The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I worked Army rocket/missile systems for almost 40 years.  

Huntsville is one of the best kept secrets. One of the most upscale hi-tech communities 

If  you like my user name, you'll love me email.

rktctysooner@gmail.com

Yep. Wonderful place. Almost got a job with NASA there years ago. Some of the worst drivers on the planet though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Yep. Wonderful place. Almost got a job with NASA there years ago. Some of the worst drivers on the planet though.

Only town I know where you can be doing 55MPH in a 45 zone and have a cop pass you.

BTW, you should see this place when it snows.  

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Wave if you're going  through Huntsville.

BTW, if  you're coming down I65, there's a Buc-ee's in Athens now.

We don't do Athens. We're in Tullahoma, so we come down 431 through Hazel Green to 565.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, omahabob said:

We don't do Athens. We're in Tullahoma, so we come down 431 through Hazel Green to 565.

If you want to shake things up take 72 West instead of 565.  Takes  you straight to Athens.  Four lane.  

Edited by RocketMan275

20 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Yes and no.  Let me explain.  The Haven Two Bedroom Family villa has a small balcony.  It might not fit another chair.  Go on YouTube and view the suite with special consideration for the size of the Balcony.  If the chair will fit, ask the Haven pre-cruise desk or the butler when you get onboard.  No Grease needed.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.  

Thanks for all of the responses.  I'll keep the 'grease' in my pocket. 🤑  If there's enough room, I may just take one of the dining chairs out to the balcony when and if needed.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2023 at 6:53 PM, Sthrngary said:

@amygutman It was not the Encore.  I was the NCL Joy.  The good news is that the NCL Joy (H2) Deluxe Owners Suite with Large Balcony is exactly the same as the Encore with one exception.  The Joy had a Fireplace on the wall and the Encore did not.  Other then that, the same.  

I will post the video but to be quite frank, it is not my best work.  Here you go, enjoy.

@Sthrngary Ok...this is fabulous on so many levels. But my mind is forever blown. I have "grumpy old man face" in my mind now replaced by "man in a tuxedo face". What the heck? It's like the curtain has been pulled back from the Wizard of Oz!

The-man-behind-the-curtain GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

With appreciation, Amy

• Haha 4

I'm officially annoyed. Here comes a rant about Haven accessibility options. The suite we had on Bliss was very well set up for various disabled persons, accommodated a scooter very well, and was nicely located within the Haven complex. My mom loved the Haven experience so much she decided she wanted to book another cruise right away. We went to the CruiseNext desk to see about a few different options for southern Caribbean or Panama Canal trips. The first slightly annoying thing was that even though we don't want to go at a peak time there were only a few options that had availability in an accessible suite, because there are only 1 or 2 of those on any given ship.

That was fine though, because we found a cruise on Viva with the *one accessible Haven suite that exists on the whole ship*, which is an aft-facing master on deck 10. Not the best, because it's at the opposite end from the elevators so she won't be able to just leave the scooter in the suite to go to the lounge or the restaurant like she could on the Bliss, and it's a long trip down the narrow hallway, which the service carts often make impassable for wheelchairs. It's got 2 hallway options though, so we decided to go for it. Yay!

Then I got home and really looked at a layout of the suite. It didn't make sense as a wheelchair cabin, so I watched a video and it is a *total joke*. You have to enter in a short of hallway hallway like a regular balcony cabin, with no ability to turn a chair or scooter at all until you get to the living area part... the really, *really* stupid part about that, though, is that all of the storage is in that hallway in an open closet shelving area that not only looks horrible, it's not functional for someone who can't leave their chair. They can't turn sideways to even look at it, and any time they go to get clothing they would have to go down the hall and then back the chair up into the living area with the clothing because they can't change right there in front of the doorway. 

