CVS/Walgreens tests - OK if they do while you are in the car?

tbmrt

1 minute ago, tbmrt said:

I was surprised to read our local Covid tests are done at Walgreens while you are in the car.  Is that acceptable to RC?  

We had our done at CVS in October.  CVS advised us to stay in the car OUTSIDE the store.  Their people came out to meet us then instructed how to collect sample and return home.  The result came back out 2 hours later with a text msg and email.  We printed the result to bring to the pier.

We will have another cruise in December and again already scheduled for another Antigen test at CVS.

Drug store Covid tests have been done at the drive up window since day one of the first test. The reason being is that they don't want anyone who may actually have covid coming into the store and spreading it to employees and other customers.  The main criteria for the test is that it is witnessed by someone which is why the over the counter rapid tests are not acceptable. The tech at the drive up window is your witness.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tbmrt said:

I was surprised to read our local Covid tests are done at Walgreens while you are in the car.  Is that acceptable to RC?  

Why not? It is supervised.

You do the test in your car at the drive thru window.  The tech hands out a test swap in an unopened envelope.   If this is your first time the tech would give you brief instruction on how to do the nostril swaps.  After you have done that, you put the swap stick back inside the envelop and hand it back in a little box thru the window.  Then you are done. 

The test result will be texted to you, and an email with a link to get a pdf file of the result - this can come as soon as 30 min or a few hours later.  The analysis of samples are done on site therefore it depends on when the qualified personnel performs the analysis, and therefore the availability of the test result.  I did my test for a trip that transit Canada back in October.  (no need to but Air Canada site insisted I had to so I went to Walgreens a day before flying).  The result came back at 1hr 8 min.  I read about some got theirs within 40 min.

Walgreens in Broward County has appointment schedule opens 7 days in advance at midnight.  No idea of other parts of the country.  There are tons of Walgreens many of them are not busy on this, so you could even do a walk up (drive to the window) without appointment.  Walgreens does NOT offer same day appointment.  I read some people pulling their hairs out trying to get a same day appointment...  You just need to figure out which locations are less busy (by way of making an appointment the next day - the available slots should tell you how busy a particular location would be) and then drive to your option 1, 2 ,3 for the same day test.  I would bet by Opt 2 you would succeed getting your same day test.

Had no trouble doing it in our car at Walgreens a month ago.  Port Canaveral let us onboard Indy with no problems since we had a negative test result.  Booked our appointment on Tuesday for a Saturday appointment.  Boarded the ship on Monday.  Easy peasy.