Connecting rooms...what exactly does that mean?

Reading about those who have had their rooms changed made me do a quick check to see if our room had been changed.  It has not, but I noted a little + sign next to the room and had not seen that before so looked to see what that means and it is a connecting room.  Can anyone tell me what that means?  Is there a door between us and the next room? 

25 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Reading about those who have had their rooms changed made me do a quick check to see if our room had been changed.  It has not, but I noted a little + sign next to the room and had not seen that before so looked to see what that means and it is a connecting room.  Can anyone tell me what that means?  Is there a door between us and the next room? 

That's exactly what it means.  Depending on the location of that door you may be listening to your neighbors all cruise.  Hope the door is just as you enter, which would mean you lose one of the closets but at least it should be quiet.  If the door is in the sleeping area, that could be a problem - and I don't think there's any way to know ahead of time, so I make sure to never book a connecting stateroom (won't do a guarantee either, for the same reason).

Sue/WDW1972

Oh that stinks!  We had no idea that was a connecting room.  Our friends and us booked at the same time.  It could not be booked with HAL directly, it was through someone else and booking at the same time with friends and the agent said she would put us in rooms next to each other which sounded fine...but connecting...I think that is really going to be awkward..........

Actually, there are two doors, in the same opening, in a connecting cabin. Each cabin has to open their own door in order for anyone to pass through the doorway. Those double doors also make the sound between the two cabins baffled. 

I have been in many connecting cabins, on several ships, over the years. The only times I have ever heard anything from the other cabin would have been heard if the cabins were not connecting. One was a HUGE argument that might have been heard in the passageway and down a few doors. The other time was not as loud, but was two people with loud voices. That happened just the once, and was daytime. We must have both been near the door, too. 

• Like 3