Then, moving into the rest of the suite, it's not a 1 bedroom like other masters. They've removed the wall separating the bedroom and the living space and just left a weird 2-sided TV hutch that has shelving on either end. Ready for more utter stupidity? There is still a TV on both sides, even though there is no wall separating the two, and they are inches apart. The one on the "bedroom" side is touching the foot of the bed. There is enough space to turn a scooter around next to the bed, on the side by the bathroom, but there is no way for a person who can't leave their chair to get to the other side of the room (balcony side) without modifying the furniture. 

On the other side of the TV hutch is a small table, 2 chairs, and a couch. This takes up all of the space on that side, so that a wheelchair or scooter would not fit through to get to the balcony unless the table and chairs are removed from the suite entirely. This would also be the only way for them to get to the other side of the bedroom area.

The bathroom is the only part of the suite that's really suitable for a person using a wheelchair, but it's also basically the same as a minisuite bathroom, just slightly larger and with a double sink. Basic rainfall shower with spray wand, no tub, almost zero counter space at all.

So now I guess we'll be doing whatever we can find an open accessible suite on for a Panama Canal cruise, or maybe Bermuda or of NYC. It seems like Breakaway and Breakaway+ class ships are really the only good accessible Haven options. It's so disappointing that they've basically shut wheelchair users out of the Haven on these brands new ships that have really huge Haven sections. Even the non-Haven accessible options on those ships are really awful too.

10 hours ago, NikkiPoooo27 said:

I'm officially annoyed. Here comes a rant about Haven accessibility options. The suite we had on Bliss was very well set up for various disabled persons, accommodated a scooter very well, and was nicely located within the Haven complex. My mom loved the Haven experience so much she decided she wanted to book another cruise right away. We went to the CruiseNext desk to see about a few different options for southern Caribbean or Panama Canal trips. The first slightly annoying thing was that even though we don't want to go at a peak time there were only a few options that had availability in an accessible suite, because there are only 1 or 2 of those on any given ship.

That was fine though, because we found a cruise on Viva with the *one accessible Haven suite that exists on the whole ship*, which is an aft-facing master on deck 10. Not the best, because it's at the opposite end from the elevators so she won't be able to just leave the scooter in the suite to go to the lounge or the restaurant like she could on the Bliss, and it's a long trip down the narrow hallway, which the service carts often make impassable for wheelchairs. It's got 2 hallway options though, so we decided to go for it. Yay!

Then I got home and really looked at a layout of the suite. It didn't make sense as a wheelchair cabin, so I watched a video and it is a *total joke*. You have to enter in a short of hallway hallway like a regular balcony cabin, with no ability to turn a chair or scooter at all until you get to the living area part... the really, *really* stupid part about that, though, is that all of the storage is in that hallway in an open closet shelving area that not only looks horrible, it's not functional for someone who can't leave their chair. They can't turn sideways to even look at it, and any time they go to get clothing they would have to go down the hall and then back the chair up into the living area with the clothing because they can't change right there in front of the doorway. 

Then, moving into the rest of the suite, it's not a 1 bedroom like other masters. They've removed the wall separating the bedroom and the living space and just left a weird 2-sided TV hutch that has shelving on either end. Ready for more utter stupidity? There is still a TV on both sides, even though there is no wall separating the two, and they are inches apart. The one on the "bedroom" side is touching the foot of the bed. There is enough space to turn a scooter around next to the bed, on the side by the bathroom, but there is no way for a person who can't leave their chair to get to the other side of the room (balcony side) without modifying the furniture. 

On the other side of the TV hutch is a small table, 2 chairs, and a couch. This takes up all of the space on that side, so that a wheelchair or scooter would not fit through to get to the balcony unless the table and chairs are removed from the suite entirely. This would also be the only way for them to get to the other side of the bedroom area.

The bathroom is the only part of the suite that's really suitable for a person using a wheelchair, but it's also basically the same as a minisuite bathroom, just slightly larger and with a double sink. Basic rainfall shower with spray wand, no tub, almost zero counter space at all.

