Royal vs Carnival - Help

CallieS

Hi everyone! I'm new to the RCCL boards, so please be patient. I've been on two Carnival cruises in the past two years to the Western Carribbean. Needless to say, I'm hooked on cruising. So now it's time to plan our next cruise (Eastern this time). I'd like to know if anyone has sailed on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean and why RCCL is better. I greatly enjoyed Carnival, but wouldn't want to miss out on something even better...if it exists. My main two concerns are the food and average age of the passengers (I'm 26, and I hear some other cruise lines are more for the senior citizens). I imagine most other amenities are very similar. Please share your thoughts and insights. Thanks!!!

As you can see from my signature below, I have been on both Carnival and RCCL several times. I prefer RCCL. But I am married and 36 years old.

Carnival is more glitz and glamour. They are of course the fun ship and they do live up to that name. You will not find people partying into the wee hours on RCCL. Average age for passengers is about the same though. RCCL is a little more service oriented and subdued. They do not sing and dance on the tables in the dining room for example.

One of my friends who is 30 just came back from her first RCCL cruise and said she prefered Carnival. The staff is a little "crazier" and more fun perhaps. For me it boils down to whether or not you like to "party like a rock star" or prefer a more relaxed, laid back vacation. Hope that helps.

I've cruised twice on Carnival Destiny in '01 and '02 and just got off RCI's Serenade of the Seas.

There was alot more of a party atmosphere on Carnival, but the cleanliness and quality of service on The Serenade blew the Destiny clear out of the water. The Serenade was SPOTLESS. I saw bugs and spider webs on the Destiny and just figured that was normal for a ship at sea. Not true.

Every cruise is indeed a "great cruise"! I too have sailed Carnival (frequently) and RCCL (also frequently). I had great experiences on both cruiselines, but I too prefer RCCL. I am nearly 50 though. I did find Carnival to be more "FUN" and I like their food a little bit more, but I like the overall experience on RCCL much better. I find the ships to be beautiful and the service is a bit more attentive. I think the Voyager-class ships are just as fun, if not more, than Carnival. Definitely give RCCL a try. :D

You didn't mention which RCL ship you are considering. It would be helpful to compare,if we knew what ships we're comparing.

I've done both lines,you can check my signature for which ships. I like both lines,and find them fairly close in comparison. The food on both is pretty much the same. Plentiful and usually good. But, it seems that both lines are cutting corners for quality,where the food is concerned. If you enjoy Carnival's food,you will enjoy RCL as well. Although Carnival's pumpkin soup is spectacular,and one of my all time favorites.

The shows and ammenities on both are again,pretty equal,on most of the ships. The big exception being RCL's Voyager class of ships. Carnival has nothing that comes close to this class of ship. They are amazing,and have more things to see and do. So if you're thinking of sailing this class of ship,by all means go for it.

Don't worry about an older crowd on RCL. Their ships carry a mixture of all ages,including kids,just as much as Carnival does.

To me the biggest difference between the two lines are the size of the cabins,and the beds.

Carnival wins the overall size for cabins,hands down. RCL's are more compact,BUT they do utilize the space well,and give you lots of storage areas. The beds on RCL,what can I say,they're not great. The first time I was on a cruise,and it was Carnival,my first thought was,uck what a horribly hard uncomfortable mattress. They're just a mattress on a hard slab. No innersprings at all. But then,both Carnival and RCL had the same type of beds. Now, Carnival has upgraded to their new bedding,and it is fantastic. Unfortunately, RCL has yet to get on the bandwagon with this feature. I hear the Freedom of the Seas,will have new beds tho,when it comes out in June. Hopefully RCL will decide to upgrade all their ships with new beds. Whatever you decide,a cruise is still the best vacation anywhere. :)

We have sailed both lines and overall there is not much difference. The food has ALWAYS been better on Carnival and most of the time the service has been better. The Royal Carrib. ships are a little nicer ( not as much glitz) You will find party crowds on both lines. The longer the cruise, the less "party crowd" you will have. The short cruises (3-5) days are always a party crowd. The 7 day + is usually a little older and not so much a party crowd. I have not problem sailing either line at any time.

Doug

Carnival is horrible. First of all, there is no air conditioning or swimming pools on Carnival. Its true they do have a more party atmosphere but its mostly drunks and hookers, which grows old after the first few days, unless you're into that sort of thing.

Royal Carribean on the otherhand has nice cabins but you aren't allowed up into the nice areas unless you've paid for a suite or above. Otherwise you have to stay below deck. Dinners on royal carribean are mostly fried chicken.

If I were you I'd stay far away from either cruise line. You'd have a better time just staying home for the week and watching Love Boat reruns on Nick at Nite.

Good luck.

