The Galapagos are a magical place; is the Xpedition just as magical?

StartrainDD

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

we are sailing the Xpedition in January 2022, we can't wait. I really enjoyed your trip report. I do have a couple of questions, 1. Is there sunscreen provided? as I am sure it has to be ecofriendly, if so do you recall the name? 2. how bad was the motion aboard the ship, should we bring motion sickness meds? 

Thanks in advance for your answers

Chris

Hi Chris!

They do provide a tube of sunscreen.  It is 50 SPF.  Kuno is the brand.  We used it when we were going snorkeling, but otherwise used the 70 SPF we brought along.  Even if there are clouds you will get lots of sun!  I burn very quickly and was pleased that I managed to avoid a burn, although I did have a few evenings that my ears and neck felt a bit warm.

Motion aboard?  I found it really didn't bother us.  We didn't have any really rough seas, I think about 1.5 meters was the largest while we were there.  We always bring some patches after an experience in 2009 where we shared the gulf of Mexico with a hurricane, but I don't believe we ever really needed them although I've used them a few times when the captain would caution about rough seas ahead.  So to answer your question, it's likely a good idea to bring some.  Only you know how sensitive you are; we slept really well.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for the review.   Just wondering what type of cabin did you have and how was the cabin?  Also, on those rocky climbs, did their crew help people or were walking sticks provided.  We are going in May with 2 other couples.   

2 hours ago, llund said:

Thank you so much for the review.   Just wondering what type of cabin did you have and how was the cabin?  Also, on those rocky climbs, did their crew help people or were walking sticks provided.  We are going in May with 2 other couples.   

Hello!

We had the outside cabin on deck 4.  The cabin was delightful and when friends saw photos of the cabin they all said "What a nice cabin."  I've attached a photo.

Rocky climbs?  Walking sticks are provided.  However, many folks brought their own collapsible sticks.  We had ones that doubled as "Monopods" for our cameras that we bought a few years back on Amazon.  This really helped steady the camera for the zoom shots (and yes, you will take zoom photos) and videos.  The naturalists are happy to assist with navigating over the rocks with a steady hand.

PB201573 Stitch.jpg

Thank you.  Cabins look great.  we are on deck 5.   I will need to look at the monopods.  What type of camera did you bring?  I am really looking forward to this trip and also going on to Machu Pichua with Celebrity.  We booked it back in 2019 for 2021 and now finally (fingers crossed) doing it in 2022.    

• 1 year later...

If you aren’t planning to snorkel, do you need a wet suit for anything?  In other words do you get wet on the zodiac or going on any of the islands?  Or can you wear normal clothes and be fine.  Is the trip still enjoyable if you don’t snorkel?? 

5 minutes ago, jmmancini said:

If you aren’t planning to snorkel, do you need a wet suit for anything?  In other words do you get wet on the zodiac or going on any of the islands?  Or can you wear normal clothes and be fine.  Is the trip still enjoyable if you don’t snorkel?? 

You only need the wetsuit for snorkeling. 

On 2/2/2022 at 7:26 AM, sippican said:

The Galapagos are indeed magical!

We loved Xpedition so much, that we recently sailed on her for the second time.  (You can't beat a ship designed for 100 passengers, with only 48 allowed onboard).

Us too,  we did the southern loop last year and we are looking at the northern loop on the Expedition. 

Having just the 48 passengers when the ship was built for 100 is really really nice.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jmmancini said:

If not snorkeling no wetsuit required. you might get a bit sprayed but nothing crazy. they also offer walking/hiking tours as an alternative on some of  the islands. Its a nice mixture of both activities.