Tipping for Ship Excursions on European Cruise

kmezz

Tipping is not expected in northern Europe and should in general be avoided. 

But if you still feel like you need to, tipping in euro in non-euro countries can be done. It is an inconvenience but manageable. Tipping in US-dollars however is downright rude.

• Like 5

On 3/23/2022 at 12:46 PM, VMax1700 said:

As it states strictly optional!  and the 10% and 5% rates are advised specifically for those who would consider 15% or 20% the minimum that they tip. 

Please keep American customs in America and when in Europe help maintain European customs. 

Thank you. 

If this is a European custom, then I am curious as to why this European Tourism Company gives percentages as tipping recommendations. I get what you are saying and I typically do not tip when I am in Europe, so I was puzzled when I saw this recommendation on my receipt. Subsequently, how do you suggest we maintain this custom when partaking in one of their tours? No tip? or, very small tip? Better yet...Should we ask them if the guides and drivers are being paid a reduced salary and the tipping is to supplement their income? Any suggestion will be helpful. 

6 hours ago, Pace67 said:

I was puzzled when I saw this recommendation on my receipt….Should we ask them if the guides and drivers are being paid a reduced salary

Unfortunately, I do not think it is useful to ask, as these companies operate on the edge of the law with guides who are not directly employed but work freelance - this also applies to a number of providers of 'free walking tours’.
As mentioned in previous post, service and VAT should be included in prices.  If the total price is not clearly stated in the advertised price, it is illegal - it is not enough to write it in the receipt. -  If it is not clearly stated when ordering, I would not pay gratuity.

- alternatively you can compare prices with other providers who follow the law.

I only know the specific legislation in Denmark, but assume it is uniform in the EU.

8 hours ago, Pace67 said:

If this is a European custom, then I am curious as to why this European Tourism Company gives percentages as tipping recommendations. I get what you are saying and I typically do not tip when I am in Europe, so I was puzzled when I saw this recommendation on my receipt. Subsequently, how do you suggest we maintain this custom when partaking in one of their tours? No tip? or, very small tip? Better yet...Should we ask them if the guides and drivers are being paid a reduced salary and the tipping is to supplement their income? Any suggestion will be helpful. 

I agree with @hallasm.  

If you must tip, then tip small.  Their guidelines, per couple.

Personally, we would not tip, unless something really really exceptional happened.

Perhaps, instead of taking their tipping guidelines as an indication that tipping is necessary, take it as an indication that if you feel you really must tip, then here is a maximum figure.  Anything above it is overly ostentatious and may be misunderstood by the recipient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/21/2022 at 1:27 PM, terrydtx said:

From what I have read using Eoros in any NON EU country is fine as it can be easily exchanged and is some cases much more stable than the local currency. We plan to take Euros for use locally on our 33 day trip to Italy, Croatia and Greece this summer.

Depends on the country and the proximity to a Euro currency country. 

Eg. Mainland UK. Nowhere accepts euros other than a few airport shops. In Northern Ireland and the Republic some shops near the border accept both, away from the border, in the Republic its Euros only. 

Basically, most establishments in most countries in Europe only accept that countries currency. There are lots of places to change money, so not a problem

On 3/21/2022 at 12:13 PM, kmezz said:

If you are taking ship excursions do you have to tip in the currency of the country you are visiting or are US dollars ok?  We are visiting some countries that the Euro is not the currency so it would be a few different currencies. Thanks! 

Would it be OK to tip in Euros when in the US? 

Show respect for the places you are visiting by having the correct currency if you intend to tip, but in lots of European countries tipping isn't necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/21/2022 at 2:00 PM, whoshwhosh said:

Going to Norway.  Would Euro's be accepted there for tips and small purchases?  Bergen and Stavenger would be the cities I would most likely make purchases.

No

On 3/21/2022 at 3:45 PM, Denny01 said:

For shore excursions, a few websites recommend tipping and at about a $5US equivalent/person and in local cash. But since the guides work with international customers, using US or Euro wouldn’t be that much of an issue. So tipping is nice to do, and not worry to about what is used. Their banks will accept it, maybe at a charge, but not a big deal. 

Yes, tipping differs a good deal in Europe and N Europe, but many round up to the next whole amount as a tip, including ‘locals’, from my more limited experience. 

den

European banks don't usually accept or handle 'foreign' currencies. We go to a bureau de change to get the correct currency for the country we are visiting, or for any other country we are going to visit. 

I once worked out that taking into account conversion, fees, travel, time and parking charges, if I need to convert leftover cash to sterling 10 US (or equivilent) is break-even. As it is a hassle to do I dont bother converting anything under 20 US. 

Edited by KBs mum

10 hours ago, hallasm said:

I only know the specific legislation in Denmark, but assume it is uniform in the EU.

Without knowing the specific laws, the legislation in Sweden is pretty similar.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hallasm said:

Unfortunately, I do not think it is useful to ask, as these companies operate on the edge of the law with guides who are not directly employed but work freelance - this also applies to a number of providers of 'free walking tours’.
As mentioned in previous post, service and VAT should be included in prices.  If the total price is not clearly stated in the advertised price, it is illegal - it is not enough to write it in the receipt. -  If it is not clearly stated when ordering, I would not pay gratuity.

- alternatively you can compare prices with other providers who follow the law.

5 minutes ago, Apel said:

Without knowing the specific laws, the legislation in Sweden is pretty similar.

