ms Rotterdam and ms Nieuw Amsterdam in Port Everglades February 5, 2022

Scrapnana

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Oh, I had thought that perhaps they could do it with divers.

Hi Ann; Mr. RKA is correct; if an Azi-Pod requires complete removal, that can only be accomplished in a dry-dock for which the nearest one to FLL is the Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport, on the northernmost of the islands of  the Bahamas. If the repair(s) can be competed with divers, "Miami Divers" is the outfit most used by the cruise lines who call on South Florida ports  

Edited by Copper10-8

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Roy, my friend; I had to take off on "honey do" duty but, having said that, you are absolutely correct that the always busy PE pilots will not board while 3-hours plus of Azi-pod repairs awaits and, No, unlike the Southwest Alaska pilots who stay onboard for four and a half days on the Kake-Ketchikan run, dinner is usually not involved in Port Everglades.

What got my attention is the "two pilots onboard" broadcast on the radio from the gangway to the bridge, which is SOP on HAL for security and/or deck officers when the pilot(s) board, either via the gangway or via their boat. I have never heard the other lines use it although that doesn't mean it isn't done. What is a mother to do? 😉  You take care and be safe amigo!

Btw, being aware that you have spent the night on her, this might interest you!

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-07-20/long-beach-considers-options-for-queen-mary

RMS Queen Mary was the first ship that I ever visited prior to a trans-Atlantic sailing from New York.  That visit helped to spark my addiction to sailing.  Prior to a Hawaiian cruise sailing from Los Angeles on the S. S. Monterey in 1977, I was at a guest at the Queen Mary Hotel.  

Thanks for posting this link.  A "theme park"?   A "gambling parlor"?  What a desecration for such an iconic vessel if such would happen.  The City Council member's idea of creating a Queen Mary National Monument has historical relevance.  If it were not for the service of both of the Cunard Queens, which carried thousands of soldiers (far more people than they were designed to carry) to Europe during World War II, no one knows how much longer that war might have continued.  RMS Queen Elizabeth is no more.  Her older sister remains and ought to be preserved.