1/2 Sailing of the Encore Rerouting

rnfulk

57 minutes ago, rnfulk said:

I would love to stop at Grand Turk, but it looks like we are getting a sea day. Good thing I packed a lot of books.

Encore certainly appears to be headed for Grand Turk.  Looks like she is only a few miles out as of now. (7:50am EST)

37 minutes ago, rnfulk said:

The current rumor is that we'll miss St. Thomas for a sea day and most likely miss Tortola, but are adding Nassau and will still stop at GSC.

Still no official word.

This has just been confirmed. Two sea days, then Nassau on Friday, GSC on Saturday, and back to MIA as scheduled on Sunday.

Edited by rnfulk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I am getting a feeling that the cruise industry will be private islands only soon and cruising will be significantly impacted. I hate that I have final payment in less than 4 weeks.

Consider yourself lucky.  Those of us with cruises in the next few weeks can only get a FCC.

2 hours ago, rnfulk said:

The current rumor is that we'll miss St. Thomas for a sea day and most likely miss Tortola, but are adding Nassau and will still stop at GSC.

Still no official word.

I’m really surprised they haven’t told you anything yet. That doesn’t look good for NCL. 

• Like 1

Just now, CarolinaMamma said:

I’m really surprised they haven’t told you anything yet. That doesn’t look good for NCL. 

How do we know that they know?  I believe some ports have a threshold of positive cases onboard.  If they test crew during the cruise maybe they don't have their numbers yet.

Just now, Karaboudjan said:

How do we know that they know?  I believe some ports have a threshold of positive cases onboard.  If they test crew during the cruise maybe they don't have their numbers yet.

That’s true, they may not know, but if they were supposed to be in St. Thomas TODAY, and it’s now a sea day, wouldn’t they have at least shared that much by now, even if they don’t know where they’re going to be tomorrow? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

It wasn't anything nefarious. I think they knew we weren't stopping in the Virgin Islands but were working on an alternative plan. Why risk mutany if you might be able to tell people they are getting an extra day in the Bahamas?

The new plans were announced this morning and the captain actually said that they were waiting to get the new plans before announcing anything. 

Edited by rnfulk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

That’s true, they may not know, but if they were supposed to be in St. Thomas TODAY, and it’s now a sea day, wouldn’t they have at least shared that much by now, even if they don’t know where they’re going to be tomorrow? 

Agreed.  I did not know the exact timing of this.  I was partly responding to the general refrain that they should have it all figured out and locked in unrealistically early.

One would think that sea day near St. Thomas where temps are in the 80's would be more appreciated than turning north and temps in the 70's.  Do not understand why they turned north ahead of schedule (save Fuel). maybe that's why they are parked/trolling near Turks.  Grand Turks toady near 80.  Sea Days need 80'degrees

Edited by FrankieCruise
  • Like 2

St Thomas had a change to testing on January 3rd - probably the answer to why missing St Thomas.

https://www.usvitravelportal.com

** ALERT! IMPORTANT UPDATE! **

Effective January 3, 2022, the window for taking COVID-19 tests for travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands will be 3 days prior to commencement of travel to the Territory.

This change applies to vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals, including those who were vaccinated in the USVI.

25 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

St Thomas had a change to testing on January 3rd - probably the answer to why missing St Thomas.

https://www.usvitravelportal.com

Effective January 3, 2022, the window for taking COVID-19 tests for travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands will be 3 days prior to commencement of travel to the Territory.

This change applies to vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals, including those who were vaccinated in the USVI.

Gov. Albert Bryan Jr. explained that through a memorandum of understanding, any ship that reaches a COVID positivity rate over 1% will not be allowed to call on the territory.

“We have an agreement with them, if their numbers cross that threshold there’s no compromise, no conversation, they just can’t come,” Bryan said.

• Like 1

According to Marinetraffic.com, Encore is heading to Nassau not Grand Turk, as of Jan 5th 1900 ET.

This matches what others have posted, that we'll lose two ports but gain Nassau, Bahamas and a sea day.

We'll be onboard on Sunday, so we'll see what that brings for us...hope to see others on here who are sailing that week.  Stay well and enjoy your time on Encore folks!

encore-Jan5.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My guess is you’re not going to Nassau either. When we got turned away from the Private Island, they programmed the AIS for Nassau, we spent the day at sea. Bahamas is applying the same 1% rule in effect, albeit unwritten. 

Enjoy another Pint in DBH, have some great food in Republic, kick back and enjoy! 

Edited by BoundForSea

1 hour ago, limeyalchemist said:

According to Marinetraffic.com, Encore is heading to Nassau not Grand Turk, as of Jan 5th 1900 ET.