Same in the UK

• Thanks 1

I just don't understand why people insist on tipping in areas where the staff are paid good wages and the service charge is included in the price of the service being offered. If you want to show your appreciation, say thank you and write a nice review.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I just don't understand why people insist on tipping in areas where the staff are paid good wages and the service charge is included in the price of the service being offered. If you want to show your appreciation, say thank you and write a nice review.

I guess it’s kind of similar to the discussions going on in other threads such as about Celebrity not having self-serve laundry. Many state they are happy it isn’t avail and don’t want it, and those that would use it ask the obvious: “Why does it matter to you? If you aren’t going to use it, just walk by it’. 

And as for tipping where staff are paid ‘good wages’, many such countries, ‘local’s’ round up the bill or leave 5% or so for good service and so on. In my understanding, there are only 3 countries that I’ve heard where tipping is considered rude: China, Japan and Korea. Many don’t have tipping at the level of US, but tipping is in many places is done quite commonly. 

Personally, I’m always surprised at the level of adverse discussions tipping brings on…..you’d think it cost someone a few extra bucks or so!! And our couse the excuse is “I dont want to offend the staff”……yeah right.

And yes, I’ve seen the posts of a number of Europeans insisting no one they know tips…….well, I know more than a few here in the US who tip so cheaply that I make sure I pay my own bill if out with them. In so many cases, tipping wherever has a lot more to be with being cheap than not wanting to ‘offend’ some staff or service person. 

Den

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I guess it’s kind of similar to the discussions going on in other threads such as about Celebrity not having self-serve laundry. Many state they are happy it isn’t avail and don’t want it, and those that would use it ask the obvious: “Why does it matter to you? If you aren’t going to use it, just walk by it’. 

And as for tipping where staff are paid ‘good wages’, many such countries, ‘local’s’ round up the bill or leave 5% or so for good service and so on. In my understanding, there are only 3 countries that I’ve heard where tipping is considered rude: China, Japan and Korea. Many don’t have tipping at the level of US, but tipping is in many places is done quite commonly. 

Personally, I’m always surprised at the level of adverse discussions tipping brings on…..you’d think it cost someone a few extra bucks or so!! And our couse the excuse is “I dont want to offend the staff”……yeah right.

And yes, I’ve seen the posts of a number of Europeans insisting no one they know tips…….well, I know more than a few here in the US who tip so cheaply that I make sure I pay my own bill if out with them. In so many cases, tipping wherever has a lot more to be with being cheap than not wanting to ‘offend’ some staff or service person. 

Den

The original question was what to do about tipping, with the implication that the OP has difficulty getting the local currencies in small denominations. 

This is a fairly common concern amongst US people. 

All us 'locals' are saying in this case is that tipping isn't necessary, so the problem is nonexistent. 

Whilst tipping does happen it is not automatic or routine, most locals won't tip most of the time. Even in cultures where tipping in itself is not offensive circumstances and how it is done can make it so. 

It's about respect and basic good manners. If you tell a local that you are going to ignore their ways of doing things when in their country, and try to impose your cultural norms instead, you will get a negative reaction. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, KBs mum said:

It's about respect and basic good manners. If you tell a local that you are going to ignore their ways of doing things when in their country, and try to impose your cultural norms instead, you will get a negative reaction. 

It's really this.  Since the pandemic, I've tipped 25+% here at home, because I know US service workers are paid squat.  Not tipping, or tipping lightly, in a country that doesn't tip like the US is not about being cheap.

If we travel to learn more about the world, then it behooves us to understand the culture we are in, not just assume our way is better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Excellent advice.

As has been mentioned by one of the Scandinavian posters, credit card payment is becoming ever more usual in these COVID times.  Some cc readers allow the option to add a gratuity but others don’t. On a recent visit where we enjoyed excellent service we were faced with one of the latter options. When I queried how I might tip the wait staff they replied that they don’t work for tips but appreciate positive reviews. Apparently the management read the reviews regularly and the number of excellent PSA received the better the wait team bonus.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, duquephart said:

basically a no tipping culture?

Yes, basically a no tipping culture.

By law the price stated to the consumer must include service plus VAT - and employer must pay the employees a fixed salary.

This is also the case for employees at restaurants. 

On 3/21/2022 at 11:08 AM, kmezz said:

but wondered about tipping.

Tipping is not done in most of Europe. The reason tipping happens in America is because for so long, servers and other staff in restaurants received a very, very low flat amount of money to work, and were expected to earn most of their money in tips. Somewhat similar for workers in related lines of work. Certain businesses have switched to paying salaries, but it goes slow.

This has never been the case in Europe, employees have never or, rarely, had to rely on tips for their earnings. Tipping has been an "imported" from America practice that some companies have picked up on (shorex, drivers, etc.. and why not?) because they realized travelers were going to do it anyway. Why turn down extra money?

Unless you are hiring someone like a student or independent (not working for an known company or group) person such as a historian, or particular person to guide you, you need not give anyone extra money once you have paid the cost of the tour. The tour company is paying the guide. The always wonderful and polite thank you is all that's necessary. 🙂

If you come from a place in the world that is known, or notable, for something, often it can be nice to bring something relevant to your hometown, be it a postcard/fridge magnet, or whatever it might be known for, if that is practical to travel with and distribute as a thank you. In many cultures, exchanging small tokens is usually much more accepted than giving money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Both Norway and Sweden are more or less cashless societies, so use credit cards for payments. Ours make no charges for foreign transactions.

Tou4 guides in Europe are very well paid an£ have often studied extensively for their operators licence.

There is no need to tip.

we used Alla Tours in SPB, but are they still allowed to operate outside Russia in the current climate?

• Thanks 2