TBK, Dandee, Mercruiser and anyone else.

Petoonya

TBK was just out there enjoying in December. I have high hopes to cruise in August. Too much of a good thing to be feeling blue about- yet. Then again I'm as much of a realist as the next guy. What are YOU doing about fp and insurance for 2022 cruising?

Good morning Petoonya. We are still planning to be on the Star Breeze in March. Is there risk? of course, but with a good insurance policy from Steve, and as much caution as possible, we'll have a great cruise with a likely low passenger count and great service on board. Our travel group of 6 will take precautions like each of us getting a separate rental car while in Moorea pre-cruise. We've cancelled our drive down to Santa Cruz for dinner, while laying over for one night near SFO. We'll just hangout at the hotel and chill in our rooms before the next day flight to PPT.  Pre-cruise, we'll mostly hangout in our OWB's, and why not, given what they cost, lol. We think we can greatly minimize the risk of a positive test upon boarding. The years are ticking away and there are certainly increasing risks from other life events(health) that we can't predict, so let's go NOW. A big thank you to you and TBK for all of your guidance in planning for this, our first visit to FP. I'm looking forward to a dolphin jumping nearby while riding with Raiatea Jet.

• Like 1

The deciding factor in our decision to cancel for May of 2022 is the threat of quarantine for a positive test (or even if you're contact-traced to have been in proximity with someone else that tested positive).  Reading through my insurance policies, I'm covered for any health-related aspects of quarantine (hospitalization, etc), but NOT covered for hotel expenses or meals during the quarantine. With three tests required in 11 days, that's just not a risk I can afford to take.

If you can't afford to pay out of pocket for a 7-10 day stay confined to a hotel room, take a careful look at your insurance to verify that it's a covered risk.

We have never had insurance ... but then my situation is different and if the cruise got cancelled I would still receive a FCC and ATN (which I'm on for the March and July cruises) will give me a credit for a future flight to be used over the next year which works for us as we have not purchased airfare for 2023 ... we have a 10 night Wind Spirt cruise booked.

Not that others should do as we do ... everyone's situation is different.

Getting ready to fill out the ETIS form for our next cruise 🙂

Our travel group of 6 has decided to go on our PG cruise that has been postponed twice (in 2020 and 2021).  We all have standard travel insurance and also have the option of purchasing a “top up” policy to cover quarantine expenses related to Covid.  We are travelling from Canada and thus have to meet the entry requirements of both the U.S. and French Polynesia, as well as those of PG, for a minimum of 6 tests.  Yes, there is risk associated with that, but we have decided to do our best to stay healthy and hopefully we will have no testing issues anywhere. 

We have taken a similar approach to dbld777 regarding our pre-cruise stay and are opting out of excursions during that time.  We figure we are going to FP for the first time, and we will be staying in over water bungalows for the first time, so let’s maximize the time we spend in the bungalows and keep the excursions for our cruise in order to minimize the likelihood of testing positive before the cruise starts.  We are also putting together a contingent quarantine plan in case we test positive while in FP.

Of course, everyone has their own comfort level with this and you need to do what is best for you.  If you are not able to get the level of insurance that will give you peace of mind then you might want to rethink going at this time.  Do what makes sense for you so you can relax and enjoy your trip be it now or 6 months from now. 🙂

• Like 1

We are booked on the March cruise on Oceania Regatta.  If it sails, it will be the first cruise on Regatta in 2 years. They cancelled the February cruises in FP.  We have never been to French Polynesia and it's been a dream trip of ours for a long time.  We were supposed to go in March 2021 but that didn't happen of course. We're not getting any younger so we feel it's time to take a chance and live life. 

Like others, we are concerned about testing positive and having to quarantine. We will take every possible precaution but it's a chance we're willing to take.  My main concern is that Oceania will cancel the March cruises. We haven't heard anything about that yet so I will assume it's a go. 

If the cruise is canceled, we'll take the refund from Oceania. (not interested in a FCC).  Our flight on United was paid for with miles and those can be redeposited. Our hotel reservations can be canceled and refunded. We didn't purchase travel insurance but we do have medical insurance that pays when traveling internationally. The only real financial risk we're taking is the hotel bill if we're quarantined. 

Ya know, I'm so sick of cruises being canceled due to COVID I'd do just about anything to get on the ship in August. It would take a LOT to make me change my mind. Worst case scenario I'd get an Airbnb for a decent price if I needed to quarantine. Like Sunlover, it wouldn't be ideal, and for us, even with FCC it would be a hell of a lot more outlay of cash. But I'll do it just to get on Wind Spirit. Husband and I aren't getting any younger, it could be the last time, who knows?

My gawd maybe dementia is setting in now with me talking like  this.

The world is ready to be rid of COVID.

