Need an RT-PCR test to enter Ecuador for Galapagos cruise

4774Papa

We will need an RT-PCR test to enter Ecuador for our Galapagos cruise.    Apparently CVS, Walgreens and other places that I have called don't offer the test.

We live in South Georgia (St. Simons Island).   An internet search doesn't help.

Also, the CDC issues something that implied this test will change?

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

We are going next week and realized the same. Our local pharmacy has both the 24-48 hr version and the rapid (though rapid is $200 each!).  Another pharmacy the next town over has them too.  Maybe look outside the chain pharmacies. I had to click on their websites and read through their testing options.

• Thanks 1

All PCR's that I have seen are "RT PCR". You just need a PCR test which should be relatively easy to acquire if you don't have a strict timeline. We went to the galapagos last year and for our peace of mind wanted a rapid result. So, we had to pay a substantial amount for that. But the 2-3 day PCR should be readily available at CVS and Walgreens for no cost. 

Also, the CDC statement was grossly misunderstood. They wanted doctor's offices treating people with symptoms to a run a simultaneous Covid and flu test so the authorization for covid only was withdrawn in favor of authorization for a covid/flu combo. PCR tests are still being done. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Did you actually look at the CVS website? You have two CVS locations with appointments wide open for the next 10+ days. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 7.43.14 AM.png

To get into Ecuador you need a RT-PCR, not a regular pcr. Nothing to do with celebrity, is an Ecuador requirement as of December 1.  

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Did you actually look at the CVS website? You have two CVS locations with appointments wide open for the next 10+ days. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 7.43.14 AM.png

Jeremiah,

Yes, I looked at that site and even talked to my local CVS pharmacy and they told me that they DID NOT do the RT-PCR test.  Same with Walgreens.   The RT-PCR test is a more precise test than the standard PCR test.

NO, not every PCR test is an RT-PCR test.

It is a requirement of Ecuador.

IMO, there needs to be a consensus with regards as to what an RT-PCR test actually is.  An RT-PCR test detects viral genetic material and is the most sensitive of the covid tests that are currently available.  It relies on amplifying a portion of the viral genetic material and RT is simply an acronym for reverse transcriptase, which is one way to accomplish this amplification.  There are several other approaches however, that also amplify viral genetic material and that don't specifically use RT.  Together, these tests are collectively known as NAAT tests, and according to the CDC, all are highly specific and sensitive.

Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests (NAATs) | CDC

My question is whether Ecuador specifically requires the RT-test or will accept any of the NAAT tests.  Interested because we're booked later this Spring on Flora.

4 hours ago, NouCruzer said:

IMO, there needs to be a consensus with regards as to what an RT-PCR test actually is.  An RT-PCR test detects viral genetic material and is the most sensitive of the covid tests that are currently available.  It relies on amplifying a portion of the viral genetic material and RT is simply an acronym for reverse transcriptase, which is one way to accomplish this amplification.  There are several other approaches however, that also amplify viral genetic material and that don't specifically use RT.  Together, these tests are collectively known as NAAT tests, and according to the CDC, all are highly specific and sensitive.

Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests (NAATs) | CDC

My question is whether Ecuador specifically requires the RT-test or will accept any of the NAAT tests.  Interested because we're booked later this Spring on Flora.

We just had our PCR test done for our trip to Galapagos this week and the Ecuador site specifically says RT PCR test. 

https://www.turismo.gob.ec/udate-of-the-entry-requirements-to-ecuador/

• Like 1

This hasn't come up in months, but here we go again...

All PCR tests for RNA viruses, such as SARS-CoV-2, are Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reactions, or RT-PCR. The PCR reaction amplifies DNA, not RNA. Reverse Transcriptase is an enzyme from retroviruses (HIV, for example) that produces DNA from RNA. That DNA is then amplified in the PCR reaction.

These requirements are being written by national reference lab people. Almost no one else refers to a PCR for an RNA virus as an RT-PCR. And once again we're back to consumers having to know a testing nuance you shouldn't need to know.

I'm not surprised the testing sites you've contacted didn't know the answer either. Until 20 months ago or so, I'd never heard anyone outside a reference laboratory or an equipment manufacturer use the term RT-PCR. 

@coldweathergirl, what does your laboratory report say for type of test? Most labs just report out PCR as type of test, but it will still be a RT-PCR.

