Staying near Ostia Antica

puppycanducruise

Our cruise ends at Civitavecchia and our flight home leaves the following day.  We have been to Rome before and with only a day after the cruise, we wondered about staying in the Ostia Antica area.  We haven't been to Ostia Antica so we would explore the ruins in the afternoon.  Any recommendations on hotel and/or restaurants?

I think @Hlitner has stayed (and eaten) in Ostia and might have some suggestions, although they may require a car. 

There aren't a lot of hotels available -- I would just decide whether you want to be close to the ruins or close to the beach and then pick one with relatively good reviews.

• Thanks 1

I do not recall any hotels within shouting distance of Ostia.   There is a restaurant (more like a cafeteria) at the entrance to the ruins and a few sandwich shops and cafes within a 10 min walk from the entrance.  This is a place to visit on a day trip but not an area to stay.   If we have a car we then prefer to stay in Fiumcino which is a nearby sea resort community with its share of hotels/motels and a good selection of restaurants (some facing the sea).   Others on CC have talked about other nearby resort towns (all along the coast) so there are lots of options.

For those who do not want to use a rental car you would need to consider distance and how much you will need to pay for taxis.  It is not difficult to get taxis in this part of Italy.

Hank

Here's a 

4 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Thanks for the info, I think we'll stay in Rome.

If you want to explore Ostia Antica you could stay at a hotel near the airport and take a short taxi ride to the site and then back. Or if you stay in Rome, you can get there using the metro and train (very easy).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Here's a 

If you want to explore Ostia Antica you could stay at a hotel near the airport and take a short taxi ride to the site and then back. Or if you stay in Rome, you can get there using the metro and train (very easy).

We have a tour planned in Ostia during our stay in Rome in May and have already plotted the trip using the Metro & train. Hoping it turns out to be as easy as it looks and as you say! 🙂 

I am planning to stay in Ostia on my next trip with flight out of FCO.  It's close to the airport, near the Ostia Antica ruins and sea shore, and booked Hotel La Scaletta which has a  shuttle. 

Hotel La Scaletta [TA 4.5▲ #1 of 8 in Lido di Ostia]

Lungomare Paolo Toscanelli 130, Ostia, Rome 00121

+39 06 5672522

• Thanks 1

Thanks @cruisemom42 we are considering staying at the airport and getting a taxi.  Any idea how much time we should allot to exploring the ruins?

@SUESEABEthanks for the info.

I guess we still haven't decided what to do.  Oh well, more research 🙂

Edited by puppycanducruise