Struggling over family X-mas party with a Jan. 9th cruise. What would you do?

budmeister

We also cruise January 9th.  I am all for isolating just to avoid a positive test or having to quarantine on board. My husband is of the opposite mind set.  He acts like he's invincible.. I told him if he tests positive and we can't go, I'm going to be really Pi$$ed!!  I've resorted to sleeping in our spare bedroom just so he doesn't breath on me all night!   I'm not afraid of getting the virus, we're vaxxed and boosted so hope for no major symptoms if it happens. I JUST WANT TO CRUISE!!!   We had a full Christmas celebration in July, outside.  It was way more fun than winter...

• Like 1

We are skipping an extended family Christmas Eve in  small house.  We will zoom in to the party.  Can't take a chance to ruin upcoming cruise in January. Thanksgiving got cancelled when BIL came down with Covid that morning after  attending a wedding 5 days before.  The numbers of cases are going up too fast!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, newcruiser48 said:

We also cruise January 9th.  I am all for isolating just to avoid a positive test or having to quarantine on board. My husband is of the opposite mind set.  He acts like he's invincible.. I told him if he tests positive and we can't go, I'm going to be really Pi$$ed!!  I've resorted to sleeping in our spare bedroom just so he doesn't breath on me all night!   I'm not afraid of getting the virus, we're vaxxed and boosted so hope for no major symptoms if it happens. I JUST WANT TO CRUISE!!!   We had a full Christmas celebration in July, outside.  It was way more fun than winter...

I would still go! Call me, I’ll take his place if he gets sick. You can still go! 😀

24 minutes ago, Painter4me said:

I would still go! Call me, I’ll take his place if he gets sick. You can still go! 😀

I thought if someone in your stateroom tests positive prior to sailing, you can't go.  I copied this paragraph from a pdf dated 10/21.  Now if someone wanted to be dishonest and not care about others, they would be a no-show.  I couldn't do that.  

• If you report, or we identify, that you may have been exposed to or are likely to have been infected by COVID-19, we may require that you and others in your Traveling Party do not travel to the port. This is in order to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. Anyone effectively denied boarding in these circumstances will be entitled to a refund, or an optional FCC, for the cruise fare paid to RC

Edited by newcruiser48
changed wording

If my cruise was within 2 weeks of any large gathering, then no I wouldn't go. The family and friends that we are closest to are aware that we are going on a cruise and they would be understanding of our decision to not attend. We would be understanding of anyone else's decision if the situation was reversed.

We have a cruise on 1/29.  We are both vaccinated and I will have the booster right after Christmas. We do normal things like grocery shopping and going out to dinner-oh and of course work. After the New Year the plan is that we will be limiting ourselves as much as possible so that we will -hopefully-have a negative covid test and we can go on our cruise.

Good luck to you with your decision and happy cruise!

I'd curtail the party, given your investment in your upcoming cruise. 

Somewhat related, recently visited Dad in the UK to take care of his medical needs just for a week - but prior to it, I avoided a band gig (I'm a musician) the weekend before departure. I also canceled a gathering just to be safe. Even while in Scotland visiting dad, I'd see someone sneezing ahead of me, I would cross to the other side of the road.

We simply have to be very cautious, as ridiculous this might seem. The times have changed.

As for cruising - we're not cruising until we no longer have to wear masks. Just our personal preference.

15 hours ago, budmeister said:

I am struggling mightily over attending a large unmasked mostly unvaccinated family xmas party. Hubby and I are vaccinated, boostered, and go no where but work and the grocery store. The 2/3 of the family goes out all the time to crowded places, bars, karokee, parties, no masks, and most are unvaccinated. This new variant infecting even the vaccinated has me worried about coming up positive after the family xmas party. It is a drive, we stay overnight- so it cannot be a quick drop by. Family or risk the cruise? What would you do? 

I don't even want to see the answers other people have posted, because I will probably get upset, so I will give you just my opinion.

Think about what's best for your health. This is not about being rude, or unfriendly, etc.  It's TOTALLY different from that.  Go, stay at a hotel that has some conference rooms.  Schedule a wine and appetizer (NO POT LUCK) get-together in their largest venue so people can spread out, wear your masks, even if others don't, and enjoy.  It might be that the hotel requires masks to and from the venue, too, inside the building.

You can still see your family after your cruise.  The other 364 days in the year are just as good as Christmas Day.  It is what you make of the time you spend with your family that is important.  People put so much pressure on the perfect Christmas or the perfect Holiday by all the marketing we see out there which creates unnecessary stress.  You can have a wonderful gathering with family any day of the year and not just on designated holiday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1