Uber Questions

emen822

Hi, we are cruising next month out of Galveston and are making our last minute reservations.

We decided to fly home on Monday instead of Sunday but our flight is very early out of IAH.  Is Uber something readily accessible in Houston?  I know this may seem like an odd question but in NYC we can get it literally any time and our flight is 6:00 a.m. so we would need a ride around 4:00 a.m.  Just wondering if that would be an issue?

Also, I just read that Uber is not allowed for pick ups at the terminal.  Are they allowed to drop off?

Thanks for your help!

Mary

Uber can pick up/drop off on Harborside street outside terminals area. Lift and certain taxis are licensed to enter terminals area for more convenient service . 

Edited by ssb

Thank you for the Uber info. We are leaning towards a shuttle now anyway.

As far as flying, we are leaving from IAH and are staying near the airport. The hotel has a shuttle but it starts at 7:00 am so trying to figure out our options. 

Edited by emen822

The Marriott is about 1/2 mile from the Airport - so sort of walkable (Luggage depending).

But why not call the hotel and see what they suggest. If they are near the airport - this would not be the first time they have had to deal with patr4ons with early flights.

On 1/9/2022 at 8:05 AM, ssb said:

Uber can pick up/drop off on Harborside street outside terminals area. Lift and certain taxis are licensed to enter terminals area for more convenient service . 

Can Lyft let off and pick up right at the terminal area where the porters take your luggage? My mom has trouble walking very far.

4 hours ago, ssb said:

Lyft and most Taxis and other transfers can access drop off and pick up areas , because they pay fee to Port of Galveston . Uber refuses . . 

Thank you for posting this info (I wish I had known this last time we sailed out of Galveston).  We stayed at Harbor House (which is just a block from the port, easily walkable).

From Harbor House were able to get Uber to and from the airport, local stores, etc.  But when we walked off the ship after our cruise, and tried to find one, there were no cars available.  I was so surprised, in 16 cruises, we've never had trouble getting an Uber/Lyft.  To make matters worse, this was one of the first cruises to resume after the shutdown, and there were no taxis either.  Finally, taxis started to show up (probably bringing people to the ship) so we took a very crowded taxi van to IAH (which was pretty expensive).  Now I wish we would have tried walking back to Harbor House to see if we could have gotten an Uber from there.  

But I do have a question, for our next trip, we have the opposite problem of OP, we have a late flight landing at 12:45 am.  Will we be able to find an Uber to take us to Galveston at that hour or should we just stay by the airport and go to Galveston in the morning?  

1 hour ago, csm5986142 said:

Thank you for posting this info (I wish I had known this last time we sailed out of Galveston).  We stayed at Harbor House (which is just a block from the port, easily walkable).

From Harbor House were able to get Uber to and from the airport, local stores, etc.  But when we walked off the ship after our cruise, and tried to find one, there were no cars available.  I was so surprised, in 16 cruises, we've never had trouble getting an Uber/Lyft.  To make matters worse, this was one of the first cruises to resume after the shutdown, and there were no taxis either.  Finally, taxis started to show up (probably bringing people to the ship) so we took a very crowded taxi van to IAH (which was pretty expensive).  Now I wish we would have tried walking back to Harbor House to see if we could have gotten an Uber from there.  

But I do have a question, for our next trip, we have the opposite problem of OP, we have a late flight landing at 12:45 am.  Will we be able to find an Uber to take us to Galveston at that hour or should we just stay by the airport and go to Galveston in the morning?  

Walking back to HH sounds like a good idea. But you can also walk across street of Harborside at 25th and catch Uber also . 

Yes you can find Uber  Lyft  Limo at that time of morning to transfer anywhere in Houston Galveston area .

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are back from our trip, and I just wanted to follow up in case others are concerned about Uber options in the middle of the night.

Our delayed flight landed just before 3 am last Thursday, and it was easy/reasonable to get an Uber to a hotel near IAH.  We had considered staying at the airport Marriot so we didn't have to deal with transportation, but it was over $100 more than the Holiday Inn Express, and I just couldn't justify it (especially since we ended up only being at the hotel about 5 hours total). 🙂 

• Like 1