Travel insurance and pre-existing conditions

Usually to cover pre existing medical conditions there is normally a 120 day requirement to cover pre existing conditions. So, yea. For last minute booking, insurance will normally not cover pre existing conditions. At least the insurance I usually purchase.

Edited by binro01
  • Thanks 1

You'll have to read fine print. I've purchased it for last minute cruises but you have to purchase it really soon after. There's dozens of options and each one varies.

BTW you probably would do better if you kept it all in one thread. A lot see similar titles with the same author and don't look at them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smplybcause said:

You'll have to read fine print. I've purchased it for last minute cruises but you have to purchase it really soon after. There's dozens of options and each one varies.

BTW you probably would do better if you kept it all in one thread. A lot see similar titles with the same author and don't look at them. 

Thank you. I wasn't sure if I should have done that or not since the questions are different.  Will keep that in mind for next time. 🙂

i use insuremytrip to compare plans. The prexisting condition waiver all have a "look back" period - if you have a condition but have not had a problem during that period. Must buy it within a certain time of first payment on some. Compare the plans online then call their number and talk to someone about your quesions.

Edited by JuliaMS
  • Thanks 1

Call Steve or one of his associates at The Trip Insurance Store. He's often a guest contributor here on CC and knows his stuff when it come to travel insurance. Always best to speak to a professional directly about your individual needs.

(888) 407-3854

• Thanks 2

Most of my trip insurance that I purchase says you have to buy it within “x” days of initial payment, I think it’s 14? So I booked a cruise for next May, I bought the trip insurance that day.....my friend going with me (with no conditions) waits much longer....

• Thanks 1

There are a number of plans that cover pre-existing conditions at final payment. You can find them by using the filters in the search feature at insuremytrip or squaremouth. For questions about coverage or guidance in purchasing a policy, call a broker like Steve Dasseos at tripinsurancestore. His website allows you to compare plans. More importantly, he sells only policies with good service records, and he can help you with the claims process if needed.

Buying a policy with a pre-existing condition waiver exempts you from the look back period, which is the number of days the company will look back in your medical records to see if your cancellation was caused by a condition that already existed.  Without the waiver, you would be denied coverage if you had sought treatment, been diagnosed or changed medication during that period, usually 60 days but sometimes longer. 

In order to qualify for the pre-existing condition waiver, you must purchase by the defined time line, be able to travel, and usually you must insure all non-refundable expenses.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

By an annual insurance policy, and you are covered for every trip over 100 miles away

We're going to go with GeoBlue with a start date of Jan 2022. We have 7 trips (cruises) booked and insuring them individually at our age is getting way too expensive.

Just be aware that annual medical plans provide little if any trip cancellation, interruption, or delay coverage. Those features may be of interest to anyone concerned about a positive Covid test if you are traveling after the Cruise with Confidence and  the Covid Assistance programs expire.

Allianz offers up to $15,000 for an additional premium, but that could be consumed in a single claim, leaving the rest of the policy period with no coverage.

Some people pair an annual medical plan with credit card travel protection benefits, but that will not work if you have a pre-existing condition. Credit card plans do not cover pre-existing conditions.

Edited by Babr
  • Thanks 1