Laundry On Board--Hot or Cold?

Roxydog15

Even budget airline Southwest allows two bags per passenger.   I would hesitate in this time of COVID and FLU and who know what else to have my clothing washed in a cold wash!   Definitely would kill no bacteria or viruses..    In a Royal Suite and above and also for Zenith member they take more care of your items and actually deliver the, pressed and on hangers.    The regular passengers get wash and fold so you are guaranteed wrinkles.   We pack enough so we won’t have to send delicates to the ships laundry.   Their dry cleaning is excellent and reasonably priced.

4 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Even budget airline Southwest allows two bags per passenger.   I would hesitate in this time of COVID and FLU and who know what else to have my clothing washed in a cold wash!   Definitely would kill no bacteria or viruses..    In a Royal Suite and above and also for Zenith member they take more care of your items and actually deliver the, pressed and on hangers.    The regular passengers get wash and fold so you are guaranteed wrinkles.   We pack enough so we won’t have to send delicates to the ships laundry.   Their dry cleaning is excellent and reasonably priced.

So you don't believe that even a cold wash in soapy laundry detergent would destroy most bacteria and viruses?  It is the detergent not the temperature.  Washing clothes in plain hot (not boiling) water would not work as well as in cold plus detergent for eliminating pathogens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Surely that's counter productive with the additional bulk of the packaging? I would fold a short better than that!

Seriously not - saves a whole lot of space as it 'compresses' the clothing once you 'seal' them in - and no wrinkles - you can get a whole bunch of stuff in there with less space being used up in your luggage! 🙂

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Seriously not - saves a whole lot of space as it 'compresses' the clothing once you 'seal' them in - and no wrinkles - you can get a whole bunch of stuff in there with less space being used up in your luggage! 🙂

Am trying to reconcile 'compresses' and 'no wrinkles'.  Is it not instead truer that it's 'compresses' and 'controlled serious creases' that still have to be dealt with?

It does seem counterintuitive that the packing cubes take up more space not less.  But, since your clothes can be snugly packed into them, things won't slide around.  Or go flying all over if the suitcase breaks in the airport.  I noticed less mess from TSA and border inspections.  They can just flip things around and place them back in.  

The wrinkles are less since so tightly packed, no shifting around.  The only wrinkles have been the fold creases. At least not all smashed up.

DH was a big skeptic, is not a firm believer.  Just get a cheap, small set and test it out.  That's how I started and now have a big collection for every nook and cranny.

Will need them for sure since I apparently have to pack more than I was hoping to.  Grrr.

5 hours ago, canderson said:

Am trying to reconcile 'compresses' and 'no wrinkles'.  Is it not instead truer that it's 'compresses' and 'controlled serious creases' that still have to be dealt with?

No - because of the folding 'board' and the way the clothes as 'stacked' - there are no wrinkles (unless you don't know how to fold the clothes to put them in the folder?  LOL)...none so much 'compressed' as flattened maybe?  and held in place tightly - if that makes sense?

Edited by Froufie
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Froufie said:

No - because of the folding 'board' and the way the clothes as 'stacked' - there are no wrinkles (unless you don't know how to fold the clothes to put them in the folder?  LOL)...none so much 'compressed' as flattened maybe?  and held in place tightly - if that makes sense?

Still not picturing it apart from small items.

I've folded a lot of shirts in my day, and when going to a standard 'retail' fold, there are inevitably going to be two creases down the front (not to mention what it does to the sleeves), and if compressed, sharp creases at that.  I take it that there is some magic new way of folding a shirt to avoid this? 

Folded.jpg.d1f26ab957f92d5569bda9b498d98201.jpg

Edited by canderson
added photo

19 minutes ago, canderson said:

Still not picturing it apart from small items.

I've folded a lot of shirts in my day, and when going to a standard 'retail' fold, there are inevitably going to be two creases down the front (not to mention what it does to the sleeves), and if compressed, sharp creases at that.  I take it that there is some magic new way of folding a shirt to avoid this? 

Folded.jpg.d1f26ab957f92d5569bda9b498d98201.jpg

Sorry but my shirts don't really 'look' like this so can't help you there?  🙂   works great for t-shirt and other materials that are not as 'stiff' perhaps? 

46 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Sorry but my shirts don't really 'look' like this so can't help you there?  🙂   works great for t-shirt and other materials that are not as 'stiff' perhaps? 

I can see it for t-shirts, socks, underwear & etc., but those get used as 'packing material' in the suitcase (e.g., folding several pair of pants over 2-3 folded t-shirts to avoid cross-creases at the fold, socks get stuffed into shoes to help them hold their shape, etc.)

The biggest issue is always with dress shirts. 

You don't own any 'dress shirts' (especially long sleeve)???

Edited by canderson

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

I can see it for t-shirts, socks, underwear & etc., but those get used as 'packing material' in the suitcase (e.g., folding several pair of pants over 2-3 folded t-shirts to avoid cross-creases at the fold, socks get stuffed into shoes to help them hold their shape, etc.)

The biggest issue is always with dress shirts. 

You don't own any 'dress shirts' (especially long sleeve)???

Nope - not really - more like fancy silk blouses/capris/dresses? 🙂

I think OP can see that pattern by now, LOL!   But, I do think the laundry does vary a little between M class ships and S class,  with S class better, less damage.  Has anyone else noticed that?   Oh, and remember the cloth laundry bags,  I could get twice as much stuff in one of those as the paper laundry bags! 

Edited by rmalbers

20 minutes ago, canderson said:

Sounds like my stuff doesn't really lend itself to a cube due to how and what I pack.

Untrue - my husband has a folder and LOVES it for all his polos/pants etc - works great for that too! 🙂