On Riviera Now Jan 28; 2022 to Feb 7

catgirl411

Since the previous topics from on board cruisers were helpful to me, I thought I’d pass it on. This is our second cruise on Riviera so we have a familiarity with this ship pre-pandemic.  Last night they announced we have 462 passengers and almost 800 crew on this sailing. Embarkation was very easy. The Covid testing is very smooth and well organized as is check-in.  Had lunch in the Riviera Cafe, booked a pedicure for later in the afternoon and headed off for our cabin.  So far the itinerary has on one change- st Kitts has been substituted for Martinique. I expected this since Martinique has been closed to ships for a while.  Had drinks in a very sparsely populated Martini’s (it was after happy hour) and then a very nice dinner in the also sparsely populated GDR.  The opening night show seemed to have all of the cast (last week there had been illness in the production staff apparently). Everyone seems to be masking and socially distancing…elevators are generally empty…except right after the show. So far so good! We are so happy to be cruising again. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for taking the time to chronicle your experience on this cruise.  We are scheduled to be on the Riviera for the Feb 26 departure and have been curious about procedures implemented to accommodate Covid.  

Have a great cruise - but please leave some Watermelon Duck Salad and Sea Bass in Hoba Leaves for those who follow…

• Like 1

Also of note, all passengers will be tested before San Juan, whether or not we plan on getting off.  If theauthorities don’t like the numbers then we will not go there.  

I also saw my first cruise member in hazmat dress this morning…just walking down a hallway on Deck 7. I doubt that is any cause for alarm.

51 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

I also saw my first cruise member in hazmat dress this morning…just walking down a hallway on Deck 7. I doubt that is any cause for alarm.

We had them throughout the Jan. 14-28 cruise, servicing passengers who were in quarantine.  At this point in your cruise, it should only be crew (might even be new crew in 'abundance of caution' quarantine).

• Like 2

We are currently onboard and everything has gone very well. Plenty pool deck slots for a great sunny day.

Happy hour was festive thanks to our pianist. Maybe another waiter would have helped the guys running around but they did great.

Fantastic dinner at Red Ginger with the Spicey Duck Watermelon salad & Miso Glazed Sea Bass being the stars for us.

The evening show was a introduction to all the entertainers and program directors. Looked fully staffed to us.

The only down side is the 1% who refuse to adhere to mask wearing in the louge. He finally put it on after realizing he was the subject of stiff glares. Lol! 

There will be a few that don't realize the mask was left at their table when getting up for seconds but are very apologetic when accosted.

All in all a great day!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrandjr said:

We are currently onboard and everything has gone very well. Plenty pool deck slots for a great sunny day.

Happy hour was festive thanks to our pianist. Maybe another waiter would have helped the guys running around but they did great.

Fantastic dinner at Red Ginger with the Spicey Duck Watermelon salad & Miso Glazed Sea Bass being the stars for us.

The evening show was a introduction to all the entertainers and program directors. Looked fully staffed to us.

The only down side is the 1% who refuse to adhere to mask wearing in the louge. He finally put it on after realizing he was the subject of stiff glares. Lol! 

There will be a few that don't realize the mask was left at their table when getting up for seconds but are very apologetic when accosted.

All in all a great day!

We had one of those.  After a few nights they changed the announcement to stress that the Captain would put you off the ship for refusing to comply, and then I shouted out "Right on.  Down front: put it on!"  After that he seemed to wear it, at least until the lights went down – I think he was scared to think that people were watching and clearly would rat him out to the Captain.

• Like 1

Someone actually ratted him out to the CD after he took it off just before lights dimmed. CD walked to the front, made the mask announcement again and looked his way as he slid the mask over his noise. 

I'm feeling very comfortable on O more so than I was Crystal when they said nothing. One leader actually said they were not the mask police and he was quareentined shortly thereafter.

• Like 2

Thank you for posting for all us future cruisers.  I’ll be cruising solo, husband decided he didn’t want to go (complicated story, not Covid related) and I really want to go.  We can’t get our money back so I’m going.  Never cruised solo before but I’m really looking forward to it. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, kim ogrady said:

Thank you for posting for all us future cruisers.  I’ll be cruising solo, husband decided he didn’t want to go (complicated story, not Covid related) and I really want to go.  We can’t get our money back so I’m going.  Never cruised solo before but I’m really looking forward to it. 

Good for you for continuing with your plans solo. Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We had one of those.  After a few nights they changed the announcement to stress that the Captain would put you off the ship for refusing to comply, and then I shouted out "Right on.  Down front: put it on!"  After that he seemed to wear it, at least until the lights went down – I think he was scared to think that people were watching and clearly would rat him out to the Captain.

Good for you for calling out non-compliance. This is our worry, will all guests comply onboard, on shore excursion buses, elevators, etc.  We think the risk is high that many won't and as months pass, O may not remind/enforce this.  We have to make up our decision re our next O cruise this spring.  Therefore, we will continue to read/monitor how O enforces current protocols on this forum.  Thank you to everyone onboard for posting as these posts are very helpful.

