The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

34 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

My wife likes to send out as much as she can expect to get back before the end of the cruise.  

That way she minimizes the laundry she has to do when we get home.

Ouch!!!  It's one thing if you have an unlimited laundry plan, but it seems pretty cost ineffective to pay the cruise line per item to do laundry you could do at home at a fraction of the cost.

10 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Ouch!!!  It's one thing if you have an unlimited laundry plan, but it seems pretty cost ineffective to pay the cruise line per item to do laundry you could do at home at a fraction of the cost.

Since she thinks it is money well spent I do as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Since she thinks it is money well spent I do as well.

I can totally relate to this.  I do it on every trip - send out every piece of laundry I have two days before disembarkation.  I normally get at least one bag free, but even if I don’t, it’s worth the $30:to come home with clean, nicely folded laundry.  It’s a little luxury I afford myself.  I’m so totally with your wife and you!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

I can totally relate to this.  I do it on every trip - send out every piece of laundry I have two days before disembarkation.  I normally get at least one bag free, but even if I don’t, it’s worth the $30:to come home with clean, nicely folded laundry.  It’s a little luxury I afford myself.  I’m so totally with your wife and you!

I like to make her happy.  She does so much for me.  A little thing like this is well worth the cost.

Besides, if I were worried about money, I'd just stay home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

I was led to believe that you only get one laundry bag for a fixed price in mid cruise, after that, you pay by the item.  Am I misinformed?

If you can always get your laundry done for $30/bag, then it is probably worth it.  On our last cruise on a different line, we had unlimited laundry and sent it all out in the last two days, so I understand the benefit.  

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I was led to believe that you only get one laundry bag for a fixed price in mid cruise, after that, you pay by the item.  Am I misinformed?

If you can always get your laundry done for $30/bag, then it is probably worth it.  On our last cruise on a different line, we had unlimited laundry and sent it all out in the last two days, so I understand the benefit.  

Everyone gets the mid-week special.  There’s no specific time to use it.  You can wait til two days before disembarkation to use it.  I’m also Sapphire, so I get a bag free.  I’m with you on paying by the item, but a little planning goes a long way and it’s well worth it to come home with mostly clean clothes,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I like to make her happy.

@RocketMan275 I love the way YOU think.  Our wife's put up with us.  I can not speak for you but I am "no walk in the park".  My hardest part of a cruise vacation is gently nudging my bride simply let the crew make the bed for us.  She and I actually got in a fight on a cruise ship when I asked to butler to put an extra ice bucket on the veranda because she like to have a glass or two (or three) of cold wine at night. She said, I was imposing on the butler. 

In todays world to have someone that is a best friend and confidant is such a luxury. Again, GREAT attitude. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

SthrnGary.  Your thread has helped me immensely preparing for our upcoming Haven trip in November. I especially love reading how you “spoil” your wife! Hubby knows we are going on a cruise, but he doesn’t know anything about the Haven. It will fill me with so much joy to see him relax and enjoy our time together. In my mind, his hardest decision to make will be what the next drink will be! 

p.s.  how do I highlight your name in these response? 

10 hours ago, SaltyPawz said:

SthrnGary.  Your thread has helped me immensely preparing for our upcoming Haven trip in November. I especially love reading how you “spoil” your wife! Hubby knows we are going on a cruise, but he doesn’t know anything about the Haven. It will fill me with so much joy to see him relax and enjoy our time together. In my mind, his hardest decision to make will be what the next drink will be! 

If you are directing your post to a particular individual, you can also just hit the "Quote" button next to the + sign at the bottom of the other person's post.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SaltyPawz said:

@SaltyPawz The answer to how to alert me is given above.  Thank you for your kind words. 

A huge thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread, especially the wonderful contributions of @Sthrngary, I have learned so much from this thread. We are on our first day of Breakaway haven today. If anyone has any questions let me know. 
Pre-cruise concierge was a bust - none of our requests were actioned on the ship. 
FYI American Diner is no longer available to haven on embarkation day on the breakaway. 
Everything else has been fabulous, haven restaurant, butler, steward, bar staff, all wonderful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, MarkieMalarky said:

FYI American Diner is no longer available to haven on embarkation day

Trust me when I say, you missed nothing.  Sorry about the pre-cruise Concierge however I will lay odds, your butler with do everything your want in short order.  I was on the Breakaway in December of 2022.  Nice ship.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Trust me when I say, you missed nothing.  Sorry about the pre-cruise Concierge however I will lay odds, your butler with do everything your want in short order.  I was on the Breakaway in December of 2022.  Nice ship.  

yes, I have delivered your famous butler letter and pretty much everything has already been taken care off! Thank you again for all you do here @Sthrngary

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2023 at 6:04 PM, JoieNsk said:

…. Though normally we like to go to the buffet a lot, to avoid spending time at the sit-down meals. But if the buffet on Epic on our cruise is going to be like it was in the review - no seating to be found anywhere: so much that they opened up special restaurant spaces for people to take food from the buffet and go up couple decks to seat somewhere - to eat it. Unless I misunderstood something.

We really are going to miss that buffet! Does Haven have any buffet style meals at all?

Thank you for the information again!

