Is CATS really still on Oasis?!!

43 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

It's 90 min now.  My contention is that it should be 80 min with a 10 min intermission.  Better if it was 70 with a 20 min intermission- there were plenty of songs and character intros that could be dropped without impacting the story.  Let the people free without leaving during the show.

Honestly no need for an intermission on a 90 minute show. Mama Mia runs 140+ with no intermission 

On 5/23/2022 at 3:45 PM, yogimax said:

How about attacking Grease, a story totally based on stereotypical sexism?  

Even assuming that were true, at least Grease has awesome music and dancing.  But I would still challenge the premise.  

On 5/23/2022 at 6:01 PM, yogimax said:
On 5/23/2022 at 5:54 PM, alfaeric said:

C'mon... to excuse the blatant sexism in Grease by comparing it to Cats is simply nonsense.  The whole story line of Grease revolves around women's inferiority and need for male domination.

Uh...no.  Danny absolutely changes his personality in order to appeal to Sandy as well.  Just because something happens in the musical does not mean that the musical itself approves of it.  Most of the characters are portrayed as flawed in various ways--Danny and Sandy included.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, baelor said:

Even assuming that were true, at least Grease has awesome music and dancing.  But I would still challenge the premise.  

Seems to me, of all the Broadway musicals, CATS has the most dancing. But I'm no authority on dancing

6 hours ago, yogimax said:

"Tell me more, tell me more, did she put up a fight?"

Nuf said.

Not really.  Does every murder mystery condone the murder by virtue of including it?

The question was not whether there is sexist content in the musical; the question is whether the musical itself is sexist.  Those are distinct.

• Like 1

I went to a Q&A a few years ago on Oasis.  I asked the question about length of show runs and the answer I was given was it was leased (can't remember the word he used) for 10 years.  How long has it been now?  I'd love to see something like "The Fantasticks" .  Those royalties are so cheap even small theaters can afford them, lol.

1 hour ago, baelor said:

Not really.  Does every murder mystery condone the murder by virtue of including it?

The question was not whether there is sexist content in the musical; the question is whether the musical itself is sexist.  Those are distinct.

Murder mysteries don’t glorify the murder.  Grease glorifies the macho male and the girls who put out to keep them.  Sandy’s a slut! Danny’s a stud! Let’s sing  “We go together “ and be happy!!!

Not only sexist in every way, an embarrassment to musical theater.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, poocher said:

Grease glorifies the macho male and the girls who put out to keep them.  Sandy’s a slut! Danny’s a stud! Let’s sing  “We go together “ and be happy!!!

Strange.  I took the opposite lesson from it.

2 hours ago, baelor said:

Glad you agree that there is sexist content in the musical.  Is the musical itself sexist?  The test is whether the sexist content is accepted as normative behavior or challenged.  The entire play and especially the ending makes it clear.  Sexist behavior is not only accepted but celebrated.

So is the musical itself sexist?  Absolutely.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, poocher said:

Sandy’s transformation is pretty clear

Is it?  I viewed it as a humorous twist on Danny's--each is trying to be what they perceive the other to want them to be rather than what they are (hence Sandy's uncertainty about how to dispose of the cigarette, for example).  I am not sure what in the movie suggested to me that I should view Sandy's transformation as (1) positive, and (2) permanent.

12 hours ago, poocher said:

Rizzo gets her period

Could you flesh out the reasoning here?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, yogimax said:

The test is whether the sexist content is accepted as normative behavior or challenged.  The entire play and especially the ending makes it clear.  Sexist behavior is not only accepted but celebrated.

Again, I found the opposite to be true.  I did not come away at all viewing the sexist behavior as accepted or celebrated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baelor said:

Is it?  I viewed it as a humorous twist on Danny's--each is trying to be what they perceive the other to want them to be rather than what they are (hence Sandy's uncertainty about how to dispose of the cigarette, for example).  I am not sure what in the movie suggested to me that I should view Sandy's transformation as (1) positive, and (2) permanent.

No one will admit that Danny transforms as well. Now he does go back to his original persona, but he does that to make Sandy happy. 

But does this really need to be a life lesson. Can't we just go and escape. That's what entertainment is all about

21 hours ago, poocher said:

Not only sexist in every way, an embarrassment to musical theater.

Far from an embarrassment IMO….love the entire production.  Even remember seeing it for the first time - Olivia is beautiful in many ways.  Now Cats (the actual topic of the thread)….I agree - a total failure. 

8 hours ago, baelor said:

Could you flesh out the reasoning here?

The musical ends with Rizzo beaming at Connikey (sp?) “hey can we stop at the drug store? I just got my period!”  And him hugging her.  Phew! Dodged THAT bullet!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Far from an embarrassment IMO….love the entire production.  Even remember seeing it for the first time - Olivia is beautiful in many ways.  Now Cats (the actual topic of the thread)….I agree - a total failure. 

You do know that Olivia wasn’t in the actual musical.  And they made major changes to the part of Sandy to cast her.  Has anyone here ever seen the ORIGINAL musical vs the one based on the (god awful) movie??

22 minutes ago, poocher said:

You do know that Olivia wasn’t in the actual musical.  And they made major changes to the part of Sandy to cast her.  Has anyone here ever seen the ORIGINAL musical vs the one based on the (god awful) movie??

I couldn’t care less….the one I love has her in it, and I enjoy the version onboard as well. And must love the major changes. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, poocher said:

The musical ends with Rizzo beaming at Connikey (sp?) “hey can we stop at the drug store? I just got my period!”  And him hugging her.  Phew! Dodged THAT bullet!

Kenickie.  I am not sure what you wanted instead--should Rizzo have gotten pregnant and then bemoaned her punishment for being a slut?  I think "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" provides enough introspection into her regret and moral crisis.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, baelor said:

Kenickie.  I am not sure what you wanted instead--should Rizzo have gotten pregnant and then bemoaned her punishment for being a slut?  I think "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" provides enough introspection into her regret and moral crisis.

Arguing details ignores the entire premise of the play... that women are second class

human beings, dependent on men, and any act, moral or immoral, justifies their perceived need to kowtow at the feet of the "cool" males.