Cruising on Island Princess with Amigo mobility scooter - question about doorways

venussuz

I'm scheduled on a TA cruise in May and my sister already upgraded our room from a balcony cabin to a mini suite because we had read the doorway to the balcony cabins are 23" wide and the Amigo I own is 24" wide. 

Can anyone tell me if the mini suite doorway is wider than 24 inches? My sister says it is, but I can't find anywhere it states the width of the doorway for a mini suite, only interior and balcony cabins, neither of which would do. 

I'm fortunate to be able to walk using a cane for excursions, but need the scooter to keep up with family members and navigate the length of the cruise ship. 

I'm wondering if I'll need to buy a travel scooter as the cost of renting one for the trip would be nearly as much as the cost of buying one.

Princess had previously told me doorways are 60cm wide, about 23.5 inches, and you have to allow for clearance so it seems unlikely your scooter will fit, you do need to fill in the mobility questionnaire and contact the E access office, possibly they can move you to an accessible cabin. 

Just now, ozscotart said:

Princess had previously told me doorways are 60cm wide, about 23.5 inches, and you have to allow for clearance so it seems unlikely your scooter will fit, you do need to fill in the mobility questionnaire and contact the E access office, possibly they can move you to an accessible cabin. 

Access office accessoffice@princesscruises.com.  They are very helpful. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ozscotart said:

Access office accessoffice@princesscruises.com.  They are very helpful. 

Thank you for the email address. I'm afraid there's no chance (barring a cancellation) of getting an accessible cabin as only 32 of the 1107 cabins are HA. I don't need an accessible bathroom so I figured I could make do with a standard cabin if there was room to get my three wheel scooter in and turn it. Looks like I'm on to plan C. 

33 minutes ago, venussuz said:

Thank you for the email address. I'm afraid there's no chance (barring a cancellation) of getting an accessible cabin as only 32 of the 1107 cabins are HA. I don't need an accessible bathroom so I figured I could make do with a standard cabin if there was room to get my three wheel scooter in and turn it. Looks like I'm on to plan C. 

There are scooters that will go through standard doors, mine is 52cm wide giving a good clearance on a standard cabin, but I need an accessible bathroom for more than a few days really, so generally make an effort to get one. You might be able to rent either a narrower one or one that folds. I still think it’s worth contacting the access office, they may have cancellations, there’s a lot more these days. 

• Like 1

I did so as soon as I saw your post and remembering that many people are cancelling cruises, so I'd at least like to be on a waiting list if a HA cabin becomes available. When we booked in September, there were none available but that could change.

No reply in the last 8 hours. (Who me, impatient? LOL) 

As you say, a more portable one is a possibility, though I'd likely buy rather than rent. Either way it won't stop me from cruising.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I've been checking daily and found HA interior cabins available a week ago but wasn't willing to try that size cabin with my "bulky" scooter.

I got lucky and found a HA balcony cabin available several hours ago and reserved it immediately. I don't anticipate any problems with our PVP switching the booking from the mini suite to the HA balcony cabin, just hoping the excursions we booked can transfer as well. 

It looks to be a happy conclusion to this problem, with the cost difference for the two cabin types likely going to a few more massages in the spa and more $$$ for souvenirs. :classic_biggrin: Many thanks for the assistance,  1025cruise and ozscotart!

I think you would have found the inside cabin quite roomy.  If you go to cruise deck plans.com, choose Princess, then Coral Princess…scroll down on the eft to inside cabins and click on handicap.  Two of the cabins have a tiny camera icon.  The pics of P535 were taken by me (we were next door).  Those of 502 show the cabin with beds split.  EM

• 2 weeks later...

HI!  I'm on that same cruise.  I booked a year ago, when the same 2021 cruise was cancelled.  I was able to get the same HA cabin (PR703).

I have been renting scooters from Special Needs at Sea.  The rental price for this cruise is a good bit higher than previous 2 wk cruises, probably due to the one-way factor.  However, since I'll be going solo, I can't see being able to manage a scooter & bags in the airports.

I've had the non-HA cabins & struggled getting a scooter thru the door. I rent the smallest, 19" wide scooter.  It goes thru the door (barely), but the real trick is getting the scooter turned to the door in the narrow hallway -- NOT easy!

Maybe we'll meet on the ship.

• Like 1

I wondered if the price for rental was because it's a TA. For that much, I may as well get a cheap travel scooter from Amazon. Having had a cheap scooter in the past, no thanks. Unless something changes, I'll be two doors down from you unless our PVP manages to cancel my booking - done without her because she wasn't returning calls. 

Looking forward to running into you (hopefully not literally!) DRS/NC during the cruise.

For me, the scooter is a lifesaver for managing bags at the airport. I just hook the duffel bag to the back, have the carryon between my legs on the floor of the scooter and the personal item bag in the basket. It's a hassle but it works. Fortunately, I don't usually need the duffel bag, which will be used this time for a dress, skirt, blouses and shoes to match, leaving plenty of room for souvenirs. 

I'm fortunate to be traveling with a group, but I'm still concerned about getting the scooter to the airport to prescruise hotel then to a London flat we rented for a few days sightseeing. As I'm not the one making the arrangements, and I know the dimensions of the scooter - back wheels are 24" wide, thus the doorway problem - this is a concern.

It would be beyond a struggle to get the scooter through a standard cruise ship door, I don't believe it would work sideways and upside down. As you say, getting them turned in the hallway (not to mention a standard room) can be problematic, requiring exceptional dexterity and skill, neither of which are my thing. 

Sorry, gadaboutgal, the arms aren't the problem, the wheels are. 

Essiesmom - the interior HA cabin surprised me by how spacious it is, but I'm afraid it won't do as this trip is a treat for my niece, which is why I liked the idea of an upgrade to a mini suite, until I found out about the doors and no HA mini suites on Island Princess.

• 1 month later...

I finally rented my scooter for the TransAtlantic yesterday.  

I knew the price from Special Needs (over $600!) so I called ScootAround.  WOW!  SA is having a TA special to get some of their FL inventory to Europe (repositioning).  My scooter was $100.00!

Even after adding the daily insurance ($10/day), my scooter cost is 50% less than SNAS!  What a surprise!

VENUSSUZ -- I look forward to meeting you.

• Like 1

ScootAround is that inexpensive? (With the sale, of course)  That's wonderful! If we weren't continuing our stay in London after the cruise, I'd look into them, but I have plans for using my Amigo to get around London as well as getting a few things in Fort Lauderdale before the cruise. 

Are you on the Roll Call for the Fire & Ice sailing here? I believe there's going to be a meetup at some point. 

Edit: My apologies, I see where you've arranged a meet for solo travelers. So glad to see plans being made on there!

I look forward to meeting you on the cruise - it looks to be quite a wonderful time!

Edited by venussuz
Add comment for DNS/NC