So now I guess we'll be doing whatever we can find an open accessible suite on for a Panama Canal cruise, or maybe Bermuda or of NYC. It seems like Breakaway and Breakaway+ class ships are really the only good accessible Haven options. It's so disappointing that they've basically shut wheelchair users out of the Haven on these brands new ships that have really huge Haven sections. Even the non-Haven accessible options on those ships are really awful too.

@NikkiPoooo27 I read your post and know how disappointed you must be.  As new ships designs happen, and as we all get a little older, sometimes the two done match.  Your issue in my mind is not the fact that the two new NCL ships are lacking Scooter clearance.  It is that you were given the notion it did.  Sometimes I wish NCL staff was a bit better informed and was much more realistic in their recommendations. But that is just me. 

I am going to make a few recommendations.  Like anyone's opinions, some folks will like then and other won't.  You are relatively new to CruiseCritic.com and this thread so I don't know much more about your needs than your post stated.  Some of my recommendations will be unpopular with the NCL Haven faithful.  

I have been in the Haven on the Breakaway and Breakaway + ships.  Your realization that those are the ship you should consider is a good one.  However, I would stay with three ships as my choice.  Encore, Bliss and Joy.  Not that I don't like the standard Breakaway ships just the (+) always feel nicer and more accessibly to me. 

Brace your self because here comes the controversial one.  I priced the Viva and the Prima Havens.  Those prices motivated me to look to other brands and outside of the Mainstream Cruise Categories.  When you reach a certain price point, the "world is your oyster".  My first choice was to look within the NCL family.  That is Oceania and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.  These ship are far less family oriented and much more focused on the needs of 55 + cruisers.  This includes the rooms and accessibility you will need with your mom.  My first choice was Regent however the couple going with me could not budget that.  I ended up on Oceania Cruises.  

Open your search and look at YES, the NCL (+) ships and some other brands that focus on an older clientele.  You loose the water slides and go carts and gain enhanced dining and personalized service that is the same for ALL guests. Instead of a Ship within a Ship.  It is simply a Ship.  

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 8:03 AM, graphicguy said:

Really looking forward to this (once I get rid of this “guilt” complex), as the Epic is supposed to have the best Haven in all of the fleet, and it’s just been redone.  So, should be fun!

Well...

Everybody is different. But judging by what you mentioned about yourself so far - you might never get rid of the guilt completely :)))

But together with guilt - I always get even higher appreciation of how lucky I am that I can live the life I live. The more that due to my job in a midtown big city hospital - I get to see very close people who live very different life.

So enjoy! Maybe you are just somewhat more lucky that others. But also I am sure you worked hard to get the life you have. And life is short, very short sometimes :)))

Congrats on upgrade! Enjoy the shower! :))))

Edited by JoieNsk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2023 at 5:53 PM, Sthrngary said:

@amygutman It was not the Encore.  I was the NCL Joy.  The good news is that the NCL Joy (H2) Deluxe Owners Suite with Large Balcony is exactly the same as the Encore with one exception.  The Joy had a Fireplace on the wall and the Encore did not.  Other then that, the same.  

I will post the video but to be quite frank, it is not my best work.  Here you go, enjoy.

Thank you very much for the video.

I really appreciate when people make video reviews. I am too lazy to do this. But I try at least to make pictures, and post reviews on Tripadvisor.

But the videos of course are much more helpful.

I doubt we would ever end up in this suite. But you never know. We got couple pretty impressive cost-wise bookings - also due to Covid cancellations, and ended up in couple cabins we never thought we would get to stay at.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Brace your self because here comes the controversial one.  I priced the Viva and the Prima Havens.  Those prices motivated me to look to other brands and outside of the Mainstream Cruise Categories.  When you reach a certain price point, the "world is your oyster".  My first choice was to look within the NCL family.  That is Oceania and Regent Seven Seas Cruises. 

