Thermal Suite Pass refund due to mask requirement?

Cruise Gopher

This is a bit more complicated.  I can't/don't want to call and get the refund now because I used an AMEX Offer where I got $125 back by spending $500 or more with NCL so if I get a refund for it now, it's going to trigger a claw back of the $125 credit by AMEX. 

I'd like to upgrade my drink package once onboard (and this credit of $199 for the Thermal Suite would help offset that Bev package upgrade cost) so I was hoping to do all this on board and then avoid the AMEX clawback scenario.

On Bliss currently and had called Friday to get the package refunded. Once on board I found out they wouldn’t be requiring masks in the thermal pool or sauna so I rebooked the package. 

I don’t know whether they would have allowed me to cancel the prebooked package once aboard but didn’t want to risk it. Buying the package on ship is slightly more expensive than buying it beforehand. 

You should be able to cancel onboard.  I did a B2B in October and had booked the spa for both weeks.  I decided I didn’t really want it for the second week. I had to wait until the day of departure for week 2, but was able to cancel it at the spa that afternoon before we set sail.  You will get non-refundable onboard credit.  Just be sure that you spend it onboard or you will lose it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

This is a bit more complicated.  I can't/don't want to call and get the refund now because I used an AMEX Offer where I got $125 back by spending $500 or more with NCL so if I get a refund for it now, it's going to trigger a claw back of the $125 credit by AMEX. 

I'd like to upgrade my drink package once onboard (and this credit of $199 for the Thermal Suite would help offset that Bev package upgrade cost) so I was hoping to do all this on board and then avoid the AMEX clawback scenario.

I love those AMEX rewards too! Side bar: how long has it been since AmEx gave you the $125? I ended up $600 ahead with AmEx because it too Holland America over a year to cancel my cruise. AmEx didn't claw me back! Anyway, in this case I do believe you can cancel onboard too, even if they don't require masks, I believe they will allow the cancellation if you are uncomfortable in that small indoor area given omicron. Seriously, with all the humidity it is the perfect spreading spot for any virus. I'm surprised the thermal area is open.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I love those AMEX rewards too! Side bar: how long has it been since AmEx gave you the $125? I ended up $600 ahead with AmEx because it too Holland America over a year to cancel my cruise. AmEx didn't claw me back! Anyway, in this case I do believe you can cancel onboard too, even if they don't require masks, I believe they will allow the cancellation if you are uncomfortable in that small indoor area given omicron. Seriously, with all the humidity it is the perfect spreading spot for any virus. I'm surprised the thermal area is open.

I just got the $125 credit last month. So yeah too soon to risk the claw back. 

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, exgman said:

What is a clawback?

Example:  You spend $500 on NCL and AMEX credits you back $125 due to the offer.  Then you go and refund your $500 purchase from NCL and the $500 credits back to your credit card.  Then AMEX will "claw back" the $125 credit they gave you since you didn't meet the requirements of the offer anymore because you took a refund from NCL.

Edited by Cruise Gopher

3 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Example:  You spend $500 on NCL and AMEX credits you back $125 due to the offer.  Then you go and refund your $500 purchase from NCL and the $500 credits back to your credit card.  Then AMEX will "claw back" the $125 credit they gave you since you didn't meet the requirements of the offer anymore because you took a refund from NCL.

Thanks Cruise Gopher, I hadn’t heard the term before.