experience either. I have found that I enjoy immensely having a balcony large enough to accommodate a lounge chair (preferably  cushioned for the long hours) with ample overhang from the Caribbean sun.

We have found the food and attentive service to be extraordinary in the Luminae on board both Edge and Equinox. We have not ventured out from this venue , Luminae. This suite category combines complimentary specialty dining all the time on board, but we have not desired to do so. I guess 50 years of MDR and midnight buffets have taken their toll and we leave the specialty dining venues to the new generation of avid cruisers to enjoy.

Agree that Luminae is spectacular, never once had a disappointing meal there the one and so far only time I’ve been on board.  Way down the road we will again be on the Edge, for a couple of the legs will be in an upper suite, specialty dining included.  Other than Eden for dinner we probably won’t partake.  See a lot of in room dining in our future though.  I hope you continue to enjoy that lovely suite and awesome balcony!

• Like 1

Photos of hers and hers closets. Mine is that 'neatly' positioned duffle in the last photo on the floor beneath the window.

Returning to the article. " The big thing is service. The guest never wants to wait; instant gratification is demanded. There should be simplicity (no annoyances) and peace of mind. Attention to detail, highly personalized and anticipatory service are musts."

Well, I suppose that at this moment one may be reflecting on one's last cruise experience. The problem is most of us don't know we were entitled to such luxuries until we read or were told about the service someone else received. (It must be in the fine print somewhere ? It doesn't much matter if the fine print keeps getting smaller and smaller I can not read it any longer anyway.)

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Photos of hers and hers closets. Mine is that 'neatly' positioned duffle in the last photo on the floor beneath the window.

Returning to the article. " The big thing is service. The guest never wants to wait; instant gratification is demanded. There should be simplicity (no annoyances) and peace of mind. Attention to detail, highly personalized and anticipatory service are musts."

Well, I suppose that at this moment one may be reflecting on one's last cruise experience. The problem is most of us don't know we were entitled to such luxuries until we read or were told about the service someone else received. (It must be in the fine print somewhere ? It doesn't much matter if the fine print keeps getting smaller and smaller I can not read it any longer anyway.)

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

That one suitcase sitting on the left of the sofa, would be MORE than I would need for a 2 week cruise.  Now to the gym for you, keep those back muscles strong and flexible.  

• Like 1

I realize that what constitutes the luxury niche of cruising is only 5% of the overall of cruising, but it is what the 'ship within a ship' concept is trying to carve out for itself. D.W.'s list of characteristics of the luxury niche include "relatively small but spacious ships with high space ratio (whatever that means); all suite mostly balcony accommodations (now this we all can agree on, though how big a cabin and balcony is still relative), large bathrooms (2 sinks are nice and walk in shower rather than climbing in and out of a combo), elevated designs (another amorphous industry term ?), a high crew to guest ratio ( adding a Host/butler to the mix), and selection of food and beverage options and 24 hour room service."

Although the relatively small ships cater to a more exclusive adult only crowd looking for more 'out of the way' destinations, they have no means of grand theatrical entertainment that the mega 'ship within a ship' lines can provide. Trade offs.

We notice that the Equinox is 'busier' this week on board. The pool is more crowded than past months, though still plenty of lounge chairs available all over the ship. (Let us 'cross all our fingers' but it 'feels' like cruising is back to almost normal on board Equinox.

The size of this cabin is in my judgement the equivalent to 3 Celebrity Suites. Totally decadent ( we have it booked for next year on the Reflection). "Best laid schemes" again. This suite reminds me of "Dr. Zhivago."

"Inclusive pricing also characterizes luxury. Inclusivity provides convenience-not having to sign checks for every purchase. Including drinks creates a better social environment, though luxury lines typically also offer a connoisseur's list of special, EXTRTA-CHARGE vintages and brands."

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

• Like 2

When studying the luxury cruise market one will run into a new 'catch-phrase' called "curated". This new term is used to describe what the luxury cruiser is searching for, an experience expertly over-sighted and organized by professionals. (Sounds more like "Pre-owned "instead of 'used'). For years we have all been swayed by the 'flashy' 'colored' brochures of exotic far away places, only to find when we get there the inhabitants are hungering to be where we live and come from. We love the cruise ship as the destination, the cabin, the crew, the decor, the service, the sea...yes the sea itself !

• Like 2