The Endurance has been found!

rkacruiser

March 9th NBC Nightly News reported that Shackleford's Endurance has been discovered after being lost 106 years ago.  This is exciting news for me.  Having visited Antarctica and having read about the Shackleford Expedition and the positive result for those who endured that expedition. this is most welcome pleasant news at this time.  The photos shown on NBC shows a ship that is well preserved, much better than the Titanic.  After much adversity for the crew, they survived.  And, even their ship, while sunk, seems to have survived in a much better condition than one would have expected after 106 years.  

• Like 2

I have visited Shackleton's grave site on S. Georgia Island.   Frank Wild's remains were moved from his grave to S. Georgia and he is buried alongside of Shackleton's there.  Our group toasted the 2 of them on our visit there.

DON

• Like 2

I figured there'd be a thread about this. Truly fascinating!  https://endurance22.org   Terrific and very interesting website. Very special, of course, to anyone that has been down there. Seeing some of the iceberg and penguin pics brought back great memories of our '17 trip. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

I figured there'd be a thread about this. Truly fascinating!  https://endurance22.org   Terrific and very interesting website. Very special, of course, to anyone that has been down there. Seeing some of the iceberg and penguin pics brought back great memories of our '17 trip. 

Thank you for posting this.  Anyone visiting Antarctica needs to do some reading/learning about those who preceded us in exploring this continent in order to truly appreciate what you will be experiencing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, john2003 said:

So great that Endurance is so well preserved and sitting majestically on the sea floor.

Absolutely! A finding of great significance for sure. Shackleton would be astounded. He'd probably want it brought back up so he could try another journey!  There are great pics on the website. One shows the wheel - does indeed look to be in terrific shape. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Absolutely! A finding of great significance for sure. Shackleton would be astounded. He'd probably want it brought back up so he could try another journey!  There are great pics on the website. One shows the wheel - does indeed look to be in terrific shape. 

When one compares the pictures of Endurance with those of Titanic, the differences are striking.  Of course, the way the ships sank would have made a difference.

I have been interested in the few marine life that are seen in the photos.  I think they are Sea Anemones, colorless, and larger than what would be found in tropical waters.  Does anyone have any thoughts about this?  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have been interested in the few marine life that are seen in the photos.  I think they are Sea Anemones, colorless, and larger than what would be found in tropical waters.  Does anyone have any thoughts about this?  

Saw this on the BBC web site.  Part way through the article they identify some of the species in the photos.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60696085

We had been participating in the educational outreach live streams with the Endurance22.org onboard team since the ship left Cape Town, thus it was very exciting for the students (and us too) when the announcement was made.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topkatz said:

Saw this on the BBC web site.  Part way through the article they identify some of the species in the photos.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60696085

I gratefully appreciate you posting this.  As a Zoology major in college and a science teacher, the marine life that I have seen in these photos has interested me very much.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I assume that they will not desecrate and loot the wreck like they did after the Titanic was found.  The location and the depth as well as Antarctic treaty rules should keep it safe.

DON

I want to hope that you are correct in your thinking.  Did I recall reading in the information published by the organization that found the ship that they wanted to keep it in its current condition?  Need to go back to their site and re-read it.  

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I want to hope that you are correct in your thinking.  Did I recall reading in the information published by the organization that found the ship that they wanted to keep it in its current condition?  Need to go back to their site and re-read it.  

The team gets no say in it. Endurance is designated a monument under the International Antarctic Treaty and cannot be disturbed. 

It was already designated as such (HSM-93) before it was found so any search expedition teams were bound by that. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_Sites_and_Monuments_in_Antarctica

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for the information.  I don't have Direct TV, however.  

You did not miss anything.  I watched the show.  It was 90 minutes long.  Half of it was on the Shackleton expedition.  Most of the rest was taken on board the ship that was looking for the Endurance.  Maybe the last minute was a few shots of the wreck.  A total waste of 90 minutes of my life.  LOL!!

DON

• Thanks 1