Water for Infant Formula

FrostyJoe

On 12/9/2021 at 10:56 AM, Homosassa said:

Suggestion: Put the powdered formula in a baby bottle. Fill the bottle with the hot water from the hot water dispensers in the buffet.

Besides the water on board ship being water that is purer than any bottled water, you will have the added protection of near boiling water temperature for added protection.

Absolutely false. the water on the ship is fine, but no where near the standards of bottles distilled, PDW or spring water. I am in the industry and am offended and will challenge that statement. You need to get your facts correct before making false statements.

9 minutes ago, mvh said:

Absolutely false. the water on the ship is fine, but no where near the standards of bottles distilled, PDW or spring water. I am in the industry and am offended and will challenge that statement. You need to get your facts correct before making false statements.

Here are the standards that I  use for bottled drinking water:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-21/chapter-I/subchapter-B/part-129

Besides being very late to the party, there is a  good chance that not only did I inspect whatever bottling plant you may be associated with, I also probably reviewed the QA lab results.

Did you have any idea of the process of how water is treated on board a ship?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mvh said:

oh, brother... Let's not offer any data, let's just say "I am in the industry and offended".  I doubt neither is true, however, facts matter.. here is some light reading for those who choose to be educated;  

https://www.marineinsight.com/tech/how-do-cruise-ships-get-fresh-water/

https://sensorex.com/cruise-ships-desalinated-water/

https://sustainability-success.com/distilled-water-vs-tap-water/

Edited by odyssyus
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, odyssyus said:

oh, brother... Let's not offer any data, let's just say "I am in the industry and offended".  I doubt neither is true, however, facts matter.. here is some light reading for those who choose to be educated;  

https://www.marineinsight.com/tech/how-do-cruise-ships-get-fresh-water/

https://sensorex.com/cruise-ships-desalinated-water/

https://sustainability-success.com/distilled-water-vs-tap-water/

LOL - Let's just put the industry poster in the category of those posters who try to correct the retired ship's engineer that posts information on ships' mechanical operations or the retired Princess cruise ship captain that sometimes posts on cruise ship operations or the retired public health person who started inspecting following the APHA guidelines for water quality and the subsequent codified regulations.

Funny how a snarky poster can bring up memories:

I started thinking about my courses taught by Dr. Natale Colosi, long time chairman of the Interstate Sanitation Commission (NY/NJ/CT) and his lectures on water quality in the region.

I really  would like to learn more about mvh's training and background in water quality control and plant operation.  It could be interesting....

On 8/23/2023 at 6:16 AM, darkhorizon said:

Can we carry bottled water to MSC Seascape for infant formula?

I emailed MSC to ask and got this response 2.5 months later:

Good Morning,

We will need you to fill out a special needs form

Thank you for choosing to sail with MSC Cruises. We are excited to have you on board and want to ensure that your cruise experience is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. In order to better accommodate your needs, we kindly request that you fill out a separate Special Needs form for each reservation.

To access the Special Needs form, please follow these steps:

Go to www.MSCCruisesUSA.com

Scroll down to the very bottom of the page

Click on "Special Needs"

In the section labeled "Informing us on any mobility, medical, and dietary requirements," click on the "plus" sign.

A window will open, displaying the words "online" in orange writing. Click on it to proceed with the form.

Complete the necessary information in the form as accurately as possible.

At the end of the online application, please remember to click the green "submit" button located at the bottom of the e-form. This step is crucial to ensure that we receive your form.

Please be aware that we do not accept form submissions via copy/screenshot. To successfully register your special needs with us, you must click the "submit" button as indicated above.

Should you have any questions or require assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to our customer support team at the contact center 1 (877) 665-4655

We genuinely value your well-being and strive to provide the best possible service for all our guests. Your completion of the Special Needs form for each reservation will help us better prepare for your cruise and ensure a fantastic experience onboard.

Once again, thank you for choosing MSC Cruises. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon!

Kind Regards,

Dana Hamrick

MSC Cruises (USA) Inc.

6750 North Andrews Avenue, Suite 100

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309

1-877-665-4655

22 hours ago, odyssyus said:

Its a miracle how we all survived pre bottled water and having to drink from the hose....

Long gone are the fun days of summer where we ran through the water hose on a hot summer day then drank right from the hose! I forgot all about drinking from the water hose and never thinking twice about it! 

Many years ago, as head nurse in an OB clinic, I taught prenatal classes.  In a rural town in GA.  Our advice at the time was if you had a dishwasher, you did not need to sterilize bottles.  If you were on the city water system, you did not need to boil water to mix formula.  If you had a well, you could take a sample to the health dept for testing.  Now, just think for a moment.  Once your baby is throwing his pacifier or teething toy, on any toy onto the floor…everything you give the baby to play with goes into the mouth at some point.  If you pick up that item and hand it back to him…it isn’t sterile.  If you first rinse it off with water from the faucet…that isn’t sterile, and hand it back to him…it is still going into the mouth.  Once your baby is crawling around on the floor…and putting hands, even feet, into mouth…what is the point of sterile water for formula.  
  Now, I do realize that pediatricians in the UK seem to have stricter instructions as to formula, baby foods, etc.  Maybe conditions in the UK are different.  

While the ship does make fresh water on board, most cruise lines also "Top off the tanks" at ports of call on occasion and not every port. 

If you see a blue hose running into the ship's side, they are taking on fresh water. It could be for potable use or for non-potable use can't tell by the hose. So you don't actually know where the water has come from.

Now the famous cruise ship comedian question: 

Is there salt water in the toilet? Asking for a friend.

Edited by Brighton Line

Essiesmom, LOL at your post about sterilizing everything for a baby that goes in their mouth.

Someone once expressed surprise that I did not sterilize everything for my daughter: "You are a microbiologist, work for the FDA and have done work in sterilization of products under FDA jurisdiction, and you don't sterilize anything?"

Answer: "She has been chewing on her father's shoe that he left on the floor. No, there is no need for me to boil water and sterilize equipment."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2