Hi everyone! I'm new to the RCCL boards, so please be patient. I've been on two Carnival cruises in the past two years to the Western Carribbean. Needless to say, I'm hooked on cruising. So now it's time to plan our next cruise (Eastern this time). I'd like to know if anyone has sailed on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean and why RCCL is better. I greatly enjoyed Carnival, but wouldn't want to miss out on something even better...if it exists. My main two concerns are the food and average age of the passengers (I'm 26, and I hear some other cruise lines are more for the senior citizens). I imagine most other amenities are very similar. Please share your thoughts and insights. Thanks!!!
Callie, look right on this page, about half a page down, and you will see this very topic being discussed - it's on its fourth page of responses.

We have sailed both lines - RCCL the most. Carnival twice (both new ships at the time and we are about to sail on the Liberty in a couple of wks., but only because it goes to Tortola and we want to do the Baths at Virgin Gorda), plus this cruise is 8 days long. We never met a cruise w/didn't like. We've sailed about 20 times and hope to sail lots more. We are in our mid 50's (but I still think most cruises have too many music venues that are old fashioned. I'd like to see more hip hop and salsa music!). We have taken our kids and sailed by ourselves and w/others, just to give you some background. I'd have to agree w/GranysT wholeheartedly. A lot depends upon the class of ship. Personally, I usually think Carnival ships look like Joe Farcus has thrown up his dinner. RCCL's decor is a bit classier and more tasteful, and often more light comes into the public rooms opening the view up to the ocean. Don't get me wrong! I do love bright colors and so forth. ANY pretty colors. But over the top and "scrambled" still applies to Carnival in my opinion. I realize everyone's taste is different, though. One thing my whole family thinks, however, is that RCCL has the most fun crowd! It has been that way on all of our sailings. (But Carnival does have the BEST Cruise Director: John Heard. If you lucky enough to sail w/him, he does make for a FUN host!) Most RCCL ships seem to have more to do, esp. the Voyager class ships. Both lines do mostly about the same stuff, though. Really! There isn't a whole lot of difference. Carnival's kids' and teen activities always were less well organized than our experiences on RCCL. Esp. on the Carnival Pride and the Destiny when they were in their first yr. of sailing. Carnival's pizza is way better than RCCL's. We love the Solariums on RCCL. And I prefer RCCL's cabins simply because they are prettier and less dorm like, AND they have so many nooks and crannies to stash stuff! (I like to store my shoes on top of the mirror and shelves! Great place to get them out of the way.) Entertainment and shows - again in our experience - have generally been more professional and better on RCCL and sometimes we have had a known entertainer on board. Up until a few yrs. ago, RCCL's food was better. It is their worst point now, except Johnny Rockets and similar cafe's on some of their ships, which is a good addition. I agree that both lines (ALL lines) have been cutting corners in recent yrs. and you aren't pampered quite as much anymore as was once the case. I've felt for about 3 yrs. that RCCL has been raising their prices though to the point where they are edging out some of their customers. Guess they aren't hurting though and the market is bearing the charge. RE: fun, dancing and singing waiters, we were on Princess last yr. and they do not have them (GREAT fettucini, though!). But RCCL did still do that as of 2 yrs. ago. So many repeat cruisers are tired of that stuff, but I always like it - esp. when we have newbies w/us! Carnival's service has improved a lot the past few yrs. as well. I like towel animals as well. Hate Carnival's pools compared to RCCL's, too. Want to mention that Princess is also a very nice line and we have also had some very good cruises on NCL. Like I said, we never met a cruise we didn't like! ;)

Carnival is horrible. First of all, there is no air conditioning or swimming pools on Carnival. Its true they do have a more party atmosphere but its mostly drunks and hookers, which grows old after the first few days, unless you're into that sort of thing.

Royal Carribean on the otherhand has nice cabins but you aren't allowed up into the nice areas unless you've paid for a suite or above. Otherwise you have to stay below deck. Dinners on royal carribean are mostly fried chicken.

If I were you I'd stay far away from either cruise line. You'd have a better time just staying home for the week and watching Love Boat reruns on Nick at Nite.

Good luck.

It's obvious that you have nothing to contribute to this question so I am sure you will be the one staying home since you see nothing good about either line.

A couple more things to address your post - the avg. age of passengers is lower on shorter cruises. And during some seasons and holidays there are younger passengers than at other times. Also, most people seem to fall in love w/cruising on their first cruise and you will never be able to repeat that experience. Also, you expect things to be done in the Carnival way, so you will do a lot of comparison and it may take you a while to get used to another way. But I'd say, for your age, one of the Voyager class ships in the summer (vacation mos.) or during holiday periods would be great. Spring break would have a good crowd of every age, but mostly h.s. or younger kids w/their families. Many people your age at that time might be honeymooners w/a few past college aged people. There will always be SOME people your age, though, unless you choose a 10 day or 2 wk. cruise. Different ships w/different ammenties and different capts. can vary w/in any line. I think you should try a RCCL Voyager class ship. LOTS to do!

It's obvious that you have nothing to contribute to this question so I am sure you will be the one staying home since you see nothing good about either line.

Sorry I was trying to contribute some HUMOR. I suppose I shouldn't have. This is afterall deadly serious message board. I am truly sorry for what I've done.

;)

Archived