The CDC document deals with the EUA for a stand alone SARS-CoV-2 panel. They're encouraging multiplexed testing to identify other respiratory pathogens, rather than a yes/no COVID19 result in a symptomatic person who could have the flu, RSV, or some other respiratory pathogen. Knowing it's not COVID19 is interesting, but if it's Flu A in the first 3 days, you can treat that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, markeb said:

This hasn't come up in months, but here we go again...

All PCR tests for RNA viruses, such as SARS-CoV-2, are Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reactions, or RT-PCR. The PCR reaction amplifies DNA, not RNA. Reverse Transcriptase is an enzyme from retroviruses (HIV, for example) that produces DNA from RNA. That DNA is then amplified in the PCR reaction.

These requirements are being written by national reference lab people. Almost no one else refers to a PCR for an RNA virus as an RT-PCR. And once again we're back to consumers having to know a testing nuance you shouldn't need to know.

I'm not surprised the testing sites you've contacted didn't know the answer either. Until 20 months ago or so, I'd never heard anyone outside a reference laboratory or an equipment manufacturer use the term RT-PCR. 

@coldweathergirl, what does your laboratory report say for type of test? Most labs just report out PCR as type of test, but it will still be a RT-PCR.

The CDC document deals with the EUA for a stand alone SARS-CoV-2 panel. They're encouraging multiplexed testing to identify other respiratory pathogens, rather than a yes/no COVID19 result in a symptomatic person who could have the flu, RSV, or some other respiratory pathogen. Knowing it's not COVID19 is interesting, but if it's Flu A in the first 3 days, you can treat that.

market,,

Thanks, but what assurance do I have that Ecuador will accept the PCR tests offered by CVS?

4 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

market,,

Thanks, but what assurance do I have that Ecuador will accept the PCR tests offered by CVS?

There doesn't seem to be a format requirement listed. I'm looking at my own test (not from CVS) from months ago (diagnostic, not screening) and it just says PCR, which is what I'd expect most reports to say. Unfortunately, I don't have a CVS PCR report to see how it's written, and it may vary with the state and actual performing lab. The test is the test; it's are they looking for magic words on the test report. I suspect when you're asking a pharmacy about an RT-PCR, they think you're asking about a rapid PCR, which they generally aren't doing. The alternative is to contact your primary care and schedule a test through them (if possible), but that report could just say PCR as well, even though it is an RT-PCR.

You can try contacting the US embassy in Ecuador or the Ecuadorian embassy in the US and see what they say. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

When we went to Ecuador we got our test done at our local airport. We had to pay for it, but it did say RT-PCR on it. Have you checked if there are any testing sites in your area advertising testing for travel?

None that specify RT-PCR

1 minute ago, 4774Papa said:

None that specify RT-PCR

the one we went to didn’t say that on their website. But someone specifically selling covid tests for travel are a lot more likely to list it that way than the standard Walgreens/cvs tests

7 minutes ago, sippican said:

In November, Celebrity was administering the tests upon arrival to the hotel. Have you reached out to the Galapagos Desk?

(866) 973-8466

the requirement has changed. In November you didn’t need the test until you flew to the Galapagos. Now you need the test to enter Ecuador.

anothsr suggestion for the OP is to look at the Ecuador forum on TripAdvisor. I got a lot of information from there for my trip. There are threads from current travelers on there now discussing their experience with this requirement. A brief look appears to show that they will accept any pcr test.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

For the amount that we’re paying for our cruise on the Flora I didn’t want to chance having the wrong PCR test.  

There was one clinic here that would do a PCR/ NAAT test where I could have had results while waiting but it wasn’t a RT PCR.  Just received our results.  Thankfully  they’re negative and they do specify.  

“Please see the details of your RT-PCR-SARS-CoV 2 nucleic acid test below”

The document also specifies type of test and it says RT- PCR Covid 19 (Regular), the time and date of specimen collection and result.  It is also dated and signed by the lab doctor and includes our passport number.  

Now to hope that my check mig form for transiting via Colombia to Quito is completed correctly for entry and exit.  

Travel is definitely not for the feint of heart now with all the requirements of travel. 

30 minutes ago, coldweathergirl said:

There was one clinic here that would do a PCR/ NAAT test where I could have had results while waiting but it wasn’t a RT PCR.  

This is the problem for consumers/passengers. Odds are, it was a RT-PCR, but there's at least one NAAT (nucleic acid amplification test) on the market that isn't a traditional PCR, and I honestly don't know if they use reverse transcriptase (I suspect yes, but I haven't looked and I don't know if the information is readily available). But I'm glad it worked for you, and sounds like you're good!

• 4 weeks later...