Transportation to and From Cape Liberty

ccturner26

I have a 2 part question:

We are traveling in to Newark the night prior to our cruise departure.  I know that many use Trinity for their park, stay, and shuttle service.  We will not have a car to park.  Are there any hotels that offer the shuttle option?  Or is it better to just Uber/Lyft for a family of 4?

When we disembark, we'd like to head into midtown NYC for 4 nights.  What is the safest way to get from the port to the hotel (yet to be determined)?  My husband is emphasizing SAFE.  LOL

15 minutes ago, ccturner26 said:

When we disembark, we'd like to head into midtown NYC for 4 nights.  What is the safest way to get from the port to the hotel (yet to be determined)?  My husband is emphasizing SAFE.  LOL

Uber or Lyft. You could select a black car or black SUV if you want a professional driver, but any of their options are going to be your best way into Midtown. The NJ taxis that are able to bring you there are for the most part pretty crummy. 

20 hours ago, ccturner26 said:

Statistically, public transportation is the safest means of local travel, particularly when compared to travel by private automobile. Todd Litman, of the Victoria Transport Policy Institute, had an article published a few years ago in the Journal of Public Transportation, "A New Transit Safety Narrative" (click here to download). One reporter summarized the findings: "Looking at traffic fatalities per mile traveled in the U.S., analyst Todd Litman found that riding commuter or intercity rail is about 20 times safer than driving; riding metro or light rail is about 30 times safer; and riding the bus is about 60 times safer. Factoring in pedestrians and cyclists killed in crashes with vehicles, the effect is smaller but still dramatic: the fatality rate associated with car travel is more than twice as high as the rate associate with transit." The bottom line is that if "safe" travel is the primary concern, then you should eschew taxi and taxi-like (e.g., Uber) services that utilize passenger cars, at least to the extent practicable, and choose instead to travel by bus or rail.

Unfortunately, there is no bus or rail service within the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. However, there is a light rail station immediately outside the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor (the development within which the Cape Liberty Cruise Port is located). So you could limit safety risk by using taxi or taxi-like service from the Cape Liberty Cruise Port passenger terminal to the 34th Street light rail station (located immediately outside the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor). It is a 7-minute trip. Then travel on a New Jersey Transit light rail train from 34th Street, Bayonne, to Hoboken Terminal, a 27-minute trip. Finally, travel on a Port Authority Trans-Hudson subway train from Hoboken Terminal to 33rd Street in midtown Manhattan. a 15-minute trip.

Alternatively, and marginally safer, would be to use that taxi or taxi-like service from the Cape Liberty Cruise Port passenger terminal to the intersection of John F. Kennedy Boulevard at Dillon Drive, a short distance beyond the light rail station in Bayonne, a 9-minute trip. From that intersection, a bus, New Jersey Transit route 119, goes directly to the Port Authority Bus Terminal in midtown Manhattan, a 57-minute trip. Note, however, that the bus operates much less frequently than the light rail and subway trains, so you would want to check the timetable carefully (click here to download).

6 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I agree with princeton, but there really aren't any "unsafe" ways to do this.  Cab, uber, limo, transit, are all safe.

Taxis don’t like to cross state lines because they can’t bring a fare back to NJ.