Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Grab rails for bathroom


Hawaiidan
 Share

Recommended Posts

While there are ADA cabins on many ships  meny times you can not get them because there are few      AND  these cabins are restricted to the lower cabing class        So what if you want to book a Penthouse or  the ship is out of modified cabins with extra grab rails?

Well  I had that situation and  found 2 solutions      For grab rails  I found a  product  called " Sea Sucker"  that  can be attached to any smooth surface  shower tub... any where you want  and will support 400Lb pull   Like the ones used in windowinstillation    The cost about $100.        Now  on cabins with verandas that have 2 chairs and a foot stool sort of side table... you can put it in the shower or tub  and it can be a shower chair.     They are plastic and ade made to be in wet weather......  just return it to the veranda after use !!!          Creative thinking to solve problems

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Now  on cabins with verandas that have 2 chairs and a foot stool sort of side table... you can put it in the shower or tub  and it can be a shower chair.     They are plastic and and made to be in wet weather......  just return it to the veranda after use !!!          Creative thinking to solve problems

Most ships will provide you with a shower chair.   If you know you will need one ahead of time, it can be requested through the cruise line's access department.

 

We book our accessible staterooms way ahead of time.   Like a year or more sometimes.  The closer it is to the cruise, the less chance you will have of getting an accessible stateroom.

 

The Sea Sucker looks like a good traveling grab bar.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2022 at 10:30 AM, kokopelli-az said:

Most ships will provide you with a shower chair.   If you know you will need one ahead of time, it can be requested through the cruise line's access department.

 

We book our accessible staterooms way ahead of time.   Like a year or more sometimes.  The closer it is to the cruise, the less chance you will have of getting an accessible stateroom.

 

The Sea Sucker looks like a good traveling grab bar.   

With the cruise line providing a shower chair, and you armed with a "sea sucker" grab rail  you can turn many non ADA cabins  into  moderately aceprable cabins  for peopel who  can  use walkers  I just , with this info, gave up a ADA cabin for someone who needed the extra help  for a Penthouse that I could make work......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2022 at 9:27 AM, Hawaiidan said:

While there are ADA cabins on many ships  meny times you can not get them because there are few      AND  these cabins are restricted to the lower cabing class        So what if you want to book a Penthouse or  the ship is out of modified cabins with extra grab rails?

Well  I had that situation and  found 2 solutions      For grab rails  I found a  product  called " Sea Sucker"  that  can be attached to any smooth surface  shower tub... any where you want  and will support 400Lb pull   Like the ones used in windowinstillation    The cost about $100.        Now  on cabins with verandas that have 2 chairs and a foot stool sort of side table... you can put it in the shower or tub  and it can be a shower chair.     They are plastic and ade made to be in wet weather......  just return it to the veranda after use !!!          Creative thinking to solve problems

Does the Sea Sucker work on fiberglass? Some I've found don't so if this one does SCORE!! 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Does the Sea Sucker work on fiberglass? Some I've found don't so if this one does SCORE!! 🙂

LuAnn       It is NOT a suction cup  it is powered by a vacuum suction...  Each cup  has a button to pump out air   and the same to release it    17" long     The  samr gear they use to move heacy sheets of  glass  it holds 400lbs !    Made for boat use   workd under water.....  Bass Pro carrries them 110@   stick in a carry on or  luggage...    They say holds on glass, plastiv, stone tile.....  Thinking out of the box.   I am getting one or 2.      Making a PH into a accessable      Use it by the toilet, in the shower, by the bed....   Easy to move around to fit the situation     Heck carry it on shore X....   for difficult situations................

download.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

LuAnn       It is NOT a suction cup  it is powered by a vacuum suction...  Each cup  has a button to pump out air   and the same to release it    17" long     The  samr gear they use to move heacy sheets of  glass  it holds 400lbs !    Made for boat use   workd under water.....  Bass Pro carrries them 110@   stick in a carry on or  luggage...    They say holds on glass, plastiv, stone tile.....  Thinking out of the box.   I am getting one or 2.      Making a PH into a accessable      Use it by the toilet, in the shower, by the bed....   Easy to move around to fit the situation     Heck carry it on shore X....   for difficult situations................

download.png

That is super then!! Thank you!! We've yet to travel with all the "gear" and new mobility constrictions..our first go..we hope will be on Regatta in early May. We don't have an accessible cabin either...I thought as you did it would be better to save those for someone who is wheelchair bound..and thankfully we aren't there yet.  Sounds like we are both on new adventures at sea!! 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LuAnn said:

That is super then!! Thank you!! We've yet to travel with all the "gear" and new mobility constrictions..our first go..we hope will be on Regatta in early May. We don't have an accessible cabin either...I thought as you did it would be better to save those for someone who is wheelchair bound..and thankfully we aren't there yet.  Sounds like we are both on new adventures at sea!! 🙂

God gives us challenges that we must face and how we deal with them is  the measure of ourselves..............

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Got a question about the Sea Sucker grab bar.  Maybe two.

First, a good suction should be reliable regardless of how it is done.  The Sea Sucker appears to have a pump to make the suction.  Can I really rely on the pump to not have an eventual problem?  If a regular suction cup is set correctly on a smooth surface, why would it not be as good and as strong?

Second, if the suction cup (which is still the major part of the Sea Sucker) works the same as one found on, for example, the Ameriluck suction grab bar, why should I pay four times the amount for it?  The atmospheric pressure holding them both on is identical, given the same dimensions.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 10:55 AM, GoHuskies! said:

Got a question about the Sea Sucker grab bar.  Maybe two.

First, a good suction should be reliable regardless of how it is done.  The Sea Sucker appears to have a pump to make the suction.  Can I really rely on the pump to not have an eventual problem?  If a regular suction cup is set correctly on a smooth surface, why would it not be as good and as strong?

Second, if the suction cup (which is still the major part of the Sea Sucker) works the same as one found on, for example, the Ameriluck suction grab bar, why should I pay four times the amount for it?  The atmospheric pressure holding them both on is identical, given the same dimensions.

 

Because a suction cup  only sticks at   the Atm press surrounding.    A vacuum suction is much more powerful ,as you can get a  much stronger pressure reduction and holding power  a pressure  ratio differential from the vacuum - pressure................Physics 101.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2022 at 9:11 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Because a suction cup  only sticks at   the Atm press surrounding.    A vacuum suction is much more powerful ,as you can get a  much stronger pressure reduction and holding power  a pressure  ratio differential from the vacuum - pressure................Physics 101.

Sure--I know that.  But my question is the comparison of, for example, the Ameriluck version vs the Sea Sucker, which costs four times as much.  Actually it's a moot question--the atmospheric pressure is the same at 14.7 psi and both should work identically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...