I don't think this point is controversial at all. You're motivated to try out other lines due to an issue with the NCL Haven experience. NCL isn't the "perfect" fit for you, right now. I am a more motivated NCL Haven cruiser, because of the dress code. Now, that is a silly reason. Yours is not silly.

Just as you have, I would definitely encourage @NikkiPoooo27 to take a look at other lines. They are more premium and offer a product at about the same price as NCL's Haven. They might even be a better line, unless family members want the thrills found on NCL. Then, well yea, it's definitely better to look at the Breakaway/+ ships. 

@NikkiPoooo27 - look at this cruise. If you can get yourself, and passengers, to Panama City it is a steal! Most affordable Haven room is $2,900 per person and the most affordable accessible Haven room is $3,519. Those prices are just fare, before all other fees, gratuities, airfare, etc. is thrown in. We almost booked it last night, but at ten days, it's a wee bit too long given our October trip west.

https://www.ncl.com/cruises/10-day-panama-canal-from-panama-city-to-miami-cozumel-and-roatan-JOY10FAMLIOGECCMACZMBPIRTBMIA?destinations=4294961383&sailMonths=4294934053&numberOfGuests=4294953449&sortBy=featured&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=JOY10FAMLIOGECCMACZMBPIRTBMIA

16 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I don't think this point is controversial at all. You're motivated to try out other lines due to an issue with the NCL Haven experience. NCL isn't the "perfect" fit for you, right now. I am a more motivated NCL Haven cruiser, because of the dress code. Now, that is a silly reason. Yours is not silly.

Just as you have, I would definitely encourage @NikkiPoooo27 to take a look at other lines. They are more premium and offer a product at about the same price as NCL's Haven. They might even be a better line, unless family members want the thrills found on NCL. Then, well yea, it's definitely better to look at the Breakaway/+ ships. 

@NikkiPoooo27 - look at this cruise. If you can get yourself, and passengers, to Panama City it is a steal! Most affordable Haven room is $2,900 per person and the most affordable accessible Haven room is $3,519. Those prices are just fare, before all other fees, gratuities, airfare, etc. is thrown in. We almost booked it last night, but at ten days, it's a wee bit too long given our October trip west.

https://www.ncl.com/cruises/10-day-panama-canal-from-panama-city-to-miami-cozumel-and-roatan-JOY10FAMLIOGECCMACZMBPIRTBMIA?destinations=4294961383&sailMonths=4294934053&numberOfGuests=4294953449&sortBy=featured&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=JOY10FAMLIOGECCMACZMBPIRTBMIA

@cruiseny4life Extremely well written and informative.  I was blown away with the "Fair" investment for the Haven Suite.  GREAT FIND.  Also, just my opinion, the Joy is one of my favorite NCL Havens I have ever cruised.  My families as well.  

20 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

NCL isn't the "perfect" fit for you, right now.

Where what you are saying in many ways is true, it is also being realistic on establishing "Realistic Expectations" based on a different kind of itinerary.  My upcoming cruise is not in the Haven true, yet it is also a 10-Day Mediterranean Cruise.  Follow me here for a moment.  I wanted a smaller ship to get into smaller ports with no tenders, I wanted a much more port intensive itinerary with more times in each port, I wanted less of a family ship and more of an adult ship for this trip.  

Everything I post is about knowing your wants, needs and motives.  We should also have realistic expectations to avoid disappointments that happen when we thing our cruise is going to be ultra perfect.  No cruise is perfect.  That means everyone like myself that think the NCL Haven is a GREAT way to cruise, also has to be open for other options.  

On to your suggestion with your link.  I want to take my older sister in the Haven and she is on a budget.  The link you gave would have been perfect so GREAT JOB.  I absolutely love when folks share those kind of opportunities it really helps everyone.  Side note, if you are a SOLO, the Club Balcony Suites are a very special value as well. Thank You for taking the time to share. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

NikkiPoooo27 - look at this cruise. If you can get yourself, and passengers, to Panama City it is a steal! Most affordable Haven room is $2,900 per person and the most affordable accessible Haven room is $3,519.