Jim and I aren’t fans of the Epic Haven, primarily because we didn’t like the layout of Haven restaurant (long & narrow) and enclosed “outside” tables behind the main restaurant, with a second Haven bar.  (It’s more of a warm-weather Haven experience, though we got such a good price on a transAtlantic, we’ll be back on her next Spring.)

What I loved was the private glass elevator (requires Haven key card to operate) from Haven lounge directly to the large Posh sun deck, complimentary to Haven guests.  Posh doesn’t have hot tubs, but does have a great bar.

That elevator also goes 1 deck below the Haven lounge, opening directly to the Garden Cafe.  I used this shortcut all the time to get curry lunches, which I brought back up to the Haven to eat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PatJim said:

That elevator also goes 1 deck below the Haven lounge, opening directly to the Garden Cafe.  I used this shortcut all the time to get curry lunches, which I brought back up to the Haven to eat.

Thank you for the tip!

Maybe if the buffet (Garden Cafe?) will be busy, we will take the food and go up to eat it in Haven places.

One thing I love about Joy-class Havens is the self-service coffee machine in the Atrium.  Fabulous latte & cappuccino which I was happy to make every am to get me set up for the day.  It also has an early morning buffet (almond croissants!), as well as lunch & afternoon tea sandwiches, etc., if we didn’t feel like a fuller Haven restaurant meal.  Even Haven restaurant lattes were never as good as that machine.

I’m not a morning person, but Jim hits the gym at 6 am (Epic has its own small gym—leave a trail of breadcrumbs to find your way back—ship has very peculiar layout).  If not sailing on the Joy, I have a standing order for butler to deliver hot skim milk and almond croissants to our cabin every morning.  Just add shots of espresso, and I’m happy.

Does anyone else remember the suite coffee machines that had hot milk attachments?  Those were the days…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PatJim said:

morning buffet (almond croissants!)

"The best thing about waking up, is Almond Croissants with my cup!!!!"

8 hours ago, PatJim said:

If not sailing on the Joy, I have a standing order for butler to deliver hot skim milk and almond croissants to our cabin every morning.  

ALMOND CROISSANTS!!!!!  In the Horizons Observation lounge.  With the most unbelievable coffee machine I have ever used.  On the JOY!!!!

YOU ARE KILLING ME.  Some of my best memories.  Thank you and I HATE YOU!!!

• Haha 2

I will be on the Escape next month in a Haven room.  First time on NCL and first cruise post pandemic.  Looking forward to getting back onto the sea,

My daughter (14) has developed a love for sushi and wants to make sure she get some when we are on the ship.  What are the sushi options in/out of the Haven.  I assume there are rules for raw fish that probably do not apply to other food items so I am interested in hearing any advice people have for making that happen.  Is it an upgrade restaurant only type item or are there Haven options for making it happen?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

"The best thing about waking up, is Almond Croissants with my cup!!!!"

ALMOND CROISSANTS!!!!!  In the Horizons Observation lounge.  With the most unbelievable coffee machine I have ever used.  On the JOY!!!!

YOU ARE KILLING ME.  Some of my best memories.  Thank you and I HATE YOU!!!

And I ❤️ that you started this post🥰!!!

We sailed many times on the Gem, as we live a short cab ride across town from NYC’s passenger cruise terminal.  Used to organize many Cruise Critic Roll Calls, and also loved organizing cabin crawls.  Since first sailing on a NCL ship with her own Haven restaurant and bar—aft cabin on the Bliss—we’ve never gone back to any of the older ships that lack these facilities.  

BTW, the aft Haven suites on Bliss/Joy with HUGE balconies are @220 steps from forward elevators/stairs to the Haven.  We liked the long walk back to our cabin after meals, but it was very inconvenient most other times:  rushing back to cabin after breakfast to put on sunscreen, etc. before meeting in Haven for priority disembarkation for beach days, or just having to go back for that book we forgot to bring up to the sun deck.  Now Jim always chooses 2-bedroom suites on same deck as Haven bar & lounge, and I have to agree convenience trumps having a larger balcony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PatJim said:

I'm not a morning person, but Jim hits the gym at 6 am (Epic has its own small gym—leave a trail of breadcrumbs to find your way back—ship has very peculiar layout).  

Yes, the layout is weird. At least once while going down the stairs from the exercise room, I took the first door on the lower deck as we were on the starboard side of the ship. Unfortunately, that door leads to the men's locker room and I am not a man. Fortunately, at 7 AM it was only me and my husband using the exercise room/locker rooms. Weird thing about the locker rooms in the Haven on the Epic, there aren't shower curtains in the stalls and there are doors on either side of the shower stalls. Sorry gentlemen, but that says to me, "Designed by a male."

13 hours ago, surfclam2003 said:

Is the the current drink menu for the Haven?NCL+Haven+Bar+Menu (7)(1)-1.pdf

We will be on the Epic in April for a Trans Atlantic and wonder if we will have to pay for the grey goose.

Thanks

What's included in the Free at Sea beverage package (ultimate, premium, open, whatever you call it...well NCL calls it) and what's included in the Premium Plus (they've been slightly more consistent here) will likely change more than once before your April cruise.

Currently Grey Goose is an upcharge. On other threads, it's been stated that it's a $2.40 upcharge (including 20% gratuity). I'm saving my pennies now for my Grey Goose. 

Here's the thread I mentioned (see post 483 for Grey Goose):

The only thing consistent with NCL is the inconsistency.