Report from the Noordam - Maiden Voyage

RevNeal

Another comment on the Black and White Ball. On our 14 day cruise on Noordam several years ago, there were a number of dances where prizes were given out based on fun criteria.

That evening there was also one dance where ladies could ask the ship's officers to be their partner. My DH and I were sitting beside the dance floor. Somehow the Hotel Manager ended up without a partner for that dance so he turned and asked me. At the end of the dance, it turned out he was carrying the prize ticket. He presented me with a voucher for a bottle of wine and a print from the art auction folks.

Not spectacular prizes, but still fun. And it was really a lovely, elegant evening.

That;s how our Black and White Ball went - tho it was held up in the Crow's Nest

Not me. As a redhead with vey fair skin, I avoid black, since it makes me appear completely washed out. Other than shoes and belts, I don't own anything black (or, for that matter, red) - no tux, no black suits, no black ties. I guess they'll toss me out if I try to go to the ball in a dark blue suit. Joe

I doubt it Joe. I think you will be just fine. :)

The Black & White Ball is an uncommon event on a 10-day cruise. I'm thinking perhaps the only reason we had one was because of the inaugural or maybe perhaps Captain Scott just felt like dancing... who knows.

At any rate, we've only seen them on cruises over 12 days, but others might have different experiences.

I also wouldn't worry about wearing strickly black or white - it's usually a formal event, and as long as you are dressed in accordance with the dress code, I wouldn't give it a second thought. :)

I might have to beg images from others who were there.
Nah, Greg. For consistency's sake you need to get back onboard ASAP and finish your work! May should be nice. :D

Wow! This thread is approaching 30,000 views. Popular material to lots of us.

I also wouldn't worry about wearing strickly black or white - it's usually a formal event, and as long as you are dressed in accordance with the dress code, I wouldn't give it a second thought. :)

Especially considering Ruth Card was in Scarlet Red that night, and Marti looked smashing in her Pink & Black Flamenco-Dancer gown!

:D

Especially considering Ruth Card was in Scarlet Red that night, and Marti looked smashing in her Pink & Black Flamenco-Dancer gown!

:D

And, while not amazing like the women, I also broke the "black and white rule" with a blue bow tie and cummerbund ... as Brian was quick to point out before dinner. ;)

Marti WAS fabulous that night ... but, then, when was she NOT fabulous? :D

Hi All,

I've been enjoying reading all your posts. My husband and I are booked on the 3/15 Noordam.

Revneal, I really enjoyed your review. It was so well-written and insightful.

I have a question. I know the internet went out on your cruise. Were those who brought their laptops able to use the wireless connections when that happened, or were all communications out? We are trying to decide whether to drag along our laptop.

Glad you all had a great time!

Joyce

I have a question. I know the internet went out on your cruise. Were those who brought their laptops able to use the wireless connections when that happened, or were all communications out? We are trying to decide whether to drag along our laptop.

Joyce

The satellite uplink dome itself went out - so there was no phone or internet, no music downloads or certain movie channels for the entire ship.

The folks at HAL were very gracious and refunded our internet charges without any hassle whatsoever.

We dont know if the system hardware has been replaced - perhaps the folks coming off the current cruise will be able to enlighten us.

I guess we'll leave the laptop home and hope for the best that the internet works onboard.

I cannot imagine that the situation will continue. If it's not repaired already, it should be repaired before you board.

I have been trying to make my Avatar from a photo - and I dont know how - and I see many of you have them, and I read where Greg made one here - how can I do this? If I send someone a photo can you do it?

Lora

not heard from him since the ship returned, guess he;'s getting ready for his next trip on saga ruby. hope to hear from him sooon. hope you can help with getting on board the ruby when she's in bermuda. hope to meet up with you during my stay there, call me at the guest house. were there copies of your hal book onboard? have a great cruise, did everyone get good gifts on the noordam a ceramic plate of the ship? i got one from the oosterdam. anyone got any spares? guess we won't have anytyhging like that on the transatlantic?

dave

Has anyone heard from any passengers on the 3/04 sailing. Someone posted their first day out but I have not seen anything else. I guess the satellite could still be down but they have had a week to get it fixed. I am sure they are having fun but just enjoy hearing all about it. :)

Can anyone tell me how to get to Revneal's review of the maiden voyage of the Noordam? Or are there other reviews of the maiden voyage? I'm having some difficulty navigating this thread.

Thans.

Thanks Ladybird.

I've had 18 requests for the review since noon today. I suppose I should make a page on my website. I was waiting to add photos to it, but there's GREAT interest in the review.

Which brings up the issue of my photo galleries. I'm not done. It's taking MUCH longer to process photos that I thought it would. I've got about 4400 photos to sort through, and the sorted number for processing is now about 400. It's going to take a little more time.

So ... patience, please.

Archived