This matches what others have posted, that we'll lose two ports but gain Nassau, Bahamas and a sea day.

We'll be onboard on Sunday, so we'll see what that brings for us...hope to see others on here who are sailing that week.  Stay well and enjoy your time on Encore folks!

encore-Jan5.png

See you Sunday Limey !  Look for the semi old/fat guy with the Big Mustache 😉

25 minutes ago, JBlade70 said:

For rnfulk or anybody on board now....was has been the status of the entertainment and thermal spa.  Anything been cancelled or closed??

As far as I know, Kinky Boots is the only entertainment that has been canceled. It was also canceled on the previous sailing. If it was canceled due to cast members needing to quarantine then maybe the show will be back next week. Comedy, musicians, and the Beatles shows are still happening. I believe the spa is still open as well. 

I forgot to mention Choir of Man. I saw the show at the beginning of the week. It was excellent. 

Edited by rnfulk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rnfulk said:

As far as I know, Kinky Boots is the only entertainment that has been canceled. It was also canceled on the previous sailing. If it was canceled due to cast members needing to quarantine then maybe the show will be back next week. Comedy, musicians, and the Beatles shows are still happening. I believe the spa is still open as well. 

Great...thanks

Remember when this used to say " 72 hours prior to arrival " ?  Now it says  " within 3 days of commencement of travel "  .  Those are two very different things . Whats the deal . ( head making odd sounds )

Popup-i-Icon

All Travelers
All domestic travelers 5 years of age or older, and all international travelers 2 years of age or older, and persons in transit to another destination, who enter the U.S. Virgin Islands by air or sea are required to use the USVI Travel Screening Portal and get cleared to travel to the USVI.

11 minutes ago, mpk218 said:

Remember when this used to say " 72 hours prior to arrival " ?  Now it says  " within 3 days of commencement of travel "  .  Those are two very different things . Whats the deal . ( head making odd sounds )

Popup-i-Icon

All Travelers
All domestic travelers 5 years of age or older, and all international travelers 2 years of age or older, and persons in transit to another destination, who enter the U.S. Virgin Islands by air or sea are required to use the USVI Travel Screening Portal and get cleared to travel to the USVI.

I think it comes down to questions about when travel starts.  Is it when my plane takes off?  When I head to the airport?  When I get out of bed?  If you post a policy that is specific to the hour then questions like these are legitimate and people will be asking them and someone has to answer them.  I think most places and companies have decided that a number of days is much simpler for everyone.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

I think it comes down to questions about when travel starts.  Is it when my plane takes off?  When I head to the airport?  When I get out of bed?  If you post a policy that is specific to the hour then questions like these are legitimate and people will be asking them and someone has to answer them.  I think most places and companies have decided that a number of days is much simpler for everyone.

But now they will need to decide the definition of Commencement . Tomorrow i will be within 3 days of Commencement of travel on a ship . Of course I may not arrive until next Friday . I hope that works for them .. 

12 minutes ago, mpk218 said:

But now they will need to decide the definition of Commencement . Tomorrow i will be within 3 days of Commencement of travel on a ship . Of course I may not arrive until next Friday . I hope that works for them .. 

We travel to the USVI's frequently and it means 3 days prior to arrival.  So if you arrive on Saturday, your test has to be taken by Wednesday and results must be received prior to arrival.  They have a handy guide on their travel portal.  https://www.usvitravelportal.com/.   However, this does not apply to cruise ship arrivals.

11 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

We travel to the USVI's frequently and it means 3 days prior to arrival.  So if you arrive on Saturday, your test has to be taken by Wednesday and results must be received prior to arrival.  They have a handy guide on their travel portal.  https://www.usvitravelportal.com/.   However, this does not apply to cruise ship arrivals.

Agreed , up until recently it did say " 3 days prior to arrival " it now says " 3 days prior to commencement of travel "   thats a big change .

1 hour ago, mpk218 said:

Agreed , up until recently it did say " 3 days prior to arrival " it now says " 3 days prior to commencement of travel "   thats a big change .

No, it doesn't say that.  It says "3 days prior to travel".  Here it is directly from their site, which was updated 1/3/22.  Domestic Travel (includes U.S. mainland and other U.S. Territories): Domestic travelers must submit a negative result from an antigen or nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) (e.g., RT- PCR) COVID-19 test taken within 3 days of travel.

It then gives a diagram for example. Showing that if you are arriving on a Saturday, your "day 3" would be Wednesday.  Day 2 is Thursday.  Day 1 is Friday.  And Saturday is day-of-arrival.