I would love that one, but there are no nonstops to Panama City from Detroit which makes it hard to sell to my mom. If it was in 2024 (not 2023) then I'd look at doing the round trip as a back to back, but like you I'm on a big trip in October (TA from 10/22-11/4, with a few days in London before) so this year is out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoieNsk said:
On 7/8/2023 at 8:03 AM, graphicguy said:

...Epic is supposed to have the best Haven in all of the fleet, and it’s just been redone.  So, should be fun!

I think we are going to be the lucky ones on Epic - in the Haven. 

I just watched recent review of the Epic, where it was brought up multiple times about how packed with people all the public areas were, the 20-30 minutes waits just to get a drink - in every single bar on board etc. My understanding is that the ship doesn't seem to have an efficient set up for the amount of people it can carry.

I suppose the Med Cruise might not be as packed as the Caribbean one in the review. But on the other side I just read an article about how packed Europe is this year. 

I have never being on NCL, it is going to be our first cruise with them. I just hope that Haven bar and restaurant are not going to be that bad as the rest of the ship? I have a feeling we will just stick with Haven area for food and drinks then.

Though normally we like to go to the buffet a lot, to avoid spending time at the sit-down meals. But if the buffet on Epic on our cruise is going to be like it was in the review - no seating to be found anywhere: so much that they opened up special restaurant spaces for people to take food from the buffet and go up couple decks to seat somewhere - to eat it. Unless I misunderstood something.

We really are going to miss that buffet! Does Haven have any buffet style meals at all?

Thank you for the information again!

Edited by JoieNsk
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

We really are going to miss that buffet! Does Haven have any buffet style meals at all?

Yes, Did I beat Gary to the answer? There is a selection of items at the breakfast buffet. Gary (OP) raves about the almond pastries. Personally, I would take more than my share of the lox from the buffet and then I would request a bagel and some lettuce to make a good bagel, lox and cream cheese sandwich. (They don't have lettuce on the buffet.) There is also a menu that you can select from. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GALSews said:

Yes, Did I beat Gary to the answer? There is a selection of items at the breakfast buffet. Gary (OP) raves about the almond pastries. Personally, I would take more than my share of the lox from the buffet and then I would request a bagel and some lettuce to make a good bagel, lox and cream cheese sandwich. (They don't have lettuce on the buffet.) There is also a menu that you can select from. 

Thank you!

So they have continental set up for breakfast? But you can order omelet for example from the menu?

I can be totally happy with continental stuff for breakfast. But my husband really like omelets.

Edited by JoieNsk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

Thank you!

So they have continental set up for breakfast? But you can order omelet for example from the menu?

Yes, they have a selection of breads, yogurts, fish (lox, disguised as roses, and herring), fruit, meats and then there is a menu. I think there is steak and eggs, omlettes, French toast, waffles, etc. The coffee is French press and the oj is squeezed, I believe. 

In case you haven't seen it, the Haven menu doesn't change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GALSews said:

Yes, they have a selection of breads, yogurts, fish (lox, disguised as roses, and herring), fruit, meats and then there is a menu. I think there is steak and eggs, omlettes, French toast, waffles, etc. The coffee is French press and the oj is squeezed, I believe. 

In case you haven't seen it, the Haven menu doesn't change. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoieNsk said:

We really are going to miss that buffet!

The answers above are spot on.  I want to address you missing the buffet.  I was on the Joy, fully booked, went to the Buffet for breakfast when in a Club Balcony suite.  I also was on the Breakaway, fully booked, had no issue going to the Buffet.  You will also notice, NCL has a 24/7 restaurant that is pretty good if you don't want to have a long meal in the Haven.  

Remember, any meal that the Haven Restaurant is open, you butler can serve it to you in your suite.  Keep that in mind but ALWAYS tell your butler when open, always gain food (only what is on the Haven menu) from the Haven Restaurant.  

• Like 1