Compare P&O to Holland America

Hflors

I am thinking of taking a world cruise in 2023 on Arcadia.  I have cruised Holland America for the last 20 years.  Can anyone who has cruised both tell me the differences?  Is there anything I should be aware of that might put me off to cruising on a different line?  I will be cruising solo.  Any comments and tips would be helpful.  

Thanks in advance     Helen

My experience albeit limited as we have only taken one HAL cruise and loads with P&O. We  only cruised HAL because we got a late deal, IMHO HAL is a  superior cruise line to P&O but this is reflected in the price. I would try a shorter cruise with P&O to see if they meet your needs before committing to a worldie. 

• Like 1

I've yet to sail with HAL but it is on my wishlist.

There will be some fairly fundamental differences. Obviously, the on-board currency is GBP, but drinks etc will be much cheaper than those on HAL. Overall of course though, unless you can get a decent fare in USD, it may be quite an expensive initial outlay.

I think there is a real chance that you could find less choice and lower quality of food in all the main/complimentary dining venues. P&O at present caters to a traditional British palate, although I have not had the fortune to do a World Cruise so not sure if they up their game on those.

Entertainment will be very much geared to the British audience. There is usually a small Australian contingent aboard for the Worldies but generally, P&O is overwhelmingly British.

In terms of the ship, I see you have sailed on Zuiderdam which, like Arcadia is a Fincantieri Vista Class build, so you will find it a very similar layout with different decor. Generally, pax either love or hate Arcadia.

In some ways it is difficult to know what sort of cruise experience P&O will be providing in just over a year. Some of us long-term P&O pax feel that the overall quality of the product is in decline at the moment. Additionally, the style is very much in the process of change with the introduction of the two new 5200+ pax ships Iona & Arvia. These are undoubtedly attracting a younger and more casual demographic. It is yet to be seen how or indeed if this will impact on the rest of the fleet.

Final thing in the mix is the Covid Pandemic and whether this will further impact on the P&O fleet with respect as to whether there will be any further ship disposals. Aurora is the eldest ship in the fleet and then Arcadia.

Personally, I would be reluctant to commit to a Worldie on a line I had not used before as it is a massive financial commitment.

I'm not sure any of the above will be particularly helpful but hopefully it will be food for thought.

Good luck with your choice.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

From a practical point of view,  I doubt that there will be any single cabins left for a '23 cruise. 

Of course,  if you are planning on a double cabin with single occupancy,  ignore me ! 

Not sure I'd want one of Arcadia's single cabins for a full World cruise - being very forward on one of the highest decks...

17 hours ago, Britboys said:

Not sure I'd want one of Arcadia's single cabins for a full World cruise - being very forward on one of the highest decks...

These are the cabins we usually choose , and have done for the 24 worldie ,not to everyone's taste but from a personal point of view always enjoyed the location, both inside and balcony. As for Hal we are with them in April for our first time with them and looking forward to seeing how they compare 

39 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

These are the cabins we usually choose , and have done for the 24 worldie ,not to everyone's taste but from a personal point of view always enjoyed the location, both inside and balcony. As for Hal we are with them in April for our first time with them and looking forward to seeing how they compare 

I wouldn't mind having an inside up there for two or three weeks but wouldn't fancy it for nearly 100 nights. I would have thought the balconies could be quite windy depending on the direction of travel.

One of the main plusses is the fact that nothing is above us ,we have in the past had to put up with the dreaded early morning bed brigade rearranging sunbeds, not overly bothered about a bit of wind blowing as living on the Yorkshire coast is something you become accustomed too .especially this last  weekend 🥶