Can't check in online anymore, have to go through App. Is this new? App experience is awful

nattie

We are coming back to cruising and I am trying to do the registration process for upcoming January cruise. Apparently I cant do this online any longer, just in the app? App experience has been AWFUL, as app is unbelievably slow. I had blank screen twice now, where I would have to close and reopen the app with last changes not saved. 

We are elite and have 2 weeks Europe booked for summer, the January cruise is supposed to be a "tester" to see if we still like cruising and Princess. The app experience is certainly not encouraging!

We are not new to the Medallion Class either, our last 5 cruises were all on Medallion ships and I like the technology in general. But this registration process is just not at all smooth.

• Like 1

Lots of people here have had all kinds of problems with the app. I've been lucky, and it's worked reliably for me. I think the consensus is to do what you can in the app. Print out your summary and show up at the pier with the summary and all your necessary paperwork. Let them sort it out.

• Like 4

This is just very frustrating! I had to redownload the app after not updating it for almost 2 years and it imported wrong pictures. Also my expired passport is apparently A-OK to travel with, but my 12 yo could not possibly be fully vaccinated (stupid thing wouldnt save his vaccination status, just gives me an error) 🙄

I'll print all the docs and  have vaccination cards ready for sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nattie said:

This is just very frustrating! I had to redownload the app after not updating it for almost 2 years and it imported wrong pictures. Also my expired passport is apparently A-OK to travel with, but my 12 yo could not possibly be fully vaccinated (stupid thing wouldnt save his vaccination status, just gives me an error) 🙄

I'll print all the docs and  have vaccination cards ready for sure.

Having the app up-to-date will surely help.

I had a miserable time for 7 months trying to get ready for our sailing last November, but everything ended up being fine. Do what you can, and then bring everything else to the port.

(Cheers from a longtime Rockville resident, who can remember the days when neon signs were allowed on Rockville Pike)

Luckily we have been able to use the app for our February cruise which will be the first on on Princess.  We have completed three cruises in the last 3 months on two other cruise lines.  My sympathy to all who are having problems with the "wonderful" app.  If you are having problems, delete the app and reload it on you cell phone.  

57 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Having the app up-to-date will surely help.

I had a miserable time for 7 months trying to get ready for our sailing last November, but everything ended up being fine. Do what you can, and then bring everything else to the port.

(Cheers from a longtime Rockville resident, who can remember the days when neon signs were allowed on Rockville Pike)

I have the latest revision of the app and it is worse than ever.

I actually deleted all the data related to the app from my phone, uninstalled the app. I then rebooted my phone and installed the app again. Still a steaming pile of broken software.

It is the worse application I have seen since MS Windows 1.0.

The developers have no talent and if it was a college project they would get a F- with the comment that they should reconsider the decision to have a career in software development.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nattie said:

We are coming back to cruising and I am trying to do the registration process for upcoming January cruise. Apparently I cant do this online any longer, just in the app? App experience has been AWFUL, as app is unbelievably slow. I had blank screen twice now, where I would have to close and reopen the app with last changes not saved. 

We are elite and have 2 weeks Europe booked for summer, the January cruise is supposed to be a "tester" to see if we still like cruising and Princess. The app experience is certainly not encouraging!

We are not new to the Medallion Class either, our last 5 cruises were all on Medallion ships and I like the technology in general. But this registration process is just not at all smooth.

Make sure to leave a review at the app page of either Googe Play or the IOS App store.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nattie said:

Yes, the MC App has had any number of issues.  And - outside the App - they had a disastrously bad data conversion effort to setup the MC App database from pre-existing bookings. 

Based on your notes:

1. Completely delete and expunge all of the old OCEAN Apps you used to have.

2. Also, delete the new MC App if you have that.

3. Is your device compatible with new MC App?  You did not mention device and OS level.

4. Re-install MC App if your device supports it.

5. Can you login successfully to Princess.com and access your Captain Circle account and see your bookings?

6. Now, try using the same ID/PSWD to login to MC App.  If that doesn't work, it could be your ID/PSWD were not sync'd up between Princess.com and the App.  

7. Try logging in to MC App using your Name. Birthdate, and Booking Number.  See if you can see your booking now.

8.  If the App is compatible with your device and you can login, you should be able to see the booking and be able to enter Personal Information Documents.  The App is working much better now.  But there are issues with DMW - sometimes App and sometimes data.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, the MC App has had any number of issues.  And - outside the App - they had a disastrously bad data conversion effort to setup the MC App database from pre-existing bookings. 

Based on your notes:

1. Completely delete and expunge all of the old OCEAN Apps you used to have.

2. Also, delete the new MC App if you have that.

3. Is your device compatible with new MC App?  You did not mention device and OS level.

4. Re-install MC App if your device supports it.

5. Can you login successfully to Princess.com and access your Captain Circle account and see your bookings?

6. Now, try using the same ID/PSWD to login to MC App.  If that doesn't work, it could be your ID/PSWD were not sync'd up between Princess.com and the App.  

7. Try logging in to MC App using your Name. Birthdate, and Booking Number.  See if you can see your booking now.

8.  If the App is compatible with your device and you can login, you should be able to see the booking and be able to enter Personal Information Documents.  The App is working much better now.  But there are issues with DMW - sometimes App and sometimes data.

Thank you, Steelers36 and everyone else for helpful tips! I have the latest iphone and IOS. Deleted and redownloaded prior to the whole registration experience (couldnt even sign in before). The only thing that really worked is disconnecting from Wifi and using phone data, that wastly improved the speed and overall experience. May be App is looking for Princess wifi? Who knows, we are all checked in now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1