Zukini, knew it was coming, and you chose the best decision for you, but very sorry you decided to forego. 😞

Edited by Petoonya

9 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Zukini, knew it was coming, and you chose the best decision for you, but very sorry you decided to forego. 😞

Thanks, Petoonya.  We're actually comfortable with our decision to cancel, and now that it's done we're much less stressed out.  Just read elsewhere that Wind Spirit is delayed in drydock due to a work stoppage in Singapore, and the March 7th cruise has been cancelled. If we were still booked, worries that the ship wouldn't be ready in time would have just added to our stress level. 

@Zukini

Comes a point where the anxiety pushes one over the edge. And glad that you are feeling good about the decision and get the weight off your back. Who knows, maybe we'll meet again when the pressure isn't on.

I feel as though this really could be our last cruise and so we have to go for broke. Usually my husband is extremely conservative with finances. When you get over the hill andare  just keeping dough for your old age care, you feel differently.

The Singapore delay is awful.

This is a timely question for me.

"What are YOU doing about fp and insurance for 2022 cruising?"

I'll answer those in reverse order.

Cruising? I'm not doing it right now. I'm not satisfied with the "Cruise with Confidence" type guarantees that provide an FCC. If I have to cancel due to failing a covid test, I don't want $4000 - $8000 tied up in an FCC with a company that might go bankrupt. Cruise lines have been bleeding cash for a long time now. Also, I was especially unimpressed reading the PG board over the last two years, about the passengers' experiences trying to get refunds from Ponant on cancelled cruises. No thanks.

Insurance? Now that I'm taking a FP resort trip on FF miles and hotel points (see below), the biggest insurance issue for me is paying for quarantine in FP in the event we fail a covid test.  For my upcoming trip, I've bought a policy that will pay up to $7000 ($500 per person per day) for quarantine lodging expenses. It also pays up to $250k medical and $1M medical evacuation (both per person). Not bad for a $157 policy. I've observed in life that things that I insure against don't tend to happen. So I'll be most happy with that outcome.

What am I doing about FP? I am headed there in 1-week for a 9-night resort stay at the Tahiti Intercontinental and the Moorea Hilton. Both resorts and business class RT flights are all on frequent flier and hotel points. I am paying cash for meals, tours, rental cars, and an upgrade to an over-water bungalow at the Hilton. I have almost zero cash out on this trip so far (about $22 in taxes on the business class tickets.)

If we fail the pre-flight covid test this coming Friday, I will not lose a dime. Everything is refundable. Additionally, I have a backup trip scheduled to Kauai in a month.

Here is what I'm doing differently because of Covid in FP:

• I booked a rental car in Moorea for the entire week. I normally only rent for a day to two. This time I've booked the car the whole time so that we are not riding in taxis with a driver. 
  • We will eat almost exclusively in outdoor restaurants. This is not a sacrifice at all. Most of my favorite restaurants are outdoor or open air.
  • Bought insurance (described above)
  • Avoided a cruise (described above)

I have not given up on cruising. I've just deferred it to 2023 and 2024, with bookings for Caribbean, Norway, UK, and South America.

16 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

One more thing to add  on "doing differently"

• Bringing my business notebook computer so that I can work if I get stuck in quarantine with an asymptomatic case.

You make a good point  ...

Heading over in 4 weeks for PG cruise ... everything went fine in December 2021. However, I might purchase some insurance for possible quarantine. 

TBK- if you buy insurance are you looking for living expenses if quarantined? And if so how do you do that? We always buy insurance and I guess I need to uncover if it already covers it or is an add on-. Then again maybe you’re talking about other coverage.

I’m completely ignorant of where you can stay if quarantine required. Where FP declares you stay or if there’s a choice

3 hours ago, Petoonya said:

TBK- if you buy insurance are you looking for living expenses if quarantined? And if so how do you do that? We always buy insurance and I guess I need to uncover if it already covers it or is an add on-. Then again maybe you’re talking about other coverage.

I’m completely ignorant of where you can stay if quarantine required. Where FP declares you stay or if there’s a choice

Just coverage for quarantine expenses.

I agree 100% Mercruiser. I've decided to just take it with a wing and a prayer. We ended up nicely when we'd paid in full for a trip in April 2000 and it was shot to h. Let's see where this all takes us.

If we don't talk again, have a fabulous time and be sure to come back and report.

I'll be sure to let you all know how the trip goes. I might even spot PG or Star Breeze outside our window, anchored in 'Ōpūnohu Bay. This will be a nice break from our February winter weather.

Here is a photo from a 2015 snorkeling trip on Taboo. We have Taboo booked this trip too.

i-WmcHvrw-X2.jpg

An then there is the best sunset I've ever seen, as experienced from our bungalow at the Moorea Hilton. These are the natural colors - no Photoshop magic here.

IMG_2237-XL.jpg

WOW!!!!! That's a real beauty! But then you are really swimsuit beauties too. There is nothing like that water. I sure hope you see Star Breeze- that extension sounds like it was aesthetically pleasing. Please keep in touch fellow Northwesterner.

Edited by Petoonya