I really don't care how people dress in the dining room, but mask wearing is my trigger.  I don't know whether they work or not – and certainly don't want to get into that argument – but my view is they can't hurt and wearing a mask is a sign of respect to those around you.  [Taking your hat off in the dining room is too but failing to do it has no possible health effect on me, and as I've said before, my assumption is that guys who wear a hat in the dining room are bald and ashamed – my hat is off to guys who are bald and proud!]  As long as Oceania says everyone should wear a mask, anyone who doesn't is at best antisocial and at worst a sociopath... 🤪

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kim ogrady said:

Kim, similar situation for me; I thought I would be cruising w family, but they had to cancel so I went solo on the 17 Nov transatlantic on Riviera, Rome to Miami. Had a fabulous time! Cristina was the associate social director who organized solo traveler get togethers. It’s announced in Currents, and you should get an invitation delivered to your stateroom. Typically was meet in Baristas lounge at 5:30 for free drinks and chat before an invitation to eat dinner together in GDR. Two bottles of wine for each table (4 to 6). Really enjoyed the get togethers and made some friends! Christina organized 5 or 6 get togethers over the 16 day cruise. I heard many met up at Baristas on every night it wasn’t an organized group, so much fun! 

On 1/29/2022 at 7:54 AM, catgirl411 said:

Since the previous topics from on board cruisers were helpful to me, I thought I’d pass it on.

Thanks for doing this.  Booked on the Feb 7th, so this is of great interest.  Looking forward to following your trip.

2 hours ago, crooz4fun said:

Thanks for doing this.  Booked on the Feb 7th, so this is of great interest.  Looking forward to following your trip.

We are on the Feb. 7th also and find this board very interesting.  Thanks so much for doing this!

Carol

6 hours ago, crooz4fun said:

3 hours ago, Cruze4Ever said:

We are on the Feb. 7th also and find this board very interesting.  Thanks so much for doing this!

Carol

And you guys can start another thread for your cruise, to keep 'paying it forward.'  😁  It will be really interesting to compare and contrast each cruise as conditions change!

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 6:54 AM, catgirl411 said:

Last night they announced we have 462 passengers and almost 800 crew on this sailing. 

Amazing how much difference 6 weeks has made. We had 719 passengers and about 780 crew on Riviera 12/13-23/21 going to W. Caribbean. Wonder if your seriously reduced number of passengers is due to cancellations and no shows. Can't imagine how empty she would be at that count. Seemed on the cusp of empty but nicely so at 719. Just enough people in most places at any given time to remind you of others without ever feeling crowded or having to wait in line.

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Amazing how much difference 6 weeks has made. We had 719 passengers and about 780 crew on Riviera 12/13-23/21 going to W. Caribbean. Wonder if your seriously reduced number of passengers is due to cancellations and no shows. Can't imagine how empty she would be at that count. Seemed on the cusp of empty but nicely so at 719. Just enough people in most places at any given time to remind you of others without ever feeling crowded or having to wait in line.

It just feels safe with 462 right now. Getting on Marina after this one and hope to have a safe number as well. These 3 days have been fantastic.

• Like 2

After being pretty isolated at home for almost two years,it feels amazing to have other people around us.  It is also wonderful to have somebody else preparing meals and cleaning up! So far we feel very safe and well cared for. Everyone on board seems happy to be here and are complying with the protocols. I’m sitting here on the balcony of our cabin enjoying the sunshine and a lovely view of St Bart’s.  For the first time in a long time, I feel relaxed and normal. So glad we faced our fears and decided not to cancel.

Edited by catgirl411
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

After being pretty isolated at home for almost two years,it feels amazing to have other people around us.  It is also wonderful to have somebody else preparing meals and cleaning up! So far we feel very safe and well cared for. Everyone on board seems happy to be here and are complying with the protocols. I’m sitting here on the balcony of our cabin enjoying the sunshine and a lovely view of St Bart’s.  For the first time in a long time, I feel relaxed and normal. So glad we faced our fears and decided not to cancel.

It is so great to hear how happy and relaxed you are on the cruise!  We will be onboard next week.  Enjoy every minute of the cruise and thanks for posting!

• Like 2

Agree with catgirl 411, it feels wonderful to be on vacation again after 2+ years and enjoying ocean views again. We had dinner at La Reserve last night for the first time. It was wonderful, highly recommend it. 
All venues are open. Culinary class is still demo only. St. Kitts tomorrow replacing Martinique. So far only change to itinerary. 
Loving every minute of this cruise. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, azlatina said:

Agree with catgirl 411, it feels wonderful to be on vacation again after 2+ years and enjoying ocean views again. We had dinner at La Reserve last night for the first time. It was wonderful, highly recommend it. 
All venues are open. Culinary class is still demo only. St. Kitts tomorrow replacing Martinique. So far only change to itinerary. 
Loving every minute of this cruise. 

Very nice to see you post!  I know you followed my Jan. 4 thread closely as well as the Jan 14th that @macaroni created.  Ironically @macaroni and her husband and their friends talked several times with us during the cruise.

I had to respond to you because you were liking and thanking all over the place on those previous threads.

I'm glad you are having a great time.......you certainly planned this one out!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Very nice to see you post!  I know you followed my Jan. 4 thread closely as well as the Jan 14th that @macaroni created.  Ironically @macaroni and her husband and their friends talked several times with us during the cruise.

I had to respond to you because you were liking and thanking all over the place on those previous threads.

I'm glad you are having a great time.......you certainly planned this one out!

Thank you Nymich, it was because of your posts, that helped us make the decision to proceed with the cruise and not cancel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1